The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  88
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 09-25-2017, 11:37 AM

zjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Big Thompson

Spent yesterday on the upper stretches. Cold, wet day. My favorite weather as the fishing is good and nobody is on the river. Got into a ton of little brookies and a couple nice browns. Nymphed for first hour with zero luck, which I was very surprised by. Caught almost everything on a black elk hair caddis. Stealth was the name of the game as flows are low and water is gin clear.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 9 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks hatidua thanked for this post
Old 09-25-2017, 07:29 PM

hatidua is on a distinguished road

Why fly to catch that Punch? I've never managed to catch any of those on the Big T
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes zjory liked this post
Old 09-26-2017, 06:05 PM

zjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to behold

Fished low down on the T this afternoon. The flow below the damn has dropped nearly 100 cfs since the weekend, so has opened up some new spots. Fished streamers today and did well on the swing and with a double retrieve. Olive and natural.
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 09-26-2017, 07:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice trout, congrats! The spots on that brown are gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks zjory thanked for this post
Old 09-27-2017, 04:57 PM

fishhunter is on a distinguished road

Hi zjory, nice pics and report. I was on the Big Thompson on Saturday. I fished the beat below lake Estes. Lots of off color water. Q was 339 cfs. Fished for 3 hours from 10-1. Hooked 12 and landed 7. All on nymphs. Mostly browns with a couple of rainbows. None as pretty as yours. Big weather came ~ 1 and drove me off. I get up there a couple of times a year. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Bob
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, zjory liked this post
Old 09-27-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhunter View Post
Hi zjory, nice pics and report. I was on the Big Thompson on Saturday. I fished the beat below lake Estes. Lots of off color water. Q was 339 cfs. Fished for 3 hours from 10-1. Hooked 12 and landed 7. All on nymphs. Mostly browns with a couple of rainbows. None as pretty as yours. Big weather came ~ 1 and drove me off. I get up there a couple of times a year. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Bob

Hey Bob,

Sounds right. I fish that beat in the winter when everything else is locked up and only fish I’ve ever caught have been on size 18 and under nymphs. Those fish are definitely educated. I spend a lot of time on the T and would be happy to show you some good stretches of water next time you’re up there.

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

They’re taking anything meaty right now. Drift, swing or retrieve-it doesn’t matter. If you’re near Northern Colorado, you should be throwing streamers on the Big Thompson.
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 09-28-2017, 10:27 AM

brownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to beholdbrownbass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjory View Post
Fished low down on the T this afternoon. The flow below the damn has dropped nearly 100 cfs since the weekend, so has opened up some new spots. Fished streamers today and did well on the swing and with a double retrieve. Olive and natural.
Is that a Tiger trout? I catch mostly Rainbows here in Missouri and catching a Brown is a treat. That one has spots on its tail and they look different than the ones we catch.

Bill
Old 09-28-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbass View Post
Is that a Tiger trout? I catch mostly Rainbows here in Missouri and catching a Brown is a treat. That one has spots on its tail and they look different than the ones we catch.

Bill
No, just a brown. It does have a very unique pattern, different than what I typically see on this water.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes smcnearn, brownbass liked this post