Smallmouth gear?

j lee

Reaction score
I primarily trout fish western NC but plan on exploring more into eastern Tn and maybe up in to the Va's. I've never fished for smallies but plan to soon. Is there a perfect weight / length rod that I should use. Right now I have only 4, 5, and 8wt rods. From what I have read, 6 to 8 is the most used for smallies. For some reason, I have wanted a 7 wt for a while and think this might be a great all around choice realizing I really have nothing to base this on. Any help or thoughts that might steer me in the right direction? A 6 wt seems logical since I don't currently have one and I can use it for streamer trout fishing. Just want to make sure I get something with enough backbone for smallmouth. I will probably spend most of my time on the French Broad and smaller streams.

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
I personally like a fast 6wt or a mod/fast 7wt that is 9' long. Some of my favorite flies for (river) smallies are clousers and deer hair poppers. Each have either some weight to them or some wind resistant bulk that can make casting a challenge on something too slow for me.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I've used from 3 wt's up to 8 wt's for Smallies, based simply on the waters size & the size flies I want to use. Generally these 2 considerations limit the size of the fish, and even the occasional bruiser is not a problem, no matter what rod wt I might be using. That's fishing!

There's really no right or wrong to it & often it's just a matter of personal preference. For the majority of the places I've fished for them, I go with a 8'6" 6 wt that I've had for many years. (Cabela's Gary Borger Signature model, no longer made.)

No matter what you decide to try, there's always going to be conditions, situations & fish size that won't fit the rod. It's always a compromise no matter how much thought we put into it.

Frankly, you would probably be fine with what you have. Of course, sometimes we all need an excuse to buy another rod! :thumbsup:

j lee

Reaction score
I've used from 3 wt's up to 8 wt's for Smallies, based simply on the waters size & the size flies I want to use. Generally these 2 considerations limit the size of the fish, and even the occasional bruiser is not a problem, no matter what rod wt I might be using. That's fishing!

There's really no right or wrong to it & often it's just a matter of personal preference. For the majority of the places I've fished for them, I go with a 8'6" 6 wt that I've had for many years. (Cabela's Gary Borger Signature model, no longer made.)

No matter what you decide to try, there's always going to be conditions, situations & fish size that won't fit the rod. It's always a compromise no matter how much thought we put into it.

Frankly, you would probably be fine with what you have. Of course, sometimes we all need an excuse to buy another rod! :thumbsup:
All I need is an excuse. A 6 is all I probably need for my area. Now the shopping fun begins.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

I personally like a fast 6wt or a mod/fast 7wt that is 9' long. Some of my favorite flies for (river) smallies are clousers and deer hair poppers. Each have either some weight to them or some wind resistant bulk that can make casting a challenge on something too slow for me.
Gonna start the search for probably a good 6 wt.

SkipS

Reaction score
I have used a 6wt more than any other weight but if you already have a 5wt,thats a good rod to use.A lot of people prefer that weight and you can always upline it with a 6 wt line if neeed.Your 8wt would take care of the bigger flies.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Bigjim is spot on.

To answer your question from my perspective, what size flies and what type of fly will you be using?

I fish a 590 when targeting smallies and throw #6 streamers to #14 dries. It works well enough on medium size streams. I just need to change my stroke as the fly's weight dictates and the distance I need to cast.

Full disclosure: I did add a 6 wt for streamer fishing to handle weighted or larger flies, admittedly I am more of a trout guy. Add to that, I have a weakness when it comes to tackle.

swhite1989

Reaction score
I use a Redington 5/6 (Full outfit for like $150) for small mouth, and I have never had any issue landing them. The other good thing, is if the smalllies arent hitting, I can still throw a fairly small fly that will catch the panfish.

If you are going to start exploring Va, let me know, maybe we can meet up and I can show you some good water. There are two very good ones to choose from, The New River and The James.

j lee

Reaction score
I use a Redington 5/6 (Full outfit for like $150) for small mouth, and I have never had any issue landing them. The other good thing, is if the smalllies arent hitting, I can still throw a fairly small fly that will catch the panfish.

If you are going to start exploring Va, let me know, maybe we can meet up and I can show you some good water. There are two very good ones to choose from, The New River and The James.
Sounds good. Will let you know if I make it up that way. Grew up in WVa, White Sulphur Springs, and want to get back up that direction.

yonder

Reaction score
I also agree with BigJim.........I typically go with a 3 or 4 weight, because I know the average size fish in the New River in Ashe County, North Carolina........plus there are lots of sunfish that love to hit top water poppers as well.......you can land a good sized smallmouth on a 4 weight....and have alot of fun in the process.......:)

greg_h

Reaction score
For rivers I would be fine with the 5wt as the distance to cast is not usually that far - I have landed a 2.5 smallie on the 5wt - as well as a 5# carp.
But for ponds or lakes I would go with a 6 or 7wt. The casting distance is usually farther, and much of the time you will be using a sink tip line or Clouser - plus bigger flies than typical in a river. So if you want to also fish streamers for trout in the early season or in ponds, I think it would be worth getting a 6wt with a bit of stifflness.

pa dave

Reaction score
Probably 80-90% of my fishing is for smallies, and really the best rod is determined primarily by the waters you plan to fish. I have a small local river where I prefer either my 5wt or 6wt rods, but I cast mostly streamers tied sparse. When I fish the Susquehanna, I nearly always use an 8wt. The fish are bigger, the flies are bigger, but most of all, the wind is bigger.

So clearly, you need to add a 7wt too. :) You can never have too many rods.

captainjack

Reaction score
8 Weight all day long...I run into too many pike when I fish smallies to go any smaller. Plus I like knowing that I can get the fish in as quick as possible for a healthy release.

zum

Reaction score
7 weight here,smallie/chain pickerel fishing,open water normally windy and bigger flies.
Looking for a smaller,maybe 4 weight,for some of the smaller creeks though.
Went the other day and could catch 12" an under almost every cast.

j lee

Reaction score
8 Weight all day long...I run into too many pike when I fish smallies to go any smaller. Plus I like knowing that I can get the fish in as quick as possible for a healthy release.
Good reasoning. Watched a good you tube video making a similar point. Thanks.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k-jrXLCASM]Fly Fishing Smallmouth Bass-Prespawn Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

7 weight here,smallie/chain pickerel fishing,open water normally windy and bigger flies.
Looking for a smaller,maybe 4 weight,for some of the smaller creeks though.
Went the other day and could catch 12" an under almost every cast.
After just getting the 4 wt Winston, might save a few bucks and get my first Scott rod. Thinking maybe the A4 907-4 as I have heard it's a great rod for the money. Might go cast the 6 and 7 since I have neither but do have an older 8 wt Sage.