The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 08-21-2017, 11:26 AM

viggysmalls will become famous soon enough
Default Brook Trout stacked up in single pool

I was out fishing yesterday and encountered an interesting phenomenon.

I had been making my way up river and with no luck, despite fishing some nice pools. All of a sudden I get to a smaller pool just after a set of riffles. First cast - I hook a nice brookie. Second cast - and even better one. I ended up hooking about 12 fish and landing about 10 of them out of this fairly unremarkable pool. Just as quickly as they started attacking my fly, they stopped. I waded up next to the pool to get a closer look with my polarized sunglasses, and could see over 2 dozen brook trout all stacked up together.

I continued on up the river and had no luck in what looked like better pools and saw very little movement in them to boot.

The water was relatively warm and the water levels were quite low (I was using my 4 weight instead of my 3 to get fish in and released faster). My theory is that there might have been an underwater spring or something releasing colder water into this particular pool. It is not behavior I had seen before in brook trout.

Does anyone know why brook trout might exhibit this type of behaviour? Is it typical for mid-summer conditions?
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mlob1one, ejsell, mklazer20, smcnearn liked this post
Old 08-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Brook Trout stacked up in single pool

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brook Trout stacked up in single pool

I once had a fisheries biologist tell me that locally, trout will migrate as much as 10 miles to find favorable water temperatures

I took an underwater photo of this pool but somehow it got lost.
The pool is about the size of a large SUV and it held somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 brookies
There was quite a few more in the next pool down as well

Click the image to open in full size.
Likes ejsell, viggysmalls, smcnearn liked this post
Old 08-21-2017, 05:48 PM

omas is on a distinguished road

Send me the GPS locations of these pools or I will sue you! (of course I am just joking).
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ejsell, littledavid123 liked this post
Old 08-21-2017, 05:53 PM

Bigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Brook Trout stackned up in single pool

Nice cutty....
You may learn to love barbless..
It means you caught it...not the hook.

Jim
Old 08-22-2017, 01:42 PM

lake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to beholdlake flyer is a splendid one to behold

They pod up before spawning too, but it seems way early for that. I'm guessing a cold water seep.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mklazer20 liked this post
Old 08-22-2017, 03:15 PM

maineiactoo is on a distinguished road

Cold water without doubt. That's why spring holes in lakes here in Maine are marked with posts and are off limits.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes bloomagoo liked this post
Old 08-25-2017, 10:05 PM

gkdevon1 is on a distinguished road

Yeah brook trout are very sensitive. You are probably right about some source of cold water that you could not see. Nice job on the fish too.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:23 PM

westcoast has a spectacular aura aboutwestcoast has a spectacular aura aboutwestcoast has a spectacular aura about

Nice, hope I come across a pool that stacked one day
Old 08-26-2017, 06:08 PM

smcnearn has much to be proud ofsmcnearn has much to be proud ofsmcnearn has much to be proud ofsmcnearn has much to be proud ofsmcnearn has much to be proud ofsmcnearn has much to be proud ofsmcnearn has much to be proud ofsmcnearn has much to be proud ofsmcnearn has much to be proud of

Thermal refuge as they call it, or depending on your altitude.... yes late August they do move to their staging holes near the spawning flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2017, 07:49 PM

mirabelasunshine is a glorious beacon of lightmirabelasunshine is a glorious beacon of lightmirabelasunshine is a glorious beacon of lightmirabelasunshine is a glorious beacon of lightmirabelasunshine is a glorious beacon of lightmirabelasunshine is a glorious beacon of light

You probably should take a water temp before fishing a spot like that again. Often when you find them like that, temps and oxygen levels are nearing critical, and catching them can be a death sentence.

- William Blake
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks flybri2 thanked for this post
Likes littledavid123 liked this post