Split shot for steelhead nymphing

ben664

Reaction score
Hi !

An other question for the steelheaders:

What kind of split shot are you using for nymphing ? I think BB, SSG and smallers ones are good, but what type ?

There is no doubt that fish spook from shiny new split shot. Are green, tin or dull dust split shot are good ? What is your favorite shot brand ?

I have in mind: Redwing Tackle, Dinsmores and Raven

Thanks

random user

Reaction score
Get a rattle can of self etching primer. It's pretty much flat oilve and sticks well to any type of metal.

Lay the shot out on a sheet of newspaper. Get them a light blast out of the can. let them sit for a few hours, roll them over and blast the other side lightly. repeat until shot is covered. You end up with basically olive drab split shot with a coating that isn't inhibitive nor is it coming off easily since it etched itself into the metal. (Out side is better for application because the self etching primer really smells.)

No clue how steelhead would react to it, but trout don't seem to mind it.

trout champ

Reaction score
Never been steelheading, but for picky tailwater trout in Colorado I use small BB sized split shot with Mojo Mud Tungsten Putty and it works great.

Randy

ben664

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have to try your idea Random user !

Also I have to try the tip with the shots in water an vinegar (2 days) and have a better color split shot (dull)

oarfish

Reaction score
I use Dinsmores and other no name non toxic shot, in past times I would use rubber tubing and stick lead or slinkies and a swivel or twistons, at present I’ll use a rubber band pined by a corkie or plastic, glass or tungsten bead with a tooth pick to keep the weight away from the offering. I believe by using the rubber band it gives me a better touch with the bottom and breaks away easily if snagged.

Rick