Pat's Rubberlegs

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
I recently just discovered this fine bug and have fallen in love. I learned how to tie them, and although not perfect, I think they will fish well, so I plan on using them as my lead fly a majority of the season. I know they are supposed to represent the larger stone/salmon flies, but just curious who fishes them year round. I am currently tying them in size 12, but plan on tying them bigger as well. They are super buggy and I see no reason why they shouldn't work well after the salmon flies have hatched out and left the river. So who else is like me and plans on fishing them year round?

mudbug

Reaction score
I've never fished them, and I've never fished an area where there are salmon flies, but I did just tie some up for a fried of mine who does both of those.

He said that they life cycle of most of the stone flies is as long as 4 years.

That means that those nymphs are in the water year round, not just for a short period of time before the hatch.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, that is one great fly. I normally only use them on high water situations or larger water, maybe I should try them more often, but that is what I do. I tend to like the smaller sizes (10-12's).

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
unlike my user name, the bigger, buggier, and leggier it is, the more I fish it. Depending on the water I am fishing, I tend to fish a size 6-12 with my lead fly. I have found the leggy bugs like the Pat's work great in the deeper, fast riffles. I actually hate fishing dries. i'm a bottom dweller, haha.

trout champ

Reaction score
I fish them year round here in CO. It is a killer pattern. I have them tied up in three or four colors ranging in sizes from 4 to 12. I wrap mine in lead and sometimes through a tungsten bead up front too for added weight!

Randy

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I fish them year round. I very the sizes and colors for different stonefly nymphs.

As mentioned, they are best fished in faster and deeper water where they can tumble around.

Dennis

cptxkirk

Reaction score
Mudbug tied them for me because I'm one lazy SOB! However I will say that I fish them everywhere as my lead fly! It's a great weight and great attractor.

Like Mudbug said the life cycle of the particular stonefly it represents is something insane like 7 years and so they are constantly in the system. I would tell you to not leave home without some regardless of the size of water. I have caught fish on Pats from the Colorado to small no name creeks in AZ!

silvertip8k

Reaction score
great thread...staple pattern in Co...especially the S Platte...I think where its originator is known for (Pat Dorsey) a very respected angler ...

great success for me as a top fly in a dropper rig. and I like to tie the dropper off at the eye of the hook rather than the hook to allow for what was mentioned earlier...a bit more of a tumbling effect. It imitates a stone or even salmon fly that lost its way...LOL...big trout love big bugs...

I like a hot wire or red copper j as the dropper fly...say size 18, with the PRL in size 6-8...maybe 20 inches of tippet between.I tie the cinch knot over on the eye of the lead bug to help imitate that flailing action.(trying to get more sideways movement) bugs dont flail in perfect streamline style while drifting downstream... in tailwaters a scud can also be a good partner with this ...

I think the batting average is about 50/50 as to which bug gets the grab...greatest thing about this bug is that its an easy tie...but the big PRL also works pretty well as an attractor too. those legs bouncing around look pretty real I would imagine.

jessezm

Reaction score
This is my go-to fly for the top of a tandem rig as well--and this is in N. Ga streams (especially the well-managed trophy waters). Color seems to matter--yesterday I landed several large bows and a brown on a green/brown combo (they ignored the smaller fare below it). A 23" rainbow inhaled one--thank god I was fishing barbless! A few weeks ago it was orange and brown that was the ticket. I'd love to find them in smaller sizes as well--like a mini-PRL. Unfortunately I have not invested in tying equipment yet...

I love the tip about tying the dropper to the hook eye--I'm going to try that, thanks!

cptxkirk

Reaction score
Colorado browns love this fly. These are from today on the Arkansas river!

My buddy muzzy caught a nice fish on one as well!

mudbug

Reaction score
Very cool pics Kirk.

It may not matter but I forgot to mention that I intentionally left those legs long so you could trim them to what you want, but it looks like long is working.

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Isn't that the same fly as a Girdle Bug, except with a different leg material? :confused:
Pretty much.

cptxkirk

Reaction score
Kept the legs as is! More movement adds to the appeal of the fly. This was just day 1. 7 more days of fishing left. I will have more pics!

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
I mostly nymph where I live and this is the anchor fly to all of my nymphing situations. I tie this fly weighted in sizes 4 and 6 and unweighted in 6 and 8. I fish the weighted version as the first fly in a three-fly rig, which usually includes a bead-head type pattern as the next fly and something very small in midge territory as the bottom (third) fly. Killer rig.

I also tie them in a variety of colors - here are some examples:

This is my favorite version - The "Big Ugly" Rubberlegs:

Even Whitefish love them...:

Several years ago a few friends and I fished the Big Horn in Montana. One friend fishes only with the rubberlegs and another fly as a dropper - only problem, no stoneflies in the Big Horn and he did not catch a fish in three days because he refused to switch rigs, even though the guide instructed him otherwise.

Also, I no longer add any weight to my line when nymphing as the weighted rubberlegs is adequate to get the rig down.

Kelly

wjl

Reaction score
Great go to fly, worked well on the Gallatin River a few weeks ago.
Learned to tie them last week, not to difficult.

two_nymph_rig

Reaction score
Not very difficult to tie, and what I love about this fly is that I am pretty sure it does not matter if the legs are the same lengths, or coming out at the same angle. Pretty sure this is just a big ugly fly with a lot of movement and a lot of fish catching characteristics. I might never stop fishing them. Going to experiment tying them in some smaller sizes and different colors today.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Yep, killer fly and so easy to tie. It is my go-to point fly for double nymph rigs. Wrap a lot of lead on that shank and don't be afraid to vary the chenille color ... but also don't get caught up in it. If it ain't broke...

Anyone fish these small, like #14 or smaller? Just curious because I never have, I stick to tying them large.

long bow

Reaction score
Yep, killer fly and so easy to tie. It is my go-to point fly for double nymph rigs. Wrap a lot of lead on that shank and don't be afraid to vary the chenille color ... but also don't get caught up in it. If it ain't broke...

Anyone fish these small, like #14 or smaller? Just curious because I never have, I stick to tying them large.
I'll tie mine in various sizes, and I've actually had some pretty good luck on 14s on a SUPER SECRET creek outside of Missoula ;) Might be the fish though (Oh well). One great thing about tying your own flies is varying it up a bit from a shop bin. My bigger ones I'll throw on some legs reserved for streamers, leave 'em long, and let them undulate in the riffles. My thought being, most bugs aren't too keen floating mid-height, and are scuttling trying to get to safety. I've picked a few up with that pattern in the dead of winter, and it might not be the reason for the strike, but it makes me feel better if I think I had something to do with it.