Elk, bbq, beer and brookies....

mrl0004

Reaction score
A buddy and I have been talking about doing a camping/fishing trip to the park for some time now. Given that it is now shut down, I'm glad we went when we did. We headed out last Friday after work and after stopping for provisions, made it to the campsite and set up in the dark.

The next morning, we tried to fish down low to see if we could score some browns, but the water was a little high and fast for my liking. I did catch a few cockroaches, I mean rainbows.

After a slow morning of fishing we headed back to camp to decide where to fish the afternoon over a nice cup of camp coffee and an omelet burrito.

We decided it would be best to hike way up the trail (at least 2 miles) and start fishing from there. Fishing was extremely slow, but the scenery was nice.

I had a few strikes that I missed and a decent brown that I lost at the net. Losing that fish hurt. We hiked out to walk up further and noticed another visitor had come and gone since we entered the stream.

It wasn't long that we figured out why fishing was so slow. There were several fisherman ahead of us. A couple were fly fishing and a couple of spin fishers. So we decided to call it quits and head back to camp for a hearty meal.

The next morning we decided to hit a very small brook trout stream that is one of my favorites in the park. It's very tight fishing, but the brookies are usually willing to hit a dry fly, getting your fly to them is the hard part. You have to bow and arrow cast almost exclusively, and if you do that correctly, then you have the challenge of setting the hook with lots of thick rhododendron overhead.

It wasn't long before I had one of the smokies finest specimens to hand...

We both caught fish out of this hole.

mrl0004

Reaction score
Some more pics from the stream...

I caught one more before time to go...

After we got a much needed ego boost from hungry natives, we made our way to Cataloochee, enjoying the scenery along the way.

I wish I would have known how crowded Cataloochee is on a Sunday afternoon. It felt like Spring break at Panama City on the strip. Not to mention a horse trailer that had slid off the road coming in that held us up for a while. We finally arrived and set up camp before we headed out to fish.

We headed up the trail to fish a stream I had a lot of success on the last time I was here, only to find we were fishing behind someone again. At least the scenery was nice...

Since the fishing was over for the day, might as well go check out the elk. The elk were on fire this trip. You could hear them bugling while fishing, it was an awesome experience. On the way out, a cow crossed the trail right in front of me. I figure she was heading to the bugling bull.

mrl0004

Reaction score
They were definitely out in the fields...

After another long day it was time to head back to the campfire for food and relaxation.

The camp lantern attracted quite the collection of trout food as well...

Dessert was also a welcome treat after a long day...

mrl0004

Reaction score
Early the next morning, we went to check out the elk again, sans all the annoying crowds.

I then tried a creek that I've never fished before, and was hoping for better fishing. Right off the bat, I caught a nice brookie.

For some reason, after that fish, it was all cockroaches again.

On the way out, I noticed a ruckus in the woods. After hearing a bugle, I was shocked to see another whole group of elk.

I was a little close to that bull and he came trotting my way briefly before stopping to chase another cow. Those things are massive. I thought I would have to do some jousting with my fly rod, and luckily I didn't have to change my waders.

After a long 3 days, we called it quits and decided to go ahead and head back. Although the fishing was slower than I was accustomed to, it was still a heck of a long weekend. I can see lots more camping up there in my future, assuming it opens back up.

Reactions: Ard
M

mridenour

Superb photos and report on an excellent trip! How much weight did you put on eating all that good food???

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what to say!

The picture of fishing on your knees for those little jewels brought back memories for me, many thanks for taking the time to post all of your photos.

OUTSTANDING - BEAUTIFUL and very personal,

Great Post

mrl0004

Reaction score
Superb photos and report on an excellent trip! How much weight did you put on eating all that good food???
Exactly none. All of the walking and climbing got rid of it I think! :D

I don't know what to say!

The picture of fishing on your knees for those little jewels brought back memories for me, many thanks for taking the time to post all of your photos.

OUTSTANDING - BEAUTIFUL and very personal,

Great Post
Thanks Ard.

meadballs

Reaction score
Cool post, although I don't think you should have to worry about jousting any elk with a fly rod because 1) they are scared of you and 2) you would get your butt kicked ;)

yonder

Reaction score
That is one beautiful place to be.........if you get the chance.....head up the Bradley's Fork outside of Cherokee........that neversink caddis should work very well.......:)

L

Liphookedau

Some really Beaut Pics brings back memories as I can remember years ago cutting my way into Rivers,Creeks as I carried a Machete & a pair of Secateurs to Fish however we mainly caught Small "Cockroach" Browns with a few Rainbows mixed in which were all fun to catch.
Like many of us Oldies if I were to get on my Knees to Fish I would either have to be helped up grab a Branch or use a Staff.
Brian

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Awesome pics, I love that park. the second stream you have pictures of, I kinda feel like I know what one, that I may have been in it a few years ago.

At any rate, awesome trip report, with it starting to cool off now Im in full on trout mode. This post wasn't helping my lust for them.

ghocevar

Reaction score
That's awesome! next time I head down that way I'm having you cook for me! Looks like y'all stayed dry too. Nice report.

mrl0004

Reaction score
.......if you get the chance.....head up the Bradley's Fork outside of Cherokee........that neversink caddis should work very well.......:)
The first several pics were from Bradley Fork. The fishing was very slow there, but I think it was because I was fishing behind two different groups of people.

yonder

Reaction score
The first several pics were from Bradley Fork. The fishing was very slow there, but I think it was because I was fishing behind two different groups of people.
Sorry to hear that.......it gets slammed on occasion, but for good reason. I usually hike in about three or so miles, as it's an easy trail, and then I hit the water. Getting above campsite 49 puts you in brookie heaven. :)

gzarboni

Reaction score
WOW! Thank you for taking the time to post those pictures. I think you just made my next vacation destination choice for me. I can't imagine life getting any better than what I just saw. That is something everybody should experience at least once. The scenery is spectacular combined with good fishing and great food all at camp. WOW!