Alaska, August 2013

mrfzx

Reaction score
Once again I made the trek to the "Last Frontier" state, and it never fails to satisfy me. This trip I made with My brother Parke, dad Homer, and two other buddies, Jeff and Bob. We were targeting Sockeye, Trout, and Halibut.
We always take a trip in the salt for Halibut. No its not fly fishing, although catching a 'but on a fly is on my bucket list, we do it simply for the meat. Its not really fun, its more like work, but Halibut is that good. A few years ago we lost our guide. It was like losing a family member. He didn't die or anything so moribund, they sold the business and moved to Wisconsin. We had been fishing with him since he was just a mate with another captain, and then as the captain on his own boat for a total of 12 years. So sad, I get choked up thinking about it. That was in 2008, and the trips since have been ......less than expected. This past August we decided to try a "double limit" over night trip out of Homer. Never again. That's another story.
Our timing was a bit late. The Sockeye were starting to get "tomato-ish": red bodies with green heads. Finding the fresh chromers was definitely difficult. We were primarily fishing the Kenai, Kasilof, and Russian Rivers, with side jaunts to Quartz Creek. We did a day float trip on the Kenai for trout, but the water was very high, and keeping the flies down where the trout were was hard. We did catch a few Rainbows and Dolly's.

This 'bow is about 5 pounds.

Here are two examples of the Sockeyes: a "tomato"

and my brother with a chromer:

Here is my dad, Homer, with a nice Dolly. Notice how far the tail is extending past his hand:

gr8outdoorz

Reaction score
Nice fish! Sounds like you guys had a great trip!! Alaska is such a wonderful place to go fishing. I did that exact trip last week of July/first week of August. We were on the Kenai & Russian rivers the fist week of Aug chasing Sockeye and Dollies. Here are a couple pics of our trip. I wish our pics came out as good as yours did. My camera focus got jacked up while we were climbing in Denali Nat Park so they came out blurry.

My fiancee with her first Sockeye

A nice Dolly

Can't wait to go back!!

gr8outdoorz

Reaction score
Thanks! She was a fighter! We very well might have seen each other. A couple of your pics look very similar to some of the spots we fished. Did you guys fish the Upper Kenai? We dropped in under the bridge in Cooper Landing and pulled out just past the convergence of the Russian River. Man Alaska is such a beautiful state!! I can't wait to go back!!