Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Woolly Buggers for Trout

Woolly buggers became one of my favorite trout flies over the last week. Recent rain meant water clarity was poor. A bigger offering that was easier for trout to locate was just what they wanted.

One of the best things about woolly buggers is how versatile they are. They can be drifted, stripped, twitched, swung, and fished down and across. Theyre effective in sizes 2-12. You can catch stocker trout or big wild fish.

Everyone knows that big brown trout are nocturnal predators, but Id never fished for trout at night before. Thirty minutes into throwing black beaded woolly buggers on one of my favorite Driftless Area streams had me hooked. Detecting the strike isnt much of an issue. The first one I caught gave a violent take just under the surface. The second 16″+ brown trout charged my drifting bugger. You dont have to worry about setting the hook.

The next day I found myself on a portion of stream Id never fished. It was known for big browns. The water was murky, and I knew Id have to throw something they could find. After swinging a #4 olive woolly bugger over a downed tree I hit a snag. Nope, big brown trout. I caught two more within 10 minutes, and would pull several more good sized wild trout out of the stretch. The success I had on those two outings gave me the confidence to keep slinging buggers for the next five days. Im glad I did because I caught a lot more trout, and the ones I caught were bigger than average.

Read my fishing blog RodandRivet.com

2. Likes mcnerney, tbum2020, baseman1, tpo, kylebass91 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Woolly Buggers for Trout

Congrats on the very successful outing and beautiful trout!
    Larry

I have been known to favor a bugger or two in my day!

Good fishing!

5. Likes mbchilton liked this post

Hands down the most over looked,under stated bug about.

Scott

7. Likes fredaevans, mbchilton liked this post
    Blog Entries

Woolly Buggers work well on other fish, too.

Dennis

9. Likes mbchilton liked this post

Ahhh... the woolly bugger, it was first fly I ever tied and will forever be the mascot of my lifetime journey through the art of fly fishing.

11. Likes mcnerney, rccola712 liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post

Dennis
    More power to Dennis for the above. Other that just change the colour, this would be (if I had to pick) one of the only two flies I'd carry. The other would be a bead head Prince Nymph.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Great thread and just the kind of verification I was looking for with nymphing. I haven't done too much and normally go with dry flies late in the season but a few hours ago I ordered a nice beadhead assortment that's loaded with prince nymphs and woolly buggers.
    Can't wait to get these in the water.
    ~Todd
    "...Nympin' ain't Easy"

Chief Thread Starter
    Mother Approved...

Quote Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post

Dennis
    One of my favorite statements is"Give me 4 sizes and 3 color and I will never need another fly".Of course you could never tell that by the masses of tying material I have. LOL

Scott

To date most of my trout have been caught on streamers. Specifically krystal olive woolly buggers. I guess the rubber legs add more vibrations and push more water. They're more successful on a down and across and usually get hit on a swing and even an upstream retrieve.

Love em.
    "...all snobbery is defensive..and as important as fishing seems, the most important thing about it is, it's just fishing."

-- John Gierach

Art: http://www.gravenfish.com

My TU:
    http://massanuttentu.com

16. Likes mcnerney, kylebass91 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast