Hello I have some questions?

crestedgeckoguy

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to fly fishing and I just got a vest and I want to know what are some things I need to get to put in my vest for trout fishing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Keep it basic.

Box of flies
Spare Leaders
Two or three tippet spools
Nippers
Hemostats
Dry fly floatant
Split shot or tungsten putty
Indicators

Dennis

mirabelasunshine

Reaction score
That's pretty much it.

Mine has all that, plus a net, a raincoat, my license, and my camera.

gregnash

Reaction score
That is pretty much everything I have in my vest. Don't get "weighed down" with feeling like you have to fill the pockets. My cheap Redington vest has a ton of pockets but I have the items mentioned above and that is really everything I have needed.

Really to fly fish you don't need a whole lot of things, as long as you have spare tippet or leaders you can pretty easily change things out. Then from there the nippers just help get closer than your teeth and the hemostats allow you to get those hooks that are buried (make sure to get the kind that have flat tips for mashing down barbs). I have my iphone on me with a lifeproof case so I dont carry a separate camera.

Again, use the KISS method!

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Chuck the vest, you don't need one save for a multi-day trip some place.

Everything you really need can be stuck in a few shirt pockets. One box of flies and two leader spools (appropriate x-factor). People, People, People .. I see folks loaded up with 'gear' that will never see the light of day.

Why even have it on you? I see folks with stuff 'vests' full of what ever; 20 of the same pattern, same size and I have to do a 'Say what?' Even my old Yellow Lab rolls his eyes and just walks away.

Not working, fine go to a different fly or change size on the same.

There are a few 'tools' you'll need but just string them off of a cord clipped to your shirt. (Number? Four and you're good to go.)

Edit: One is a 'Police Whistle.' Just trust me on that, if you get into deep do-do you'll need it.

Last edited:

pszy22

Reaction score
Chuck the vest, you don't need one save for a multi-day trip some place.

Everything you really need can be stuck in a few shirt pockets. One box of flies and two leader spools (appropriate x-factor). People, People, People .. I see folks loaded up with 'gear' that will never see the light of day.

Why even have it on you? I see folks with stuff 'vests' full of what ever; 20 of the same pattern, same size and I have to do a 'Say what?' Even my old Yellow Lab rolls his eyes and just walks away.

Not working, fine go to a different fly or change size on the same.

There are a few 'tools' you'll need but just string them off of a cord clipped to your shirt. (Number? Four and you're good to go.)

Edit: One is a 'Police Whistle.' Just trust me on that, if you get into deep do-do you'll need it.
Listen to Fred. That's the problem with vests, one feels duty bound to fill up all the pockets. It's easy to end up with so much stuff, you spend your time fussing with things, rather than fishing.

That's not to say that I, and probably Fred, didn't use to carry a vest full of stuff. I think we all have at some point in time. So if you want to wear it for a while, it probably won't cause any permanent harm. You can always load up most of the pockets with streamside rocks and get some cardio workout benefit.

random user

Reaction score
I spent years fishing streams and small rivers for trout with all of my gear in the two breast pockets of a BDU blouse, and I had a little room left over. These days I use a 'shorty' vest that has way too many pockets, and almost all of them are empty. Funny thing is every once in a while I find (or re-find) a pocket I didn't know was there. The list of what is in my empty-pocketed vest was already been covered.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I spent years fishing streams and small rivers for trout with all of my gear in the two breast pockets of a BDU blouse, and I had a little room left over. These days I use a 'shorty' vest that has way too many pockets, and almost all of them are empty. Funny thing is every once in a while I find (or re-find) a pocket I didn't know was there. The list of what is in my empty-pocketed vest was already been covered.
I agree. If I really need 5 pockets, then 8 pockets is OK. 18 pockets will leave me constantly searching the unused pockets looking for stuff I didn't put in them. :)

I just ordered a vest, but the military clothing option works well for a lot of outdoor activities. Now if only my Supply SGT would issue me some waders :)

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Listen to Fred. That's the problem with vests, one feels duty bound to fill up all the pockets. It's easy to end up with so much stuff, you spend your time fussing with things, rather than fishing.

That's not to say that I, and probably Fred, didn't use to carry a vest full of stuff. I think we all have at some point in time. So if you want to wear it for a while, it probably won't cause any permanent harm. You can always load up most of the pockets with streamside rocks and get some cardio workout benefit.
Great Call P22! Before I became a full time 'fluff chucker' I was a gear guy fishing for Steelhead up in Washington/BC. Came home exhausted (and probably without hooking a fish). One day, then wife-type, said STOP! and went and got the bathroom weigh scale and had me pull off all the **** I had on down to my 'skivvies.'

If memory serves, I 'lost' 32 pounds.

How much do you really need?

Remember having a public argument with a Marine Corp Sargent-Major-Advisor as to required field gear: My answer .... "All I need is extra water and more ammo clips." (1962-1963)

There was a Viet N long before the war became popular with our Government.