Setting the hook during a drift

atxflyfish

Reaction score
Up to now I've only fished still water, but I'm about to hit some rivers and had a question. I've read about properly mending line to create a realistic drift, and it seems to me that this usually involves a good amount of slack in the line. Doesn't this slack prevent a solid hookset when the fish hits? I'm sure I'm missing something here, I just don't know what it is. Thanks!

cattech89

Reaction score
Hey there atxflyfish. I can see your concern. Im sure that there are others that can offer further advice than I can. That being said Ill give my two cents.:D
Often times when you get into a situation where mending is involved is when you have a cast upstream and across a quick section of water to a slower section. Youll have to strip your line to keep the slack out of it, but youll have to mend your line to keep the fast water from pulling your fly through the slow water, which will look a little odd to your prey.
Mending your line, when done properly, will actually help you in setting the hook because you will be keeping your line straighter and in more control.
I hope this helps and I hope I explained everything clearly enough and didn't confuse you.:D
Have fun......

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Along with proper mending, try doing a downstream hookset rather than an upstream one. Just try it, and figure out the mechanics of it at another time.

MP

randyflycaster

Reaction score
I also find it helpful to pull in line with my line hand. Also, if the fish is downstream of me I set the hook by sweeping my fly rod back and parallel to the water.

Randy