Small Creek Techniques

dennyk

Reaction score
My dad and I fished this small steam years ago. Mainly fished with crawlers & cut bait. After he passed away I don't think I've been back. I've got a week off coming up soon and I have to satisfy my curiosity.

It's one of those creeks you can just about jump across. No room for any type of cast which leads me to my question. How is a creek like this fly fished? What my thoughts are is attach a 4' piece of 4# floro to the fly line and let the current take the fly under the log jams, pockets and cut banks.

Anyone have a different way of fishing water like this?

Thanks!

Denny

teledan

Reaction score
Yes and don't forget the bow and arrow cast, it can come in handy in tight situations. I have a Cabelas CGR 3wt that is 5'9" and it is a blast on small creeks.

cab

Reaction score
This is where, IMO, furled leaders really shine. They act like an extension of your flyline. I often cast with just the leader and 2-3 ft. of tippet off the end of the rod.

HTH,
CAB

mtboiler

Reaction score
Dabbing! I have stood 7 or 8 ft away from the fish and just stretched the rod out to catch the fish. Great technique on small streams with lots of drop pools. fish the first pool, step up into that pool, reach out and fish the next pool. Have to walk gingerly, or on rocks, but it works really well. Typically I don't even have fly lin out, just the leader.

huronfly

Reaction score
Bow and arrow casts are key, I also find it easier to fish downstream (eg. wet fly swing) using roll casts than presenting upstream.

markfrid

Reaction score
I agree with all of the above, especially the fact that you usually are casting not much more than the leader. One more thing... you usually only get one cast in any given pocket. Maybe 2. Not usually. After the first cast they pretty much figure something's up and go hide or sulk. Make every cast count. If you don't get a hit, move on.

Mark

slowdown

Reaction score
Most was mentioned, so won't repeat. But I think the biggest key, is STEALTH.

Creeks like this are notoriously spooky. Get low, and stalk the fish

patrick62

Reaction score
Bushy dry flies with a big profile -- Wulffs, Stimulators, Humpys

Or...

Soft-hackle wet flies, two at a time on a short dropper.

Or...

Creep up and drop a depth charge on them -- black beadhead Wooly Bugger, size 12. Big enough to get their attention, not so big it spooks them.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
No no no no.

Stomp around as hard as you can. Throw rocks, slap that fly down hard on the water. Shout at them, get in that water and get their attention. Let'em know your there dang it!

And if that doesn't work, try what everyone else has suggested. :D

dennyk

Reaction score
LOL Scotty, I know that does not work. My dad would let me fish the water first when I was in my single digits, couldn't figure out why he always out fished me 5 to MAYBE 1. :confused:

Denny

scotty macfly

Reaction score
LOL Scotty, I know that does not work. My dad would let me fish the water first when I was in my single digits, couldn't figure out why he always out fished me 5 to MAYBE 1. :confused:

Denny

No matter what you do on that little piece of water, and how you decide to fish it. Take time to think of your dad. I bet if you pay real close attention, you'll know he's close by.

airborne 82nd

Reaction score
Love small stream pocket fishing , through trial and errors I've learned , I have spooked some Beautiful trout , but learned from it ....stealth , and take you're time , don't underestimate small pockets and ledges ,
I have had luck/ w # 20,s BWO, and my Favorite Klinkhammers , but yes watch those rocks as you're getting stealth , I've busted my ass a few times to .lol
Good luck
Airborne (David)

seattlesetters

Reaction score
Stealth is key. Longer rods 8 - 8 1/2' help immensely with this while still being accurate enough when you have a chance to reach out a bit. They also let you hold more line off the water than short rods, something that will greatly increase your success when fishing pockets. They're also better for dapping, b&a casts and swinging soft hackles than short rods are.

Fishing upstream helps with stealth but you can use the terrain to help you if you're fishing down stream.

Dry/dropper rigs work great. Keep hooks fairly small to avoid injury to smaller fish. A #12 is max for me and I prefer #14 and #16 and even #18 hooks.

Let the fly hang at the bottom of the drift.

JW51

Reaction score
If you haven't read it yet, the classic "Curtis Creek Manifesto"
by Sheridan Anderson pretty much covers dapping, bow-and-arrow, as well as the infamous "Curtis Creek Sneak" and other aspects of small stream techniques. Heck, the Fenwick fiberglass backpacking rod he endorses is still in my quiver for sentimental reasons, although certainly doesn't compare with graphite. The illustrations alone are worth it. Maybe don't use your top line rods though unless you are more nimble climbing boulders than I am, although at my advanced age I suppose almost everyone is :icon_roll.