Franche-Comté (France)

Taskienne

Reaction score
Hello, :icon_bigg

I'm Clément, I'm twenty, I'm french and I live in Franche-Comté, a nice land in east of France near Genève...:icon_roll

Excuse me, my english is not so good than I want...:icon_roll I came on this forum to echange whit american flyfishers, in front of understand what is fishing in america...:icon_mrgr Especially, what is the place its place in society ? Or what are the style of fishing ? Are people accepting to catch and release in yours countries ? There is measure to preserve wild fishs ?

But before, let me show what is my vision of flyfishing... :cool: I just practice in river, I don't really like Lake, but it's right we haven't really nice natural lakes in France.

I use an Rod, lenght 9', line 5... After my line a take 8 meters of leaders, finished by 8 to 16/100 of mm... I'm fishing whit small dryfly and nymph (hook n°14 to 18 generally)...

I praticipe dryfly when trouts ....... (How do you say when trout take insect on the surface ???) and nymph "in wiev" ("à vue" in french), it's seem I just fishing when I the the fish... I just fish wild yellow trout (fario in french), and for me nicest fishing is "in view" on big trout, hard to catch.

But let me show my rivers and my fishs...

A nice trout - dryfly (60 cm)

A friend in fight whit a big trout on Loue. You can see how the water is clear, we can fishing "in view"...

Trout - nymph "in view" (57 cm)

Doubs River, beetwin France and Swiss. Near Goumois.

Catch ans Release everytime...

That's all. I hope you liked it.
Buy...:D

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Clement,

Welcome to the forum. Very happy to hear from you and get your great pictures. You are lucky to have such beautiful rivers to fish. We have millions of fishermen and fisher women but they don't all fly fish. Fishing is accepted by most people but there are groups that are against it. Each state has it's own department to control fishing. We have both fresh water and salt water fishing.

Most fly fishers practice catch and release. I think your Fario Trout is related with our Brown Trout.

Your English is fine so keep posting.

Frank

yatahey

Reaction score
Clement,
Yes, welcome to the forum and I agree with Frank. Looks like a Brown.

Beautiful scenery and excellent fish. You are blessed my friend.
Now, I have a question for you.
I've heard that animal rights activists are banning catch & release in parts of Europe saying it is cruel and inhumane treatment of the fish. Is this true and if so, has it affected your area?
Yatahey

Taskienne

Reaction score
I think your Fario Trout is related with our Brown Trout.
In deed, the brown trout is Salmo Trutta Fario... Shortly, it's the same fish in europ than america !!!:icon_razz

Soit what is interressant in my point of view is the difference between all differente "stump" (do undersant this word)...:icon_bigg

For exemple, in France we have to differente stump...

- The Atlantique Stump (trouts of rivers go in antlantique ocean), it's so round, whit some red color, a lot of black point, some red point, small head... But they are not all same, see...

- The Mediterranean Stump, (trout of rivers go in mediterraneen sea), it's so longue, whit brown yellow colors, some small black point, big head and stripes !!!

Some differences ??? I cought all, and released... But there is all wild brown trouts...

Ciao? Clément.:icon_evil

Taskienne

Reaction score
Now, I have a question for you.
I've heard that animal rights activists are banning catch & release in parts of Europe saying it is cruel and inhumane treatment of the fish. Is this true and if so, has it affected your area?
Yes it's true. The "no-kill" (it's the word to say Cath and Release in Europe) is forbidden by law in Deustchland, you can just kill one trout by a day and return at home !!! :mad:

But have you never seen a trout jump out the fishnet ??? :icon_wink:icon_wink:icon_wink

But you know, catch and release is not the probleme in Europe for river... There is a lot of agression than pollution of water, dam on river... And contrary at north america, river in europe gone to death, nothing is interressed by fishing and fish... For all it's an stupid activises reserved for old people, it's old-fashioned... :(

Cioa. Clément

jose

Reaction score
Welcome Clément. I'm glad to see you catching and enjoying the art of fly fishing. Great pictures. I'm sorry to hear about your pollution in the waters of Europe. Is there a size limit in your area as to the fish you can take? In my area it's 12" (30.5 cm).

Taskienne

Reaction score
Welcome Clément. I'm glad to see you catching and enjoying the art of fly fishing. Great pictures. I'm sorry to hear about your pollution in the waters of Europe. Is there a size limit in your area as to the fish you can take? In my area it's 12" (30.5 cm).
Hello,

In my area, it's 32 cm... Maximum 2 fishs per day, and maximum 20 fishs per years... It's a good resolution, but me association policy is the most strict in France...

Generaly, it's 20 cm, maximum 6 fishs per day and no limit per years...:icon_frow

Ciao. Clem.

Kai

Reaction score
Yes it's true. The "no-kill" (it's the word to say Cath and Release in Europe) is forbidden by law in Deustchland, you can just kill one trout by a day and return at home !!! :mad:

But have you never seen a trout jump out the fishnet ??? :icon_wink:icon_wink:icon_wink

But you know, catch and release is not the probleme in Europe for river... There is a lot of agression than pollution of water, dam on river... And contrary at north america, river in europe gone to death, nothing is interressed by fishing and fish... For all it's an stupid activises reserved for old people, it's old-fashioned... :(

Cioa. Clément

How different. Here in the US, you are highly encouraged to catch and release.

I would also say that in the US, it is the pinnacle of cool to be a fly fisherman. :) :)

(but my wife would laugh at me for saying it.)