Egg Patterns for stocked trout?

angelo1987

Reaction score
This spring wasn't good fishing for stocked trout in my local lakes. I order some Egg Patterns from #8-#14 (pink, chart, orange, light orange) and strike indicators, they kinda of look like power bait which they eat a lot of when stocked. Are egg patterns a good idea? :confused:

russellb

Reaction score
Fish the eggs, I'm certain that someone will turn their nose up, whatever.... Lets be real, they are stockers put there to be caught. Cast the egg, catch fish, smile, repeat.....

stenacron

Reaction score
Never fished egg patterns in stillwaters before. You might want to Google/try some Chironomid patterns... Snow Cones are a very popular (and effective) pattern for fishing below indicators. These patterns imitate the rising midge pupae found in freshwater lakes. Not the most exciting fishing on earth, but it works.

Don't worry about imitating Power Bait. Stocked trout wise up pretty quick to the food that's available to them.

Otherwise I prefer something that has some movement to it (Wooly Bugger, streamer, soft hackle, swimming nymph, etc.).

theboz

Reaction score
Once the trout become acclimated the egg patterns will become less and less effective! Try flashy streamers and bright flys like Royal Coachman and flashy buggers. Works for me!

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

Another thing to consider is that those lakes have warmed up considerably now so you might want to seek out colder spots in the lakes such as feeders and deeper pools.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Power Bait works because it's easy for the trout to spot and it smells like food, not because it looks like fish eggs.
If you want to "scent" your flies, you go right ahead. Just be sure and check your state regulations as it may not be all that legal

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't have any real experience with power bait, but this reminds me of a camping trip to Red Feather Lakes, CO a few years back. I took the drift boat so my son and grandson could do some trout fishing and just enyoy rowing around the lake. My son setup my grandson's spinning rod with some power bait, while I fished nymphs with my fly rod. The fishing was pretty slow, but then it was in the middle of the day, my grandson didn't get any action on the power bait. I hooked into a nice 14" rainbow, gave the rod to my grandson and you should have seen his eyes light up, made the whole trip.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
My only experience with Power Bait is that I tried to get it banned from the "pay-to-fish" ponds that I managed.
That went over like the big lead balloon. :rolleyes:
Gotta say though, there were only a very few guys that had it mastered and they used noodle rods with 2# test line.
Big stocked fish are not pushovers.

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
Some of my first fish on a fly rod came on egg patters fishing for stocked trout. I had egg patters because I fished for steelhead on my noodle spinning rod with them (exceptionally effective back in the day). So I tried them for trout on the fly rod and it worked like a charm. I was fishing creeks, though. Not sure how it would play on stillwater, as I'm not much of a stillwater fisherman.

Cheers,
Mike.

Joni

Reaction score
I read it somewhere and so tried it. TAN EGG. It imitates the pellets the stockers were fed. It actually worked!
But I am a Chironomid under Indy or Type VII girl.

bquick

Reaction score
I'd try something that looks like what they are eating. Close by is a small lake with stocked trout that slam the wooly buggers and #14 bead head prince nymphs. Peacock catches trout. ;) I've tried egg patterns, but never had a hook up on one.

The largest trout I have hooked there were probably holdovers, 17-18", all taken on woolly buggers stripped in as fast as I could.

angelo1987

Reaction score
I fished Woolly buggers all last year and only manage to catch 2 (Black with flash). I did manage to miss a few during winter stocking with a i dont know what I tie but it did make some dart for it but they usually fell short. When they are stocked mostly the 1st or second week sometimes they stay near the bottom. I've try Griffith gnat's/damsels/damsels nymphs and a few others it just don't seem they are taking dries/terrestrial but they was rising everywhere and their was bugs on the water. Any know of good Stillwater nymphs?