Polorized glasses.Yes or NO?

gzarboni

Reaction score
I was wondering if I need polorized glasses? Do they really make a difference? Do they help when trying to navagate the river while wading? If they are a must, which ones are good. I have seen them at walmart for $10-$15 bucks but i have also seen the ones in the Orvis catalog for $250. Anyone out there that can give me some advice? Thanks

Last edited:

williamhj

Reaction score
Yes they are helpful. They help you see the contours of the river bottom and improve your ability to spot fish. Use the search function in the bar above, right next to 'new posts' and type in sunglasses. There was a recent thread in which people talked about their favorites. Personally I got a good deal on some Natives and am happy with them.

mrfzx

Reaction score
IMHO polarized sunglasses....and I mean good ones, are INDESPENSIBLE!!! I prefer Costa del Mar....but there are other good ones out there. Beware of counterfites!

half fast

Reaction score
They're very helpful for seeing into the water, and also for cutting glare off the water even when you're just looking across the water.

Are the $250 glasses better than the $15 variety? Yes. Enough to justify the extra cost? Not to me, but that's a personal decision. As often as sunglasses get dropped overboard, sat on, stepped on, etc., I can't see spending hundreds on them. For me, the cheap ones work well enough.

Last edited:

FrankB2

Reaction score
They won't help you see better in murky water, so don't expect that. ;) They can't hurt, and after wearing cheapo clip-ons for years, I finally plunked down $450 for prescription polarized sunglasses. That was mostly because I bought a convertible last Fall, however. :D

I have been able to see fish with polarized sunglasses that were invisible when the sunglasses were removed. You're still going to have to look carefully, but they do help. You'll still need to know where the likely spots are on a stream, and be careful not to get too close while using your new X-Ray vision goggles.

Being able to see the bottom while wading is a great help. I've posted that my wife slipped and broke her ankle two years ago, and that was in less than a foot of water, so it's not just the deeper spots that pose a danger. ;)

nm_gringo

Reaction score
I have found that when paying over 60$, you are really paying for stronger materials (frame/lens), not necessarily better eye protection.

I have owned 160$ oakleys and 45$ Natives and they both protected my eyes and cut glare the same. The oakleys were maybe a bit more durable, but ill never spend that much again on shades.

runningfish

Reaction score
A pair of good polarized sunglasses are as important as to have a fly on your fly line.
I have a beaten $12 Berkley Polarized Sunglasses that I often put on for running. along side the Oakley. They'll do the trick as well.

gzarboni

Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick replies. At least I know that I need a pair. What kind and how much I want to spend is the next question.

theboz

Reaction score
What you spend will depend on what your willing to spend! I'm with runningfish as I have a good pair of Oakleys as well as a cheaper pair of Berkleys. Both do the job. Being a contact lens wearer and always outside I'm never without sunglasses and I always have an extra pair in the car. It's amazing how even in low light at the end of the day how much more you can see in the water with the polarized! Many times even at dusk I can spot a follow up with shades on that I otherwise would not have seen!

coug

Reaction score
Yes, get them, for wading safely if nothing else. Try them on. I have owned several pair over the past 20 years. The most expensive were also so uncomfortable that I stopped using them, so don't let price be your guide. Also, a little trick that I use is that my company gives me $150 every two years for new glasses. I use my allowance on good polarized fishing sunglasses with bifocals, and get cheap costco specials for my everyday glasses. Priorities I guess!

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Re: Polarized glasses.Yes or NO?

Need Polarized lens? Without question you need them, but do you have to spend hundreds to get a good set? Only did that once and still think it was one of the dumbest expenditures I've ever made.

The one thing that the 'expensive' ones bring to the Party is 'what colour' are the lens. Now that, depending upon where you're fishing can make a real difference. As an example if I were fishing Salt Water the lens colour choice would be 'X,' fishing in a river the best answer could be 'Y.'

The one thing you do want is a frame that's wide across the side of your face to cut out glare. If you already have to sport prescription eye ware, just drop fifty bucks and get 'Cocoons.' Only come in two lens colours, so that's limited, but one/the other works a treat 90%+ of the time.

