Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Purple Haze

Default Purple Haze

spelThis may be better suited for the "Fly" forum, but I figured more use them than tie them. So here goes.....

A friend has suggested strongly that I bring some "Purple Haze" Adams with me to Montana this July (first week). We will be fishing the East and West forks of the Bitterroot, the Lochsa, and the Selway among others. I have seen them tied in the parachute configuration. Has anybody tried them in the conventional wrapped hackle style? Which is better? He also told me not to tie them too small, and suggested 14's and 12's. Anybodies thoughts?

One more question: what is your favorite dry fly flotant?
    Last edited by mrfzx; 06-03-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Purple Haze

Homer: Yes, I like the Purple Haze in the parachute style, never tried it in a traditional style. 12's and 14's work on the Green so I'm guessing your friend has given you some good advice.
    Larry

3. Likes mrfzx liked this post

Fish see purple really well. It works here in CO so I'm guessing it would work in MT too. My favorite floatant is Aqueal first thing in the morning or whenever I change flies. Then use Moon Dust or Frogg's Fanny to touch up. I've also been playing with Tiemco's Shimmy Shakky aerosol spray and have had great results.

Randy
    “Fishing for me, as funny as it sounds, is sorta my brand of praying almost. I’m never closer to my spirituality than when I’m in the act of fishing.” - JT Van Zandt

And I float my flies with Fly Sauce...pure silicon goodness! I didn't know Jimi tied flies?

Homer, the Purple Haze is a parachute pattern. I've never heard of or seen a traditionally hackled Purple Haze. Follow your friend's advice. I don't think it's a magic fly, but it sure has gained popularity out here over the past few years. I still use plain old grey parachute Adams. Sometimes hare's ear bodies.

There is a guide down the 'Root that made up a pattern he calls the Brindle Chute...just another parachute fly but with a unique body color. His is a secret blend of olive, rusty orange, gold I think. He swears by it, of course.

Good luck when you get out here! Enjoy the country down there, the forks are really nice streams with great cutthroats. Don't pass up the fishing the middle river on your way to the Lochsa.

Here is one that is not tied parachute style. With the soft hackle perhaps it is intended to be fished sub-surface?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYcxmRmyFxo]The Purple Haze - YouTube[/ame]
    - William

8. Likes gzarboni liked this post

For me Purple haze mean something else..... just put purple haze on Google, and you'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by ben664 View Post

For me Purple haze mean something else..... just put purple haze on Google, and you'll see!
    Yeah, I thought I was going to click in here to see old footage of Jimi Hendrix fly-fishing... upside-down, left-handed of course!
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring