Golden trout

wes k

Reaction score
Probably bout 500' IL is pretty flat. Lol. State stocks rainbows twice a year and let's fly fishers have a week of c&r season before they unleash the bucket brigade to clean them out.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Well Wes, I think what you have there is even rarer than a "Golden Trout", being a "Golden Rainbow Trout" also known as a "Palomino Trout." I'll let you do a google search as to them, in that it's quite interesting in that they originate I believe from a single Trout in West Virginia round about 1954 which they can all be traced back to.

A "Golden Trout" will only be found at very high elevations, and has significantly different markings then what you have there. They are very different fish. However, yours I believe would be much rarer.

B.E.F.

weiliwen

Reaction score
Wait, what? You caught a golden trout in Illinois? And to think I went up to the Driftless Area in Wisconsin for browns and brookies, and I could have stayed here to catch a fish I've never caught.

wes k

Reaction score
Driftless is way better. Been there a couple times.

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Gotcha, I called it a golden trout because it was a gold colored trout. I'll check em out.

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Looks like there are the golden trout you mentioned, golden rainbow trout and palamino ranbow trout. Good to know!

yikes

Reaction score
Great catch, and may I add, what a beautiful bamboo rod! Made me search for your earlier photos. Nice build!

For comparison purposes, here is our California Golden Trout:

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score

So it seems that Golden Rainbow Trout are even slightly different (though make up the basis of) Palomino Trout. So I'm going to guess (check with your regional fish hatcheries and/or DNR) that it is actually a Palomino Trout.

Congratulations! What a great find :thumbsup:

B.E.F.

wes k

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments on the rod, lots of hand planing! I'd plane till my hand would go numb and I couldn't hold onto the plane anymore, take a couple days off and start again.
I did check the dnr website and they called em golden trout and a genetic anomaly in the rainbow trout causes the gold color.

mtaag3

Reaction score
So there are specific stocks of Palomino and Golden Rainbows in Pennsylvania and West Virginia? Seems like it would be a nice bucket list fish.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
I believe that's a gila trout.
Although, he did catch this in Illinois. Gila Trout are found in very specific river systems only in Arizona and New Mexico. Below is a "historic distribution." The locations they can be found today are much more limited.

B.E.F.