Pinedale, Wyoming

dooolan

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if any of you guys know anything about fishing the Pinedale area. I will be there for a week around early August. I like to fish streams mostly but I have heard about excellent lake fishing opportunities in the area. I will not have a boat and therefore will be fishing from shore. Last of all, I prefer to not see many other folks fishing, and I prefer to not be runoff by platoons of drift boats screaming down the river. I have heard that BLM access sites on the Green near Warren Bridge can be busy? Is this true? How are the beer prices? In advance, thank you for divulging any information that you can muster up!!!

Doolan-----

Davo

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if any of you guys know anything about fishing the Pinedale area. I will be there for a week around early August. I like to fish streams mostly but I have heard about excellent lake fishing opportunities in the area. I will not have a boat and therefore will be fishing from shore. Last of all, I prefer to not see many other folks fishing, and I prefer to not be runoff by platoons of drift boats screaming down the river. I have heard that BLM access sites on the Green near Warren Bridge can be busy? Is this true? How are the beer prices? In advance, thank you for divulging any information that you can muster up!!!

Doolan-----
The only public access on the Green is up river from the Warren bridge on the North side. Usually not that busy. Public access goes up a few miles I believe, also camping sites up that dirt road. Best guess is where that road ends so does the public access. Everyone floats the private property below that. Few people float the water above. It is good fishing in that area. Have not done any fishing up by Green River Lakes but know there is public access up there too.
Don't know much about the lakes, sorry.

kais 4795

Account on hold
Reaction score
I am now livingin Colorado, but I grew up in southwest Wyoming and still get up there every summer for a week or two. Alot of my family still lives up there. Pinedale is an awesome place. Some good fishing holes are Soda Lake (monster brown trout) and Dollar Lake. Soda has alot of pressure at first, but it tapers off after the first week of opening. Dollar is a hit and miss lake, but it it didn't winter kill, it can have some nice rainbows in it. Another cool lake is Meadow Lake. It is full of grayling, one of the only lakes I know of where you can catch a bunch of them. As far as creeks go, the Green is awesome. There is more public fishing down towards Fontenelle Dam which is only an hour away.

If you want to get away from the crowds and catch some nice Brook trout, walk to the upper end of Newfork lake. It has been several years, but I had some awesome evenings fishing the sand flats there with size 14 brown wooly buggers. It was not uncommon to catch 50 or 60 in a few hours and some of the fish were in the 16-18 inch range, very nice brookies.

Honestyly, there is so much to fish up there, it's hard to tell a person where the best time could be spent. Have fun!

Kais
Onetoomanyhobbies.com

dooolan

Reaction score
Thanks fellows!!!! I always like to do a little research before I go somewhere new and these forums can be very helpful at times. My in laws live up near Daniel and will have some information too in regards to where they like to go. From what I gather, I will have to try hard to not catch fish.

Thanks again!

Nooksack Mac

Reaction score
The July issue of "Fly Fisherman" has an article, "Wyoming Range at Risk" by Ret Talbot (p. 16-21) that, between the dire warnings, makes the Pinedale area sound like the latest Last Great Place.

kais 4795

Account on hold
Reaction score
I would agree that is one of the Last Great Places. It is an awesome place to go if you want to get out and see some beautiful country without the crowds. Having grown up there, I would have to say that things are changing. Everytime I get back up in that country, I notice it. There are more and more people and more and more oil rigs. The cool thing about the area is the amount of public land. You can still get out and do some good exploring without tromping across any fences. Sadly, this is also starting to change, and in a few years, might not be the case. Get up there and see it while the seeing is good.
Kais
Onetoomanyhobbies.com

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dooolan

Davo, Fysh and myself just got back from the Pinedale, WY area. We fished the Green River from just above the Warren Bridge down to the fish hatchery just north of Daniel Junction. We put in on the BLM land that has a an access road off hwy 191 just past the Warren Bridge. There are approximately 12 river access points along that river, we put in on #2. We fished on a Friday and saw maybe 12 people coming and going. When we put in at #2 we were the only ones there and when we came back to pick up the rigs there was two other groups camping there, but the river is so big that you can easily find areas to fish where you will see no other anglers and the further up the river you go the less likely you will see any floaters.
Beer prices.......can't help you there, I didn't buy any, but Daniel Junction is only approx. 7 miles south with a convenience store and gas station.

Good fishing with lots of great pocket water on the Green! I had a blast fishing with Fysh and Davo.

Larry

2PawsRiver

Reaction score
It's good to hear good things about Pinedale. We will be fishing that area Aug 17th, through the 25th.

Hiking the Highland Trail from the Green River Lake to the Roaring Fork trail, past Native Lake, Crescent Lake and Faler Lake. Then over the hill to Clear lake then working our way down Clear Creek towards the Green River Lake. Right about 20 miles over 7 days.

Just curious if anybody has fished the Roaring Fork or Mill Creek in that area and of course input on flies is always appreciated.:)

aylen

Reaction score
I don't know fishing.But i feel happy to watch fishing.They will feel great if any fish is caught.Fishing is not that much easy.Fishing gives enjoyment.

========================
aylen
Wyoming Drug Addiction

Crispin Chandler

Reaction score
Hi,
This is your friend Anderson.My main hobby is fishing.That to I like Cold water fishes.I just travel long distances for snow areas and I catches fishes out there.As these fishes are so tasty.Every weekend I use to go for fishing.So friends you also try this.you will definetly going to like it.I am shoor in that aspect

================================

Andreson2304

for more information...

Wyoming Drug Addiction

dooolan

Reaction score
I caught some great fish on the Green a few weeks ago. I camped at Whiskey Grove on Green River Lakes Road and fished up and downstream from camp with tons 12' rainbows and whitefish. The mosquitoes were like I have never seen. One hundred circling your face at a time. I fished from shore at the Green River Lakes and caught a nice 18" Lake Trout on a Bead Head Glow Bug Egg on sinking line. We also fished the Greys River over in the Wyoming Range, camping at Moose Flats Campground. No mosquitoes at the Greys and great scenery. More people around and about on the road than on the Green but we caught several 14" Snake River Cuts and tons of 10" ones.... We also fished the middle Piney Creek outside of Big Piney. The place is beautiful but only caught a few 10" Cutthroats between the bunch of us. Never got out to Labarge Creek. Great fun, weather, and awesome scenery, gotta go back!

Upper Green River and Green River Lakes 07/26-07/29/2008:

Greys River 07/31/08-08/02/08:

Upper Imnaha River, Eastern Oregon 08/04/08 - 08/10/08....

Well that is another story....

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dooolan

Thanks for sharing your fishing trip, and your photos are great, looks like you had a great trip!
Your mosquito problem reminded me of what it can be like in Alaska (100% Deet up there).

Larry