San Juan Report

Hillboy

Reaction score
Went down last week for 4 days. Had great weather, and decent fishing. The game and fish folks have stocked a BUNCH of rainbows in the river. I heard from 65-140,000. Not sure which is accurate, but it is a bunch. And they are hungry and definitely not selective. Put on any of the midge emerger patterns, RS-2, blood worm, etc, and you will get hooked up...early and often. Most of the stockers are 8-12". I went to a traditional SJ Worm in a 16, thinking the big boys might enjoy a little larger meal, but still kept hooking the shorties. Tried a streamer in the Texas Hole the first day, when it was uncrowded after about 4:30 in the afternoon, but no dice. The section under reconstruction from Simon Point down opened on Thursday or Friday...can't remember. And it was good. Bigger fish, less stockers, and the streamer worked. Nothing too big, a couple around 20" or so, and a bunch of nice healthy fighters. The clarity seemed a little better downstream, too...maybe 3 feet. Olive, brown and black wooley buggers also worked in the faster pockets. Fought the wind two days, but it wasn't so bad you couldn't fish. Knocked myself in the back of the head with a weighted streamer a couple times when the back cast collapsed in the wind...hurt like he11, but that's part of it. :D I haven't been to the SJ for about 8 years, so it was good to get back. The folks I talked to familiar with the river really liked the results of the restoration on the lower stretch. Not sure I'll make it back this spring, but hoping to get there in the summer. Tight lines!

lacanadio

Reaction score
Sounds like a good time. Glad they finished the work and sounds like it was a positive effect.

I can't wait to get back up there...