First Weekend in April Steelhead-Where will the ice be out?

M

mridenour

Me and troutn are going to go fishing the first weekend in April. We would prefer to hit Steelhead water but is the ice going to cooperate in any Great Lakes region water? It is a short trip and we are driving so there is a limiting factor as far as distance is concerned...can't make it all the way to Idaho and be back at home the same evening we fish the morning.

Looking at Michigan, Wisconsin, Steelhead Alley???? Just trying to get an idea what water might be open and productive at that time.

M

mridenour

All I hear is crickets chirping. Is everyone gone fishing?

mdogs444

Reaction score
i can only offer advice for Steelhead Alley since that is where reside. I live on the Chagrin River, and about 10 minutes from the Grand River - both east of Cleveland. There is no fishing right now - the ice jams are massive. In all honesty, I dont see any significant fishing to be done until at least the end of the 3rd week of March. If I'm right, then first weekend of April should be pretty productive - but its hard to account for blowouts with all the ice melt.

M

mridenour

i can only offer advice for Steelhead Alley since that is where reside. I live on the Chagrin River, and about 10 minutes from the Grand River - both east of Cleveland. There is no fishing right now - the ice jams are massive. In all honesty, I dont see any significant fishing to be done until at least the end of the 3rd week of March. If I'm right, then first weekend of April should be pretty productive - but its hard to account for blowouts with all the ice melt.
Can you keep me posted on the conditions there? We are going to play it by ear and will be VERY flexible on where we end up. It looks like the alley is where we will be headed but that covers quite a bit of area so we are going to wait as long as possible to make final plans.

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
agreed, you might be better off with a wait and see mentality

id love to think the fishing will be hot before april but at this point its just speculation

maybe bump this thread up in a few weeks

M

mridenour

agreed, you might be better off with a wait and see mentality

id love to think the fishing will be hot before april but at this point its just speculation

maybe bump this thread up in a few weeks
Yeah, I really want to get into some good fishing that weekend. It is my buddy's (troutn) 50th birthday and I want the kid to have a happy birthday!:D

jaybird267

Reaction score
My brother an I are planning a steelhead trip for around the same time. Hoping the weather gets warmer to break up the ice though. We were in chagrin falls over the weekend and the ice pack is incredible!!!! Talked to the guys at Chagrin River Outfitters and they were skeptical about the month of March being fished at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

mridenour

If nothing breaks loose we will probably fish here in Missouri but that would mean no chrome to chase.

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
If nothing breaks loose we will probably fish here in Missouri but that would mean no chrome to chase.
ill keep you up to date with Wi waters

i sure as sh!t plan to be fishing before then

we are getting above freezing here this week!

though we just got 4" of snow this morning

pm287

Reaction score
Planning a trip to Northern Indiana in the tributaries next week. If we go, I will let you know the conditions. It is time to throw a line and get it wet!!!!!

M

mridenour

That would be great. I'm doing a little trout fishing this weekend. Winter has got me going crazy.

pjcalla

Reaction score
Planning a trip to Northern Indiana in the tributaries next week. If we go, I will let you know the conditions. It is time to throw a line and get it wet!!!!!
It's definitely time! I would love to hear what you find out. I'm just east of you in Westfield, and have been to the White River a handful of times this year with nothing to show for it. I have a new setup coming, and would love to bend it before we go south in a month or so.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I saw recently on the news that the Great Lakes have about 90% ice coverage, which may be more or less as of the time of this post. That was from a couple of days ago. This is the 3rd time since 1963 when they started tracking this that they reached 90% coverage. Fishing in April may be tough but I'm sure somewhere, there will be open water.

You might want to check in with the fly shop pages/guide reports in the areas you're considering as well Mike. Good luck, I'm hopeful of a thaw sooner rather than later.

M

mridenour

Yeah I've been hitting the fly shop fishing reports and all is pretty much dead as of right now. Hoping for a big change in the next few weeks.