trout question

Greenwood

Reaction score
If you check out the thread "Which fly would you choose", you'll find the answer isn't very conclusive! Although it does seem that the region you fish in, the type of water you're fishing and the size of the trout that live there have a pretty strong bearing on the choices! You could start by reading some of the answers in that section.

What area are you from and what waters would you be fishing?

Joni

Reaction score
I am going to say, it depends on Stillwater or River, but I will use nymphs on both, I rarely us streamers on rivers (I know I should, but I usually use bamboo, so I don't)
Lakes however, streamers are a must!

Davo

Reaction score
When guiding clients here on the Snake I use dries about 85%- 90% of the time. When fishing myself I use streamers unless there is a good hatch going on, then I'll switch rods and tactics. When float fishing I always have my 5wt ready to go with dries. I use my 6wt for streamers.

When I lived on the Main Line outside Philly I fished mainly dries and nymphs. Size of the water and the fish are factors to consider. As well as insect activity.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
On rivers and streams I like to fish dries. site fishing with nymphs being a close second choice option.
For lakes it would be streamers.

Davo

Reaction score
Strykr;

Haven't you ever spent a day on the South Fork chuckin Streamers? It's my favorite!! Got box full of big juicy ones. Call it my Trout Candy Box. LOL. Thats the way I got that browny in profile pic. Caught him just above Bighington.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I need to more often, but I'm the one doin the rowing all day.
I have a place in mind that I think is holding some big fish, need a big Brown for a tattoo idea.

ezamora

Reaction score
my FAVORITE technique is using dry flies on small to medium sized sierra streams, and sight fishing to the trout. not always the most productive, but as you asked, certainly my favorite.

eric
fresno, ca.

panfisher1125

Reaction score
ill be fishing the pere marquette, and the au sable rivers in michigan, au sable in the spring, and pere marquette late september and early october i dont know if this matters at all but we fish for salmon usually on the PM with spinning tackle, but im planning on taking the fly rod up there this year, will the salmon scare away the trout?

FISHN50

Reaction score
Since 90% of the trouts diet is taken underwater. I'll tie on a streamer at the car & fish that for a while & then I'll usually goto a nymph. I usually don't search with drys.

FlyGal

Reaction score
Streamers, streamers, streamers.....Unless a hatch is on.

Joni, a Gray Ghost was made for a boo rods.....Carrie Stevens was a boo rod gal as well.

Joni

Reaction score
Streamers, streamers, streamers.....Unless a hatch is on.

Joni, a Gray Ghost was made for a boo rods.....Carrie Stevens was a boo rod gal as well.

The Gray Ghost is an awesome flie!~ How about you? You tried Boo yet?

FlyGal

Reaction score
I have a good neighbor who let me use his 6' Orvis Battenkill and 7'6" Thomas & Thomas bamboo rods to chase wild brookies with. I love the slow bamboo rods! Most of my graphite are slow as well.

I just finished epoxying the reel seat to my first bamboo blank finishing job....Can't wait to fish it. I have to wait a month until the varnish fully cures....

I plan to used boo in the salt for sea bass....I tied up a few patterns in Carries style to match the local bait fish to toss in the salt with a boo rod. Should be fun to experiment with.

I just love Carries patterns.....

adrian

Reaction score
fishing or catching??

there is nothing as beautiful as a fish rising to a dry fly. however, there are times when you can present every fly in every size known to man and you'll see no action. streamers, nymphs always create strikes when there is little or no action on the surface. there is no substitute for a beadhead with a dropper.

Joni

Reaction score
I have a good neighbor who let me use his 6' Orvis Battenkill and 7'6" Thomas & Thomas bamboo rods to chase wild brookies with. I love the slow bamboo rods! Most of my graphite are slow as well.

I just finished epoxying the reel seat to my first bamboo blank finishing job....Can't wait to fish it. I have to wait a month until the varnish fully cures....

I plan to used boo in the salt for sea bass....I tied up a few patterns in Carries style to match the local bait fish to toss in the salt with a boo rod. Should be fun to experiment with.

I just love Carries patterns.....

Would love to see your wood (Bamboo, guys) I prefer slow action also.