Rituals....

Bigfly

Reaction score
I thought the only commonality we all have is fishing.......
Different water, fish, gear, for forum folks....
But, are some rituals the same?
I realized the other day that I put my waders on the same way every time.
Completely dressing one leg, then the other, sitting down.....
No idea when I started this.
Just kind of woke up to find myself doing it....
Now I'm on the look-out for other unmindful behaviors.....
Not to change them, just to be aware of them........

Am I the only one with rituals?
What's yours?

Jim

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know if it is a ritual or not but I am always the first one to the water. I don't know what the other guys do at the truck that takes them so long to get in the river because I never stick around to find out...lol.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I don't know if it is a ritual or not but I am always the first one to the water. I don't know what the other guys do at the truck that takes them so long to get in the river because I never stick around to find out...lol.
That reminds me of my father when I was a boy. He and my uncle were passionate fishermen, and very competitive in a friendly way. It was like the start of a Bassmasters Event. Whomever was not driving usually made it to the hole first. 20ft before car stops, passenger door is opening. 5ft prior to arrival, right foot dragging on ground preparing for dismount. How nobody ever broke an ankle I do not know. :)

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
My old dogs, both now gone. We'd sit on the open end of the Jeep Liberty and look at the water: 'What do you guys think?'

If they looked at the open end (save for it was really freezing!) I'd toss them both back in and we'd go somewhere else. Both are now long gone but their sleeping mat/ blankets are still in the back of the Jeep. Worked for us for 11 years, why change?

Small, but good, Subway sandwich place here in White City ... Three/four mornings a week same drill. Didn't need to order, young lady knew what I was going to have, made mine, the other 'foot long-extra meat' for the doggies.

New dog now, "Turkey," how 'adopt a dog' will react will have to be seen.
fae

fly_rover

Reaction score
Some of my buddies pour a shot of beer into the River and thank Poseidon for use of his waters.

Yep. :cool:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jim,

Sometime around 1981 or there about my fishing buddy and I were suiting up after night shift. We were on an overlook at a big long flat for some dry fly fishing. With no one else around no hurry as we got ready. We had the wader thing done and yes I think I still do it the same way....... And were stringing up rods, yep I do that exactly the same way. At that time one of us said, and I really don't know which, "You know Doc, this is as big a part of this as actually fishing. The ritual, all the BS, waders rods fly etc. It ain't the fish, it's being here doing it". Since we each called the other Doc (long story) I don't know how said it.

The only thing I do different is Doc & I don't suit up together any more. 5000 miles put a stop to that. Otherwise I think most of what I do could be predicted with great accuracy :)

Bigfly

Reaction score
Fred, I forgot about the ritual breakfast at jack's waffle shop in Bishop....
State records stuffed on the walls......
Always gets me going.......right.
Don't get down enough for them to Remember my order though.
40 years of doing the same thing IS the ritual.......amen.
Now the game is, how long can we keep doing it.....

Jim

Rip Tide

Reaction score
One of my old fishing partners drown while duck hunting 13-14 years ago
I try to keep his memory alive by poring a Rolling Rock beer into the stream on opening day

Other that that, I spit on my fly.. every time.
Something that my grandfather instilled in me over 50 years ago

Oh, and no nets.... bad juju

stenacron

Reaction score
After I release a fish, I dip the net into the river three (3) times and then fling it out towards the river in sweeping fan motion before hanging up on the clip again. Ya know... for good luck. Kind of like a holy water blessing for the future fish that I plan on catching.

Also, I never, never, NEVER want to hook a fish on the very first cast. Biggest jinx in fishing (fly-fishing or other).

darkshadow

Reaction score
I always take a deep breath and remove all non-fishing thoughts from my mind before making the first cast. There's no need of dragging your personal and work life on the water.

I also never rig up until I reach my first spot. I learned this from my days as a bass fisherman, my buddies and I would play practical jokes on each other by nicking eachother's already strung up line inside the truck while launching, and then watch what would happen on the first hook set.

(Yeah, we're bad.)

Now, I've realized that instead of practical joking buddies, I have trees, limbs, rocks, etc. to deal with that will nick my line on the bushwhack in. So, I never rig up until I reach my first spot. (That also forces me to analyze the water a bit more, and not rush into tying something the fish don't want.)

It reminds me of this famous line in Colors. Why run to the stream to catch one fish, when you can walk there and catch them all?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigfly

Reaction score
That last one is the old bull/young bull joke.....
Which I'm to much a gentle man to tell. (Unless you come fish of course....)
Yes, there is the pee thing, but I won't go there either....
But this is where we as members have to agree to disagree.
I am a confirmed one drift kinda guy, and a net is mandatory...
And now I have a bad visual of Fred as a quick draw artist....
Suggest you rig at the car but not to fish that fly, just not to lose a rod section on the walk.
Yes, the life lessons just keep coming......we sent 20 minutes looking after a 5 minute hike.....
Was in the top of a bush.

Jim

Last edited:

cab

Reaction score
It's become a tradition: throw a buncha cr@p in the truck, drive somewheres, fish.

Always seem to forget something.

Never forget "lil dawg.

CAB

the_pyromaniac

Reaction score
Let's see... Pre-fishing rituals... Here we go...

Diet Coke, and breakfast (Hardee's or a couple of protein bars, depending on time & money)
screamo/punk/skacore/deathmetal or something similar on the radio to psych up for the battle to come (I told y'all before, I'm a different kinda angler!)
another Diet Coke
look at the water & clouds, study the wind for 5-10 minutes and make a game plan