San Juan

Hillboy

Reaction score
Good morning, folks. New here. But not new by any measure! Took up the fly rod back in 1976 after watching Curt Gowdy and Jack Dennis on "The American Sportsman" TV show, float the Snake River. Growing up in Northern Minnesota, I had never seen a fly rod. Immediately went out and bought a Pfluegger Medalist, a Fenwick rod and a Cortland line. Didn't know what I was doing, but I was a fly fisherman! Been flailing away ever since.

Haven't been to the San Juan in about 15 years. We moved to Pine, CO about a half hour from Cheesman Canyon on the South Platte, so I had my own Gold Medal water right there.

But, tired of the cold and thought I would make a trip to NM and fish below the dam.

Anyone been there lately? I've heard the lake has turned over and clouded the water, but that the fishing is actually still good, even with visibility around 2 feet.

Any reports appreciated.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Hillboy
Welcome to the forum!
Scoutm, his buddy Dan and I were there in early January for a few days, we stayed at Abs and had a great time. Yes, the reservoir was turning over and the river was off color but definitely fishable.
Seeing how you haven't been in 15 years, you are going to be surprised at all the improvements they are doing. While we were there they had a big excavator and dump truck in the river, digging out a channel to improve the fish habitat.
Here is a trip report that I posted:
San Juan River, January 2018

Here is a trip report that Myt1 posted just a few days ago:
Mini San Juan River Report

Hillboy

Reaction score
Larry,

Thanks for the welcome. I had actually read your report, and enjoyed it. I liked the detail. I am just waiting for the weather to break a bit. I just turned 66 and find that I don't enjoy winter fishing as much as I used to. Until about 5 years or so ago, I would fish all winter long. I've been on the South Platte by Deckers when it was 13 degrees. I only caught two fish, but one was a dandy 22" bow. Made chipping ice out of the guides every other cast worth it. I'm semi-retired, so I can go when I want. Planning on leaving on a Wednesday and fishing for 4 days. It's a day drive there and back for me. Looking forward to getting back there. I had some wonderful days on that river back then. I was surprised to hear about stockers. I always thought it was a naturally reproducing river.