Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New friends

Default New friends

The alarm went off and I got out of bed and began to get ready. After a long hard week at work I was ready for a little refresher on the water. Once I was ready I got in my car and headed to Mikes house.

You see today I had the chance to meet and fish with somebody that I only knew from a couple of fly fishing forums. Mike had his vehicle packed and ready to go by the time I got there. Once there, I put my things in his vehicle it was off to the gas station.

After refueling we were off to our destination. Today’s fishing destination sounded like exactly what I needed. Which is throwing big dry flies to stupi…. Errrr willing trout. In addition to that I was excited to see how my “new” reel fished. I actually purchased the reel a little while ago; however there was an issue with it so I had to get it repaired.

Once we arrived we got geared up. I decided to set up the SPL with a nice large #8 stimmie and I rigged up the ZG for nymphs. Mike set up a dry and a nymph rod as well. We made our way down to the water and began to fish.

It was still a bit early and I wasn’t getting much on dries (a LDR and two miss strikes). After trying quite a few different patterns I decided to chuck some lead. Meanwhile Mike had caught a nice little bow upriver from me; he promptly let it go and went back to fishing.

Shortly thereafter on a drift I got my first real strike and set the hook. After a short fight I sent the little bow on his way. We fished this area for a while; Mike was doing good and quite a few to hand. I on the other hand could not seem to get much else going. We then decided to head up river to check out some other areas.

The next spot we stopped at was pretty interesting. On the mountain on the opposite bank had some little waterfalls created from a hot spring.

We separated and went to different spots to fish. Just like the first run I was not having much in the way of luck. It didn’t seem to matter what I threw they didn’t want it. A little while later Mike came to the spot I was fishing. I told him that I was having the same luck as before. He said that he caught some where he was fishing. I said that I guess today just wasn’t my day. He headed back to the vehicle while I decided to throw a little black just for the hell of it. I made a few casts and saw a little splash; yes I bow that was all of 5” decided to take the fly. I quickly landed him, set him free and went back to the vehicle.

The next run we stopped at seemed like it would be a productive run. I decided to go back to throwing a #8 stimmie just for the heck of it. I waded out in the middle to fish a particular area on the other bank. This turned out to be a good call.

As my sailboat sized fly floated down past a rock I saw a subtle rise. When I saw the fish I knew it was larger than the dinks I caught earlier. I set the hook and my SPL came to life as the fish began to run. This fish felt a lot more powerful than the previous two. This was confirmed when he decided to put on an aerial show for me. I quickly landed the fish snapped a couple of quick pics and sent him on his way.

I fished up the run catching quite a few fish all on the stimmie. Most of the fish caught were a bit smaller then the first one from the run. But hey they were sure fun.

After catching a lot of fish from the run, I decided to sit back and watch Mike fish for a bit.

It was pretty funny; fishing had been slow all day then it was like a light switch had been flipped. After a little while Mike decided to call it quits as well. We talked about how the fishing suddenly turned on. It was so good at the end that I had completely forgotten about the slow start to my day. We made our way back to the vehicle, got geared down and headed back towards home.

It was good to meet Mike in person and fish with him. The good fishing, cool and cloudy day were just a bonus.

I hope you enjoyed the report.

Default Re: New friends

Nice post, thanks. Great pics, beautiful scenery. We who live in the NW are pretty lucky, imo.

Blog Entries

Always enjoy your reports Sasha,it's great to fish with a new friend...the color of the water is so beautiful ...I would feel like drinking it

Beautiful trip Sasha. Im loving the looks of that stream.
    Seth

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
    ----------------------------------------
    Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...

Nice trip report, looks like a beautiful piece of water... some nice fish too, I particularly like the colours on the big guy you got...

Thanks for another neat report Sasha. The coloring on those Bows was beautiful.

Thanks guys, glad you like the report and pics.

It was a fun day for sure; especially when I actually started to catch fish in numbers

It was also good meeting someone that I only had interaction with online.

Hi Sasha,

Is that water really that green or is it the camera? Or, is there moss on the bottom? Seems really green to me on my computer.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    Hi Sasha,

Is that water really that green or is it the camera? Or, is there moss on the bottom? Seems really green to me on my computer.

Frank
    Not really sure why. I don't own any photo editing software so the pics are not shopped. I use the standard Nikon software to convert the RAW files to Jpeg. Funny they don’t look that green on mine (I use a 22" Sony LCD). I did not have any type of filters on my lens either.

I am betting it is a few factors. One it was mostly cloudy yesterday. Two there was a fire in the area so there was also some smoke mixed in. Three the deeper parts of the river did look green in real life. Four mineral content of the water due to hot spring activity.

Blog Entries

Sasha: Very nice trip report and the photos were fantastic as always, congrats!

Larry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast