Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  34
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Blog Entries

Default Until next year, farewell.

The other day I was mumbling profanities while tying up a few bugs as the wind was ripping and that just makes me irritable; putting it nicely. Around here storms bring wind, guaranteed, maybe some rain or snow as a side a half day later. Anyhow, the phone rings, bit late, so I knew it was one of two people. Turns out to be my first guess and he wanted to hit the Portal before they shut the road down for the season. I hemmed and hawed and told him that they would probably have it closed because of the storm. I finally agreed but we would have to wait until I called Bureau of Rec. in the morning to find out if they closed the road. Not that it's far but why waste time driving to find your plans gated shut.

Morning comes and I make a call and behold the lady says the gates are open but they are plowing the road so take care. Plowing and open? Usually when the snow sticks in the fall the gates get closed for winter. She says they are going to try something "new" this year. Thanks and have a great day???????

If you never been to the Portal the road down is 16% grade with hairpin turns, not to mention it's all north face. I've seen Rec. close the road in the spring for 1/2" of snow. I've had rocks larger than truck tires pass in front of me during cloud bursts. In the summer it's an easy road, just don't get stuck behind a tourist or you get to smell brakes all the way down. People get going too fast and end up in your lane because it's not a corner, it's an about face; giant switchback for vehicles most of the way down. Steep enough that I drop the 250 in 1 and let gravity do the rest. So when I hear the words plows, snow, and open it grabbed my attention.

The road was dry most of the way down. Sections where the sun will not shine until next year had a nice coating. Not really snow as we found out but some nice sparse snow covered ice. When the truck hit it we did a little shimmy so my buddy decided that 4 wheel was a good idea and I agreed. No reason to get to the bottom the fast way. So began my last day in the Portal for 2017. (As for something "new" Rec is going to try is beyond me. I guess they want to pick up some destroyed vehicles and dead people before 2018 gets here because that's what WILL happen.)

To make a long story short (South Park enthusiasts will understand), I decided to share a few pictures of this season in the Portal with you and revisit some memories for me. LOL

Few days after opening

In five miles you can see turkey, deer, elk, bear, lions....but just a grouse this day.

April midge hatch

April/May BWO hatch

Portal 2017 1st release

Just some spring fish

Spring bear. Youngster. Ate a guys pontoon seat that day. lol He actually sat down and watched me. Notice my rod as he isn't that far. Saw him most of the summer. Bears should run and this guy is getting to accustomed to people. Not good for him.

Spring evenings.

Thanks to a wet winter here, very high water! The above fish pics would be 100% underwater last June.

Summer doubles

Mom and her cubs on the way out. Saw them many times. Buddy had them walk the bank right being where he was waded out fishing.

Next year I'll get better footage or pictures of the river otters; the best fishermen in the canyon. LOL

Getting late so I will add my closing picture for 2017 in the Portal. Getting cold down there when the shadow finds you.

Farewell to thee! but not farewell
    To all my fondest thoughts of thee:
    Within my heart they still shall dwell;
    And they shall cheer and comfort me.
    O, beautiful, and full of grace!
    If thou hadst never met mine eye,
    I had not dreamed a living face
    Could fancied charms so far outvie.
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

Default Re: Until next year, farewell.

Thanks corn fed, good stuff right there! (If you can stay on the road)

Denny

3. Thanks corn fed fins thanked for this post
    Likes Ard, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Awesome report and photos, what a gorgeous place to fish!
    I have only been there once, but I'll take a pass when I hear that they are plowing, that road is just too steep to messing around on with any kind of ice potential.
    Larry

5. Thanks corn fed fins thanked for this post
    Likes Ard, silver creek, just4grins, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Beautiful write up and images!

It's sad, every year, it doesen't change. We like to think we have at least one more day but when the weather takes a turn reality sets in. I've told myself that I'm done unless I can count on highs of at least 25*.

Great post!

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

7. Thanks corn fed fins thanked for this post
    Likes hairwing530 liked this post
  8. Default Re: Until next year, farewell.

16% grade, hairpins, and a little ice?

9. Likes corn fed fins, hairwing530 liked this post

Great report and awesome photo's.Thanks for posting.
    -Steve

11. Thanks corn fed fins thanked for this post
    Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Where exactly is this lovely place?