Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Euro-nymph/tight-line set up question

1. Default Re: Euro-nymph/tight-line set up question

Quote Originally Posted by bassguitarplayer View Post
    I have the Corland Euro rod and I fish everything on it without switching lines. Even heavy streamers. That rod will handle it all so long as you don't smack the streamer and break the tip.
    Any idea what the physical weight of the cortland rod is?

Default Re: Euro-nymph/tight-line set up question

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    Any idea what the physical weight of the cortland rod is?
    No idea. It's really light though. Great rod for the money.

^ I agree on the Cortland rod.

It's a great dry fly rod too, once you get used to it.

Blog Entries

I see some fishermen using two rods,one to nymph (no dt or wf line on the reel only nylon)one to fish on dry.
    If you have a close look at the pic below....you'll see that the lady is nymphing but she has another rod hung on her vest

re: the lady carrying 2 rods:
    That seems like it would have to be quite awkward. I can barely manage to have my wading staff floating next to me without my line getting tangled in it at some point.

6. Likes jpbfly liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonbo View Post
    re: the lady carrying 2 rods:
    That seems like it would have to be quite awkward. I can barely manage to have my wading staff floating next to me without my line getting tangled in it at some point.
    yep....she also has a wading staff....not easy....I've seen her fishing for an hour and she manages well....I have to say that she's not a client of mine, she was training for a competition

The DVD referenced above was made a few years shy of a decade ago when the best rod choice in the USA was a 10/4 Z Axis, so the "you can only lob" idea wasn't far off. If your rod will not load 30' out, you are using the wrong tool for the job. The casting mechanics do not change.

Don't know if this helps or not. I've been watching some euro-nymphing videos recently and find them interesting because that's exactly the same way I fish, only totally different.

I've never fished a euro-nymph set up, but it seems like basically you are fishing just a long leader, just like I do when fishing a fixed length line set up (i.e. tenkara). Tenkara folks use alot of different lines, but maybe the most common is nothing but a 12' chunk of 12-16# flourocarbon as their main line. It's important to use flourocarbon, rather than mono. Flouro tends to be slightly stiffer and heavier for a given diameter, which greatly adds to it's castability when compared to mono.

The flouro mainline does a great job of casting and fishing dries/soft hackles/nymphs. There is no problem with line droop in the line guides, because there are no line guide. So I'm not sure how fishing straight flouro might behave in a reeled rod, but I do know it's not a problem to easily cast a 12 - 15' length of it, especially when using a longer rod.

I guess minimally if you did decide to go with a two rod set up, a tenkara rod might be a great alternative as a second rod. It folds up nice and compact.
    It's a great tool for fishijng dries and soft hackles. Of course, you'd still have to figure out what to do with your main rod when fishing with the tenkara rod.

Just a thought.

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

I fish a 16' leader, and commonly have 6' of tippet tied to the end of that. I usually cast with another 15' of line out on the average, sometimes a little less, more times with a bit more out. I am a bit stumped when folks say that you can only fish at your feet, or "I watched a video once...." and then think they are fit to give advice.

Well, I didn't mean to say you can only fish at your feet. I meant to say that I can only fish at my feet and was asking for others' experiences and/or recommendations. Reading all the comments I now think that I just haven't figured out how to cast the super-long leader. That gives me some confidence that it's possible. The only thing I don't know is how much of my casting ineptness with the "euro-leader" is due to my poor technique or if some of it is caused by my 10' 4wt BVK being a little fast. I'm going to have another go at it in about a week, Lord willing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast