Fishing Upper Kenai, Alaska

hfvine

Reaction score
Leaving on a trip to drift boat the Upper Kenai River, Alaska. Any suggestions on what type of waders to bring? Thank you!!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi hfvine,

I am going to assume you are fishing the river between Cooper's Landing and Skilak Lake. I doubt you will float the whole section but this is the area that a lot of guides use.

I always used neoprenes but breathable will work with the right insulation underneath. The Breathable are more comfortable and that would be my choice today. Chest highs would be a good choice. The Kenai is a big river and you might want to take an inflatable vest. The belt style won't get in your way and should do the job. You will wear it a lot more than you would with a regular life vest. You should talk to your guide and ask what they recommend. Keep in mind that they float this water all the time and may get complacent. Water levels are lower this time of the year but you still need to be safety aware.

There is a good chance that your guide will want to drift with a plug. That is the preferred way they fish for big Rainbows and Salmon. Did you set up a fly fishing trip or just a fishing trip?

Frank

hfvine

Reaction score
Thanks Frank for the info! I was planning on taking my breathable waders with fleece pants underneath. I have two types one with boots attached and the regular stocking waders. The ones with boots attached I use for winter steelheading so I was thinking about taking them since I understand the Kenai is a very cold river. I would love your take on this. This is a fly fishing trip (catch and release) and I was told to leave the 5wt at home. The guides use 7wt rods with floating lines. Their technique is to dead drift bead patterns near the bottom. They also stop to have you wade and fish the gravel bars. I have never been to Alaska so am really looking forward to this trip. Again thanks for your help.

2PawsRiver

Reaction score
Take that 5 wt, after you drift the upper Kenai you can hit some really nice water in the area. there is a dandy little river near Copper Harbor (will get the name if you're interested, the Upper Stretches of the Russian, you should take a moment and hit Hope Alaska.

It's funny when we started planning our trip to Alaska it was all about the Kenai, turned out we fished about an hour on the Kenai.

To get a look at things check the fishing page of our website, shows our whole trip.

Hope you have a great time Alaska is fantastic. We are planning 2 weeks next year.:)

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi hfvine,

I think your boot foot breathable waders would be a good choice for drift boat fishing. I expect you will be fishing bead head buggers and egg sucking leaches. There will be Salmon in the river and you might fish some flesh flies or egg patterns. The guide will know what works.

You may get a chance at a big Rainbow. I have fished an 8wt all over Alaska, even for Grayling when there were Rainbows or Salmon in the river. A 7wt should be a good choice.

Here is a tip that won't mean much unless you get into trouble. Make sure you have a good match safe or flint with some dry kindling on your person all the time. You should also have a pocket knife along. I always carried this items on me when I am on the water or in a plane.

Frank

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're in a boat it won't matter. I wear a pair of Bean Wicked Tough Waders with jeans under them and fish there often. They are cool enough while I'm floating and warm enough when parked and wading.