The other 10% I just use Costco clip on's. :shades:

jcw355

Reaction score
Get them, but buy the best you can afford. For me, I like to try and get the best the first time around so I'll have no regrets later. My waders, vest, boots, sunglasses and flyrods, I'm satisfied with and really don't see any upgrades to those. I've upgraded one time and that was when I knew I wanted to flyfish and not just try it.

gzarboni

Reaction score
Thanks Guys I appericate all the advice given. My wife just picked up a pair of Under Armour glasses for me and they are awesome.

flyfishmich

Reaction score
I hope I am not too late for the party.

Yes, you need them

Not that you need the high dollar ones but I will tell you what I have.

I have Oakley Monster dog with the VR28 Lens. they are made and designed for fishing. I have other lens colors and they do not come close to matching the abilities of the VR28 lens. They do not block out ALL of the light-just the harmful rays that damage sight. Also, they are polarized that will cut glare and help you differentiate colors in the water better. I like them to spot fish and to highlight my footing-they may have saved my bacon by my not walking into a deep hole. they block out enough light to make them a functional sunglass but light enough to wear them into that late afternoon early evening and still be effective. the frame is large enough to block out reflective light coming up off the water

Oakley also makes 2 other lenses called the deep blue and the blue. Deep blue is designed for deeper blue water and the blue is for shallower blue water.

So I consider the VR28 lens a jack of all trades. You can get that lens in many of their frames. I got mine on ebay for 120 bucks. Well worth it.

Oops, I see you got Under Armor set. Those should be fine too. But when you are up for another pair check out Oakley. I hear costa del mar and maui jim also make fishing specific polarized lens

gzarboni

Reaction score
Hey flyfishmich, It is never to late to join any of my parties. Thank you for weighing in. I am new to flyfishing so just speaking with other fly guys about anything is awesome. I will look at the Oakley glasses. I am one of those people that likes to have 2 of everything. Just in case. I already own 2 pairs of Oakley sunglasses but they are not polorized. Any time you want to talk fishing PM me. I am always looking to learn something.:cool:

gutterpunk

Reaction score
Since no one has mentioned them...

I have worn (and have now) polarized glasses that cost 30 to 200 dollars. (Actually, more than $200 once--was is a little surf village in Costa Rica and did the currency conversion wrong in my head. Still not sure what I paid, but it was a pile. Nice glasses though).

They tend to be like wine--more expensive generally correlates to better quality, but only to a certain point. When you lose or break those Under Armours, try a pair of Suncloud. You can find them in most fly shops and gear stores. They are made by Smith and have the same lenses as more expensive Smiths, but use cheaper generic frames so any pair is $49. I always buy the regular amber color. I tend to lose glasses--I think I'm on my fourth or fifth pair of this brand. They fit my face well, have great lenses, and don't break the bank.

Suncloud.

mrfzx

Reaction score
If the only reason you are wearing sunglasses is to see fish, then ignore the rest of the post.....

I have been doctoring for a VERY serious eye disease since I was 13 years old (thats 34 years now), and my opthamologist had a very candid, frank conversation about sunglasses with me. He said cheap sunglasses were worse than nothing at all. The biggest issue health-wise is UV protection, and no matter what the labeling reads, you will absolutely get better UV protection from better sunglasses. Dark lensed glasses dilate the pupil. If the lenses do not filter out the UV rays....particularly the UV B and C rays, then you are actually allowing MORE of those rays to reach your retina than if you wore nothing and allowed your pupils to shrink to pin-points.

As I said he was very candid with me, and gave me three brands to choose from: Costa del Mar, Smith Optics, and Maui Jims, in that order. He does not sell sunglasses (nor prescription glasses either) so has nothing in recommending any brand other than his patient's health. Take it for what its worth, but I have trusted my vision to this doctor since 1991 (there were others before him) and what he says is gospel to me.

Last edited:

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
hands down, one of the most important pieces of fishing equipment you will ever own. There are many, many less expensive options.

Kelly.

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
A MUST have...not only to help spotting fish.

I mostly fish small streams in the GSMNP. Its down-right dangerous not to have them while wading.

I had forgotten my Costa's at home...so, i picked up a cheap pair($28) at Bass Pro. When compared to my Costa's...well lets just say..the Costa's where lighter and fit a little better. Thats about it.

If your on a budget...the cheaper glasses are just fine.

Jim