Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  90
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Big Thompson

Default Re: Big Thompson

Spent yesterday on the upper stretches. Cold, wet day. My favorite weather as the fishing is good and nobody is on the river. Got into a ton of little brookies and a couple nice browns. Nymphed for first hour with zero luck, which I was very surprised by. Caught almost everything on a black elk hair caddis. Stealth was the name of the game as flows are low and water is gin clear.

2. Thanks hatidua thanked for this post

Why fly to catch that Punch? I've never managed to catch any of those on the Big T

4. Likes zjory liked this post

Fished low down on the T this afternoon. The flow below the damn has dropped nearly 100 cfs since the weekend, so has opened up some new spots. Fished streamers today and did well on the swing and with a double retrieve. Olive and natural.

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Very nice trout, congrats! The spots on that brown are gorgeous.
    Larry

8. Thanks zjory thanked for this post

Hi zjory, nice pics and report. I was on the Big Thompson on Saturday. I fished the beat below lake Estes. Lots of off color water. Q was 339 cfs. Fished for 3 hours from 10-1. Hooked 12 and landed 7. All on nymphs. Mostly browns with a couple of rainbows. None as pretty as yours. Big weather came ~ 1 and drove me off. I get up there a couple of times a year. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Bob

10. Likes mcnerney, zjory liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by fishhunter View Post
    Hi zjory, nice pics and report. I was on the Big Thompson on Saturday. I fished the beat below lake Estes. Lots of off color water. Q was 339 cfs. Fished for 3 hours from 10-1. Hooked 12 and landed 7. All on nymphs. Mostly browns with a couple of rainbows. None as pretty as yours. Big weather came ~ 1 and drove me off. I get up there a couple of times a year. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Bob

Hey Bob,

Sounds right. I fish that beat in the winter when everything else is locked up and only fish I’ve ever caught have been on size 18 and under nymphs. Those fish are definitely educated. I spend a lot of time on the T and would be happy to show you some good stretches of water next time you’re up there.

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

They’re taking anything meaty right now. Drift, swing or retrieve-it doesn’t matter. If you’re near Northern Colorado, you should be throwing streamers on the Big Thompson.

12. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zjory View Post
    Fished low down on the T this afternoon. The flow below the damn has dropped nearly 100 cfs since the weekend, so has opened up some new spots. Fished streamers today and did well on the swing and with a double retrieve. Olive and natural.

Is that a Tiger trout? I catch mostly Rainbows here in Missouri and catching a Brown is a treat. That one has spots on its tail and they look different than the ones we catch.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by brownbass View Post
    Is that a Tiger trout? I catch mostly Rainbows here in Missouri and catching a Brown is a treat. That one has spots on its tail and they look different than the ones we catch.

Bill
    No, just a brown. It does have a very unique pattern, different than what I typically see on this water.

15. Likes smcnearn, brownbass liked this post

A couple nice fish on the T this afternoon. Both on a grizzly hackle olive bugger.

17. Likes spm liked this post
    Blog Entries

Nice! Looks like the Tommy is producing. Can be an interesting time of the year. Browns stacked up spawning? Not quite sure where some of the guys I've talked to are getting their info but you've proved them wrong. Headed out tomorrow on the Gunny. Hope to catch a couple of beauties like yours. Again, couple of nice fish!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

19. Thanks zjory thanked for this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234