Fishing after a water release???

ts47

Reaction score
I'm fishing Western MD for four days beginning Thursday. They are doing fairly high level water releases on two rivers I plan to fish today, tomorrow and Wednesday (North Branch and Savage).

How long will it take for the trout, rainbows and browns, to come back/settle down/etc? And, are there any special tips or tricks for fishing tail water immediately following the end of a dam release?

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

darkshadow

Reaction score
Todd,

From a novice's perspective, look for slower water that gets created from eddies, or large impediments like boulders. Find the slack, and you'll find the fish.

Also, from minor experience, the fish will tend to gravitate to the bottom of the streambed, so split shot may be necessary to get your offerings down to the fish.

Again, from a novice perspective...I'm sure there are countless of other tactical approaches that you can have and I'd love to hear about them too.

only adipose

Reaction score
Those fish have not gone anywhere, they are right there and they are feeding. The problem is getting to them. Don't be afraid to fish a very heavy nymph rig. PM

ts47

Reaction score
I will start fishing the day after a three-day dam release ends. The water should be back to safe and wade-able conditions. Some of this may be newb questions. So, I apologize in advance.

How is this likely to affect my fishing?

Do high water flows, 3-6 times the average, actually wash fish down the river? If so, how long does it take them to come back up stream?

Is there anything else I should be thinking about - trying to find someplace else to fish for the first day of two of the trip?

I've been out of touch and am just trying to make the most of my first real trip in quite a while.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

Those fish have not gone anywhere, they are right there and they are feeding. The problem is getting to them. Don't be afraid to fish a very heavy nymph rig. PM
Thanks for sharing this! You posted as I was typing my last post. I have plenty of split shot and some tungsten weighted nymphs that should help get down deep.

mtboiler

Reaction score
First, my experience has taught me that the fish will be in different water than they would normally be when the water level is normal. common misconceptions is that fish either leave, go downstream or get washed away. Actually, they find calmer, shallower water. the bottom of the river is faster, with things going by at a high rate of speed. The sides of the streams, especially when the water is off color, will hold the majority of the fish. Any back eddy, small current seam or inside of a bend will have fish. I have found fish in 6 to 8 inches of off color water, just hanging out. Drops, where the water is pooled into a back eddy with a big drop off are also very good. The best way to fish those big drops is either drop shot nymphing or heavily weighted nymphs or a lot of split shop. you essentially drop the fly right off the edge of the hole. Some of those deep holes will have fish within 1 to 2 feet of the surface just waiting for food to be swept down stream, some are deep and you have to go down to get them. Dropping a streamer, dead drifted, off the shelf works too. Don't give up on dries either. I fished the middle fork last week at 4 times it's normal flow and found fish hitting dries in 12 inches of off color water.
as far as wading goes, at 50, my rule of thumb is if I cannot see my feet, I am too deep. It is very easy to loss your footing and end up in a very bad situation really quickly. So, mid calf is the deepest I go. If I cannot make the cast, no fish is worth dying for!!
My opinion is that one of the best times to fish is high water. The fish have limited places to go, and are still eating. Which means the job of finding them is far easier...plus, with so much food floating by, they are not picky.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
High water forces fish to migrate toward the banks. From 800 cfs to 10,000 in a month here, I just hammer the bank. Also knowing the structure from when the river is low helps. The cushions in front of rocks get bigger and are prime holding locations for larger fish. (Also debris :frown:) As stated eddies can be productive but for me seem to hold smaller fish. Pocket water on the bank no matter how small of a pocket. I love this time of year. It's a challenge that only happens once a year!

JoJer

Reaction score
As above and... scum, foam and detritus lines in or around those eddies. There's bound to be some bugs in those.

Last edited:

ts47

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! This is helpful. :thumbsup: I'm starting to pack gear now and hope to have a fun four days on the water. :cool:

ts47

Reaction score
How did you make out?
Fishing overall was a little slow. Caught a couple on the N Branch, none on the lower savage, but had fun chasing those brookies up above the dam! Got to try out my new Cabelas CGR too. It was my first real experience with the CGR series. It was a lot of fun!