If You Were In a 2 Fly Tournament....

only adipose

Reaction score
If you were in a 2 fly tournament, which 2 flies would you use? I know there are countless factors that come into play but forget about them.... Which two flies would it be?

airborne 82nd

Reaction score
Well you're on east coast ..? That's a open question lol , I guess I would go with
A nymph , perhaps a frenchy/ w hot spot , or Bead head hares ear grub ,
Second choice I'd have to go/ w a BWO .... sizes on both I'd use #18
Last but not least when in doubt , you can't go wrong with a Black woolly bugger
Good luck.
Airborne ( David )

sjkirkpa

Reaction score
Parachute Adams and a Bead-head hare's ear nymph. Both probably #16.

These have done well for me across the country.

flytie09

Reaction score
I'm assuming trout fishing.....

Black copper John and a flash back pheasant tail nymph. Do I get various sizes of these? If not a size 12 black copper john and a size 14 flash back pheasant tail unweighted. I'd have a to say a zebra midge and a brown hares ear would be in the running too....

ft09

denver1911

Reaction score
Copper John, size 16.
Pheasant tail nymph, size 14.

Not knowing anything about the water to be fished, but assuming trout since this is the coldwater forum. These two might change if I knew ahead of time where we'd be fishing and when. That said, I'd not likely be found anywhere near such a contest.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
#18 zebra midge. And a #18 zebra midge.
Unless you guys do it different elsewhere, out here a two fly tourny is just that, you get two flies, for the whole duration, and thats it.
I wouldn't recommend picking two in two different sizes and fishing both. You hang that point fly and there goes both of them in one pop, then youre done.
And if theres moving water, theres midges. No matter what the season or condition. And trout are eating them.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

flytie09

Reaction score
Rules weren't established outside of 2 flies. If we were Steelhead fishing in Salmon River, NY.... a size 4 rubber leg Kaufmann stone and a Size 6 orange bead head rubber leg Jumbo John.

It totally depends on watershed, species and time of year......

ft09

0bie

Reaction score
Trout? Anywhere?

For fun: A Blue Quill as a dry because they're effective and awfully pretty. Hare's ear soft hackle, for the same reasons.

To win: Mohair leech (#6, probably), and a green caddis larvae (#14 or a #16). You can clean up on those two, basically anywhere.

dean_mt

Reaction score
While I'd like to try to be original, if it is a contest and out to win I'd go with the classic western combo of big foam dry like the Chubby Chernobyl and a San Juan Worm. They both catch fish, all day, and anytime of the year. And you can fish them together (if that is allowed).

djb_88

Reaction score
#18 zebra midge. And a #18 zebra midge.
Unless you guys do it different elsewhere, out here a two fly tourny is just that, you get two flies, for the whole duration, and thats it.
I wouldn't recommend picking two in two different sizes and fishing both. You hang that point fly and there goes both of them in one pop, then youre done.
And if theres moving water, theres midges. No matter what the season or condition. And trout are eating them.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly. Can't go wrong with a midge. I start out with them almost every time I'm on trout water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigfly

Reaction score
In a real one fly contest you have 1 hr to tie the flies you will use on the day.
if applied to your contest, how would that effect your strategy?
I think Stig would would still be right.
Midges, easy and fast.......and effective.

Jim

nevadanstig

Reaction score
In a real one fly contest you have 1 hr to tie the flies you will use on the day.
if applied to your contest, how would that effect your strategy?
I think Stig would would still be right.
Midges, easy and fast.......and effective.

Jim
Durable too, which in a tournament is very important. I fished one once, and the biggest thing I took away from that day was, we really spend a lot of time in fly fishing tying on new flies and undoing tangles. And in a tournament, it's crucial to have flies in the water as much as possible. If they're not, you're not catching fish.
It's a night and day difference fishing a tourney and fishing just a normal day.
I think in your average tournament, you couldn't pay me personally to fish a dry fly. Most are too fragile, and your going to spend too much time messing with floatant, drying the thing out, and tying on new ones.
It all depends on how fast you can rig, but let's say it takes you 3 minutes to tie on a new rig. If you have to change rigs every hour, that's 6 rig changes (if nothing goes wrong like snags or tangles, and they will) in a 6 hour tournament. That's 20 minutes of time NOT fishing, and that's not figuring in those snags or tangles. In productive water, that could be 3 fish less, which can mean the difference between first and fourteenth.
This is why you see all these simple patterns with synthetic materials coming out of the tournament circuits. CDC is not your friend when durability is important.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Bigfly

Reaction score
Since you calculate things.......
After all these years, I had a retractor break, so I combined my Gink on the same retractor as my nippers.
Saved 0.5 sec. at least every time I use a dry........it was analogus to not laying down scissors when tying...and I smiled.
This efficiency is important....and I will never compete for fish....
But I understand more fishing, less futzing .........:rolleyes:
Tangles?