Steelhead on a 5wt?

Schlick

Reaction score
Hi Guys - picked up a new 5wt setup for fishing brown trout and rainbows this summer... a buddy of mine invited me Steelhead fishing this weekend, and I'm wondering if my 5wt would be adequate to bring along.

Let me know.

Jon.

Jackster

Reaction score
If you have plenty of time and lots of clean room to let them run and you have the smoothest of smooth drags and know how to use it and you plan on eating the fish go ahead.
A 5 weight is really too light for steelhead.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Jon,

Yes, you can land a Steelhead with a 5wt rod. That doesn't mean it is the right tool for the job. Steelhead fishing requires big weighted flies or split shot or sinking lines and strong leaders. Your 5wt would not be my choice. I would be using a 7wt or 8wt rod with a good reel. What reel do you have on your 5wt? It would surprise me if it is built to accommodate Steelhead.

Jon, if you can't go unless you use the 5wt then I might go for it. Otherwise I would beg, borrow or steal a Steelhead outfit. Well, maybe not steal.:icon_lol: If you try to cast a big, heavy fly with your 5wt you might damage the rod (hit the rod with weighted fly) or snag your self.

Frank

Jackster

Reaction score
Yeah, check your rod warranty too! :wink:

As Frank alluded to too, if given the chance to go with no other gear options, I would do it in a heartbeat!

tie one on

Reaction score
Jon,

Like the rest of the responses a 5wt rod would most definitely
not be first choice for fighting steelhead.

If you are lucky & let them run until they are wore-out you may
land them, but you may also go home with a broken rod. ( If you
do land them you better take them home because they would most
likely die if released after that long of a fight. )

The steelhead that I fight in Michigan are extremely strong &
are awesome fighters my recommendation would be a 7wt or
better.

It's not a standard, but I'd use a stronger rod.

Tie One On

Schlick

Reaction score
I have a Pfleuger Summit as my reel rated for 5/6 line, and I'm using Rio Selective Trout WF 5W on a St. Croix Avid. The rod comes with a lifetime warranty, but I'd rather not bust it if I can avoid it :)

Schlick

wtex50

Reaction score
That is not a good outfit for steelhead. I would rate the Avid as more a finesse rod as opposed to a strong fighting rod....Try to borrow an outfit. If your buddy has been steelhead fishing for any length of time - he probably has a couple of outfits..Of course - this presents the perfect opportunity to go buy another outfit - LOL

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
ya I agree I just caught my 1st few and a 8wt is wahat I use and thats still hard to pull um in with.

BigCliff

Reaction score
You've heard the phrase "taking a knife to a gun-fight"?

A 5wt for steelhead is like taking a toothpick.

ezamora

Reaction score
this may be a moot point. i know experienced guys who go out and don't catch a steelie for days. LOL.

plus, there's summer run and winter run steelhead, no? some are smaller.

eric
fresno, ca.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
idk but ohios are big! just caught one the other day that was 27 inches or so and today one thats was 24 or so and they put up a fight!! plus when you go to reel um in when they aren't shooting around like a rocket its like pulling in a sunken cinder block! pure muscle!!!! sore arms the next day for sure!

MrEsox

Reaction score
As often suggested for larger fish or fishing a very fast river, a 5wt is just a bit low on power. If you can find a fast or extra fast rod (most of the bend of the rod is at the tip) and it has next to no bend in the back end of the rod you may find it likeable. I took my 5wt after pike and a small fish took a lot of time to get in. I'm glad a big pike didnt grab the fly or I'd still be there chasing him and that was in a boat. However, like with all rods, the rod is only as good as the reel is. One point that hasnt been stressed enough is how well the reel works. Most smaller reels tend to burn out easily since they are just a spring and some sort of non metal washer. With more leverage and a reel that can handle it, it can be done. But most of it is anglers experiance/abilities, how well the equipment holds up, size of the fish, and just how well it all blends together. If you do take it, make sure you are ready to run and able to out smart the fish.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
ya on my 8wt when I caught the 27 inch buck steelie i had to put up with a few runs then he went downstream!!! i had to cross the river and follow him as he went under a tree that was like 2 inches from the surface of the water and I just laid my line flat on the water. he went back and back again all times me laying my line on the surface and praying. I'd try to bank him and he'd swim away and we struggled back and forth like 6 times!!. 5 minutes or so later I pull in the steroid freak!!! wow what a rush! I was just as spent as he was! we both got a workout on that one!! a 5wt would of broke or either just killed him.

tlcrep

Reaction score
If you have plenty of time and lots of clean room to let them run and you have the smoothest of smooth drags and know how to use it and you plan on eating the fish go ahead.
A 5 weight is really too light for steelhead.
Ok, so tell me, what would you use: Feather river california, late june early july, spring run steelhead 18 -24 inches in the really slow water taking size 20-22 trico hatch at night?

Me, I used a 4 weight with 7 x tippet. On the other hand, a couple hundred yard away, wintertime, 7-8 weight spey rod, steelhead slammed my nymph so hard right when it hit the water it broke my rod. Are you going to say never again?

Gotta tell you, for the 4-8 pound central valley winter run fish caught on nymphs, does not compare to 2-4 pound spring/summer run fish (plus half pounders in 14 -18 inch range) that arent nearly as hot but can are caught on top!!