Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pat's Rubberlegs

Default Re: Pat's Rubberlegs

This is my go-to fly for the top of a tandem rig as well--and this is in N. Ga streams (especially the well-managed trophy waters). Color seems to matter--yesterday I landed several large bows and a brown on a green/brown combo (they ignored the smaller fare below it). A 23" rainbow inhaled one--thank god I was fishing barbless! A few weeks ago it was orange and brown that was the ticket. I'd love to find them in smaller sizes as well--like a mini-PRL. Unfortunately I have not invested in tying equipment yet...

I love the tip about tying the dropper to the hook eye--I'm going to try that, thanks!

Colorado browns love this fly. These are from today on the Arkansas river!

My buddy muzzy caught a nice fish on one as well!

3. Likes thewalker1013 liked this post

Isn't that the same fly as a Girdle Bug, except with a different leg material?
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Very cool pics Kirk.

It may not matter but I forgot to mention that I intentionally left those legs long so you could trim them to what you want, but it looks like long is working.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
    Isn't that the same fly as a Girdle Bug, except with a different leg material?
    Pretty much.

Kept the legs as is! More movement adds to the appeal of the fly. This was just day 1. 7 more days of fishing left. I will have more pics!

Blog Entries

I mostly nymph where I live and this is the anchor fly to all of my nymphing situations. I tie this fly weighted in sizes 4 and 6 and unweighted in 6 and 8. I fish the weighted version as the first fly in a three-fly rig, which usually includes a bead-head type pattern as the next fly and something very small in midge territory as the bottom (third) fly. Killer rig.

I also tie them in a variety of colors - here are some examples:

This is my favorite version - The "Big Ugly" Rubberlegs:

Even Whitefish love them...:

Several years ago a few friends and I fished the Big Horn in Montana. One friend fishes only with the rubberlegs and another fly as a dropper - only problem, no stoneflies in the Big Horn and he did not catch a fish in three days because he refused to switch rigs, even though the guide instructed him otherwise.

Also, I no longer add any weight to my line when nymphing as the weighted rubberlegs is adequate to get the rig down.

Kelly
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

Great go to fly, worked well on the Gallatin River a few weeks ago.
    Learned to tie them last week, not to difficult.

Not very difficult to tie, and what I love about this fly is that I am pretty sure it does not matter if the legs are the same lengths, or coming out at the same angle. Pretty sure this is just a big ugly fly with a lot of movement and a lot of fish catching characteristics. I might never stop fishing them. Going to experiment tying them in some smaller sizes and different colors today.

Yep, killer fly and so easy to tie. It is my go-to point fly for double nymph rigs. Wrap a lot of lead on that shank and don't be afraid to vary the chenille color ... but also don't get caught up in it. If it ain't broke...

Anyone fish these small, like #14 or smaller? Just curious because I never have, I stick to tying them large.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    Yep, killer fly and so easy to tie. It is my go-to point fly for double nymph rigs. Wrap a lot of lead on that shank and don't be afraid to vary the chenille color ... but also don't get caught up in it. If it ain't broke...

Anyone fish these small, like #14 or smaller? Just curious because I never have, I stick to tying them large.
    I'll tie mine in various sizes, and I've actually had some pretty good luck on 14s on a SUPER SECRET creek outside of Missoula Might be the fish though (Oh well). One great thing about tying your own flies is varying it up a bit from a shop bin. My bigger ones I'll throw on some legs reserved for streamers, leave 'em long, and let them undulate in the riffles. My thought being, most bugs aren't too keen floating mid-height, and are scuttling trying to get to safety. I've picked a few up with that pattern in the dead of winter, and it might not be the reason for the strike, but it makes me feel better if I think I had something to do with it.
    "We regarded it as our family river....and I surrender it now only with great reluctance."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast