Fall Steelhead

ant

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was contemplating a trip this fall to Lake Erie for some steelies. I've never fished for steelhead and was wondering if anyone could recommend any good flies to take. I'll be in PA, if that makes a difference.

-Anthony

O

okuma

early season-streamers
as it cools and darkens earlier-wolly buggers
in mid sept. start using nymphs size 12 or 10
october to ice out egg patterns. estaz, crystal meth, sucker spawn, glo bugs. siz 12 or so.
don't go to early. wait for a rain to come so the water wil cool and rise & the fish will run. if you do go early, fish the mouths of the rivers. elk is my favorite stream there ant

ant

Reaction score
Thanks okuma. I was thinking Oct. or early Nov. That won't be too early, would it?

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Ant, the time frame you mentioned will be a very good time...Small nymphs and egg patterns in various colors will be the flies of choice. Elk is a great stream; if possible for you, go during the week.

Dan

ant

Reaction score
Thanks Dan. I think it might end up being a weekend trip, but I'll be sure to hit up the Elk.

patyer

Reaction score
Oh how I miss steelhead fishing. I use to go up to the Salmon river in Pulaski New York for them when I was much younger. We use to use bright colored flies along with various egg patterns, pretty much what okuma mentioned for the ice out.

FlyBum

Reaction score
october to ice out egg patterns. estaz, "crystal meth," sucker spawn, glo bugs. siz 12 or so. don't go to early. wait for a rain to come so the water wil cool and rise & the fish will run. if you do go early, fish the mouths of the rivers. elk is my favorite stream there ant
"Cystal Meth.":eek: Whats that for, so he can fish all day and all night without sleep for days and not have to stop to eat or are the steelhead in your area meth also methheads or is it a fly made by tying a little baggy to a hook with white powder in side?:tongue:

ant

Reaction score
"Cystal Meth.":eek: Whats that for, so he can fish all day and all night without sleep for days and not have to stop to eat or are the steelhead in your area meth also methheads or is it a fly made by tying a little baggy to a hook with white powder in side?:tongue:
LOL!

I'll stay away form that, pattern or otherwise. I can already see getting pulled over by the State Police.

"What's in those boxes, son?"

"Crystal Meth."

"What?!"

"Yeah, all different sizes and colors. I'm going to go throw it at some fish."
;)

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
LOL!

I'll stay away form that, pattern or otherwise. I can already see getting pulled over by the State Police.

"What's in those boxes, son?"

"Crystal Meth."

"What?!"

"Yeah, all different sizes and colors. I'm going to go throw it at some fish."
;)
LOL...Sparkle Spawn sounds much better in the above mentioned conversation...LOL

Dan

Jackster

Reaction score
wait for a rain to come so the water wil cool and rise & the fish will run.
Okuma speaks the truth! Watch the weather and don't chicken-out if rain is on the forecast. In '07 the water was so low the fish couldn't get in the rivers out of Lake Erie. As we got drenched in the rain fishing the Cat in NY we all grinned knowing the PA rivers would be on fire the next day. That evening, this is what the mouth of the PA streams looks like... you could walk across the steelheads backs without getting your toes wet!

The fishing was EPIC! We barely had to move at all when in a run... the fish came to us!

ant

Reaction score
Okuma speaks the truth! Watch the weather and don't chicken-out if rain is on the forecast. In '07 the water was so low the fish couldn't get in the rivers out of Lake Erie. As we got drenched in the rain fishing the Cat in NY we all grinned knowing the PA rivers would be on fire the next day. That evening, this is what the mouth of the PA streams looks like... you could walk across the steelheads backs without getting your toes wet!

The fishing was EPIC! We barely had to move at all when in a run... the fish came to us!
Then I'm hoping for a couple of bucket sessions between now and then. I don't know about up there but here the waters are still real low. You can see the bottoms of the Schuylkill from the bridges and that is not normal.

morphius

Reaction score
There's actually a great book that I picked up and it is wonderful. It's written by Karl Weixxleman. its called Great Lakes STEELHEAD Salmon and Trout. He reccomends: egg patterns, mainly sucker spawns (get stuck in the fish's teeth and easier to set the hook) in light to dark colors for a variety of water conditions. In the early fall, large bright streamers will work such as emulators and the sort. Also, can't count out nymphs. I'll send you a pm regarding this. I live about 20 minutes from the catt. creek.

ant

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, morphius! I'll see if I can grab that book this week.

ant

Reaction score
Thanks Dan. I'm going to try and see if I can order these through my library. Hopefully they'll have something.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I'll second the Nagy book, there is a 4th edition which was updated within the past couple of years. Great book to have on hand if fishing Lake Erie Tribs.

The other book mentioned is somewhat of a sore spot amongst PA anglers as the author has been reputed to be a guide for what is known by many names locally, the most kind of which may be the "Evil Empire". They have been written about in several of the major fly fishing magazines and are not local to PA. Prime fishing locations are being lost by groups such as this. Beware.

Here's a link to their home page.

Preserving Fly Fishing Sanctuaries: HomeWaters Club creating preserving fly fishing sanctuaries avid anglers secluded private waters trout streams catch and release memberships

ant

Reaction score
$1000 to fish for a day, sign me up!:surprise:

I had never heard about these guys, thanks for the info.

O

okuma

It's coming soon Ant. Salmon and browns are running in the east. We had 2 hard rains here in northern WV. Temp's dropped into the 60's and high 40's for tonight :yikes:. My guess, about 10 days or so, it will be on. :thmbup: Oh, and btw, the pics of those steelies look like Trout Run to me.