Before the 4th

plecain

Reaction score
The lowland streams remain too warm to fish for trout. So, back to the mountains in the hope that they stay fishable for a while.

Started here.

The last time I was here, last Fall, I had a long rod with me. This time I brought a 6' 1 wt. to help negotiate the trees and bushes.

The water temperature was still good. The levels are a little low, but that's just going to have to wait for some rain.

I like this coloring on brook trout. There were a few like this here.

Fished the first spot for a while, then moved on to a slightly larger and slightly warmer spot.

With a different mixture of fish.

Altogether for the day caught wild and stocked brook trout, wild and stocked rainbows, and stocked browns. No salmon, though I've caught them here before.
Next weekend is the long 4th of July weekend. Might be a good weekend to stay out of the traffic.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Paul

That looks like an excellent small stream to spend the day fly fishing. Just wondering, how did you like the new fly rod?

plecain

Reaction score
Just wondering, how did you like the new fly rod?
The 6' 1 wt. isn't new. However, when I changed spots I also changed rods - to a 6'10" 4 wt TXL-F. That rod is new. I built it over the Winter.

I like it quite a lot. I really didn't think of 4 wt. rods when I thought of the TXL, but I like it a lot more than I thought I might.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
What a great looking place! I do miss those little mountain rivulets where many folks would doubt you can fly fish. Strong thunder storms last evening here I'm sure the river is blown out so we're heading for big water for some sockeye dip netting.

Enjoy the weekend buddy

spm

Reaction score
Great pics. I'm sure many people would pass those smaller holes. Good learning experience for me.

Thanks,
steve

mirabelasunshine

Reaction score
Great looking White Mountain streams! Some nice fish relative to the scale of the water, too! Over here in VT I've been having about a 95% warm water season, but this makes me think I ought to take a brook trout day sometime soon.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Since I already mentioned it, we did go after the sockeye and are back already. We had perfect weather Friday afternoon but less than stellar results. Time has been the teacher as it is in so many things so I did a little river reading and on Saturday morning we caught many sockeye and 2 Kings. The kings were released immediately unharmed and sockeye hens and small fish were freed unharmed. Still we left by 6:00 PM Saturday with 30 nice salmon and I'm about to begin filleting right now :)

Again, beautiful stream Paul.