Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Yellowstone

Default Yellowstone

Hopefully going to Yellowstone this or next summer, any info on where to catch some fish or any local fly shops we should stop at? Thanks
    Carter Klatt
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    A day spent not fly-fishing is a day wasted.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Yellowstone

Hi Carter,

I have an idea that just may be a good one. Stay with the forum, post to threads and ask as many questions as you need to ask. Over time you will figure out which members live near or fish that area. Then (if I were you) I would ask via PM to some guys who are there where they think will be best when you are going to show up. if the trip is all about fishing the Park may not be the best destination. I've been and didn't find it to be outstanding but outside the park in both Wyoming and Montana there were more opportunities than I can remember.

Fly shops are cool and if you have no local folks to help you they are a whole lot better than no guidance at all. You gotta figure, at a shop you will get the same advice as the guys who held the door for you when they were leaving as you came in......... Unless you hire a guide from the shop, there is common knowledge advice and there is proprietary advice. What you want is the proprietary kind. You need a local for the real inside info, it's time to make some friends

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Likes shortyb, troutonfly10 liked this post

Bob Jacklin's.

5. Likes mrfzx, roadkill1948 liked this post

Having spent a little time in that area, I happen to agree with Hardyreels and would focus my attention on areas just outside YNP. This will provide an overview of some of the "other" nearby waters:

The Rivers of Southern Montana - Fly Fishing Information and Photos

For Shops, I am kinda' partial to Parks in Gardiner, Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone and The Troutfitter on the Henry's Fork...

This might come in handy:

...and this is where I spend a lot of my time when I am up there...

That's Silver's side of the River...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

7. Likes troutonfly10 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I too will be in West Yellowstone this June... So looking forward to fishing water I have not been on in a while. I look forward to meeting in person many of the guys/ guides / shop owners I deal with all season long. Its a family trip, with three days scheduled for fly fishing only.... should be fun. I look forward to reading what people have to post on the subject.
    Thanks

Thanks for that chart Mr Planet...t

ted...trout bum/wandering monk
    public water 20"er
    public land pope & young

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à f́reach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire.
    a fish from the river, a rod from the woods and a stag from the mountain , thefts ne'er a Gael was ashamed
    ...and old gaelic proverb...

my blog & website
    http://wmflyrodco.com/

If your in Montana in June you should make your way to hardin one night after fishing and hit the bighorn the next day. its a bit of a drive, about 4 or 5 hours at least from ynp(maybe more) but june is good on the bighorn.

Will be in West Yellowstone around mid September.......I plan on dropping a "few dollars into the collection box.." and working my way up river from there........too bad I couldn't make it work out for November, with a 6 weight rod and a sinking tip line.........maybe next year.......
    yonder

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton