Steelhead gear question?

longbow_ray

Reaction score
A friend has invited me to go steelheading with him on Michigans Betsie River.

The only gear I own is a 5wt TFO NXT starter rig. I'm a complete rookie at this fly fishing thing. I also don't like borrowing gear. I prefer to have my own.

I'm looking to gear up for this. I have a budget of $200 to $250 for the complete rig. I'm currently looking at the Piscifun Platte reel and the 7 weight Piscifun Sword rod.

My thinking is get a decent reel and I can always upgrade to a "better" rod at a later date.

I'd also like this system to do duty on Lake St. Clair as a smallie, pike, and carp outfit.

Am I on the right track, or are there other options that I should consider?

Thank you.

Ray

ddb

Reaction score
Quite frankly, I do not see how you can get set up for steelhead in that $ range buying new. You still need line and backing.

Buying used, you might just pull it off. A used Redington Behemoth 7-8 would do at less than $100. Then look for a used rod --preferably a stout one by a reputable maker like St, Croix -- that has been a demonstrator in a local shop. You friend may have an old line...? Do not skimp on the rod! A rod with no guts will be worse than useless if it survives, Then you are going to bust the budget on things like flies, leaders, etc..

Good luck and let us know how you fared.

ddb

flytie09

Reaction score
Check out John Norris - Fishing Tackle Shops, Fishing Rods & Lines - John Norris. They are an Outdoor Outfitter in the UK. They have some great deals on rods, reels and lines right now.

The Shakespeare Oracle Switch rods are on clearance. They only have a 1 yr warranty...but it's a nice rod. They are not junk. Shakespeare Oracle Switch Fly Rod - Single Double Handed Salmon Fishing Rods. I have an 8/9 myself.

Keep in mind the prices listed listed are higher than when you get through check out and enter your US address at the end. VAT tax is subtracted out. Prices below are without VAT.

Rod - 11' Oracle Switch 7/8 or 8/9 - 50 GBP
Airflo Rage 7/8 or 8/9 - 25 GBP
Reel - 7/8/9 or 9/10/11 Shakespeare Oracle - 50 GBP
Shipping - 8 GBP

Total = 133 GBP = $185 USD

Pick up 150 yd backing, an inexpensive running line ($5 from John Norris), a 9' T-10 sink tip, a 3-pack of 9.5' 0x tapered mono leaders, some 8 and 12 lb tippet and you're in business for under $250 easy.

The reel...I have no experience with. It seemed like a decent reel for the price on that particular website. YouTube. You might pick up an Allen, Piscifun, Lamson, Orvis Battenkill, Pflueger Medalist, etc and be happier. This is up to you.

A note on the line as I'm afraid this is the most confusing part. We could go on and on about this. Just understand, the Airflo Rage line is simply a suggestion. You can't beat this price for it anywhere in the US. The Rage line is a hybrid Skagit/Scandi line. It's a good versatile line for swinging large and small flies. I own several different grain weights for my various Switch rods. I swing flies exclusively. I rarely nymph fish for steelhead.

You can also look at a switch rod line like the Rio Switch Chucker, Rio Switch, or Airflo Skagit/Switch G2 or OPST Commando line. These will be a little easier to nymph with.....but have limitations when you get into spey casting. There are exceptions.....you can perform Skagit casts with them and even double haul them.

Lines is where it gets confusing. And if I did so, I'm sorry. I see the Betsie is a small river....so I was trying to suggest gear where you can nymph and swing a streamer too.

I hope this helps or at least gives you some options to explore.

ft09

Last edited:

rockriver

Reaction score
Depending on what month you go, I'd go for a 8 weight rod minimum. The fall Salmon run produces some big Kings. As for the amount you spend, watch the classified section on this forum since it's going to be hard to do with your current budget. Depending on what section of the river your fishing and the time of year you'll be going, the river can be very crowded so it's not a good time to learn casting technique.

Last edited:

sjkirkpa

Reaction score
Yup. I agree 8wt is what you need at least.

You might want to look at an Echo Base kit, with upgrades. The Base is a much, much better rod than the price would lead one to believe. But I would upgrade to an Echo Ion reel and a better line. You can get a rod/reel/line that will serve you for a long time and you will be happy with it for your budget. Just need to find an Echo dealer nearby or call one on the phone.

brownbass

Reaction score
You might check on Sierra Trading Post for a rod, reel or line, all three maybe. I feel your budget is slim but it is what it is. Upcountry fly shop and Backcountry also have closeout and used rods and reels.

Bill

myt1

Reaction score
And one more thing.

There are absolutely no fish, particularly steelhead, on the Betsie; the place is a sterile wasteland.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Budgets seldom work out in association to fly fishing but you are welcome to try staying within your set parameters. I agree with others suggesting a hevier rod, I have caught steelhead on 5 weights, 7 weights and 9 weights. All of those were single hand rods and the 9 weight was the easiest one to reel in a fish with.

In the food for thought department I'll offer this, you said you are new to the fly fishing thing. Are you able to cast with some semblance of proficiency? I've not fished the Betsie River but had a friend living near it who did. I was left under the impression that it was a fairly large river. Steelhead fishing can happen at close range or you can find yourself in a situation where you are forced to cast at least 50 feet or more because it's too deep to wade closer.

If you are doing well with casting then buying another setup, a dedicated big fish outfit may make sense. If you are still working at learning how to cast your 5 weight then learning to handle a heavier outfit with larger flies could be difficult. If your friend has extra gear and is offering to outfit you then why not take advantage of the offer. If you guys are friends then the offer is genuine and there is no shame in using someone else's rod. There could be some frustration or embarrassment involved if you rush out to buy a new outfit then struggle with using it.

Just saying, maybe something in what I said will make sense.

longbow_ray

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who has responded and offered advice.

My friend is a dedicated spinning rod fisherman. I'm more open to the challenge, that fly fishing brings. It just sounds more fun to me.

I also have a teenager, who likes to pursue my interests as well. (Generally after I try them for a season or so, his interest peaks.) That's why a limited budget to start, I generally have to purchase 2 of everything. This is just to get started and gauge long term interest.

In doing some more research, I have found several 8 weight outfits.

1) Cabelas Big Horn Outfit, currently on sale for $60.

2) Cabelas Synch Outfit, $150

3) Redington Path outfit, $100

4) Redington Crosswater Outfit, $100

I know these are probably not 100% ideal for what I want to do, but possibly they are good enough for a season or two. I'm currently leaning toward the Redington Path. I believe that it is a step up from the Crosswater.

I was able to give the Crosswater a shake at a local Cabelas, and liked the feel. It felt "slower" to me, than the other rods.

Thank you.

Ray

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The fact that the friend will be using spinning gear changes things a bit then. Any one of the outfits you list will get it done for you. You'll want to be looking at whatever fly patterns people are recommending for use on that river also. I was thinking that there was someone offering fly fishing gear for you to use but now I understand that you'll need to get your own big game rod reel and line.

Keep us in the loop as this project and trip progress please,

Ard

flytie09

Reaction score
I was in the same boat as you. We all have been on here. I put together my first steelhead and salmon rig for less than $150. It was a Pflueger President reel, an 9' 8 WT Redington Crosswater rod and I can't even remember the line. I can tell you it caught fish. It caught alot of fish. It just had limitations.

We're just trying to keep it as simple as possible. Every person on here is going to have their own opinion. We're all just trying to get you steered in the right direction. If a combo is he only thing in your budget and you're scared to put together a rig yourself....I get it.

I would venture a guess there might be a member on here within 20 miles of you that would let you borrow a setup. I know I would if you were closer.

Good luck,

ft09

bassclef

Reaction score
The Redington Path is a fantastic Steelhead nymphing rod. I'm not sure if you can do any better in that price range and you'll never "need" to upgrade if you don't want to.

I use a 10' 7wt and I've landed dozens of 6-10lb Great Lakes fish with it. Great action for mending and protecting tippet. I'm not sure if they still make a 10' 8wt version.

For the reel, get the largest arbor you can. The line pickup that offers will come in handy when you stick one and it starts coming right at you. I subscribe to the theory of having a sealed drag to prevent freeze-up in cold weather. I see you're in Michigan, so you might want to consider that as well.

Best of luck!

longbow_ray

Reaction score
Update....

I have held off and saved a bit more. In the end, I went with nothing I had been thinking about.

I ended up purchasing an outfit from The Fly Shop in California. I found them using the search function on here, while I was researching 8 weight rods. It appears that they have their rods manufactured in Korea.

I bought one of their private labeled kits, the Fresh H20 in 8wt. It comes with a machined large arbor reel with Rio line and backing.

It totaled just under $300. I can't wait for it to get here! I'm on my way to catching my first steelhead on a fly rod!

Thank you everyone for the advice.

Ray

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Good way to start the journey, I started steelheading with a 8wt single hand outfit and it served me well for many years.

It should fish nice with smaller fish but when you tie into a big angry hook jaw beastie you’re going to need that power to land the fish quickly or usually at all.

Way to start out right with flies instead of following you bud into spin fishing. You get street cred right off the bat from me.

It’s harder at first but the rewards are great the quality is way better than quantity. Please consider a catch and release of three fish a day and always keep them wet.

By limiting the amount of fish we disturb and effective c and r we can greatly decrease our impact on fish.

Good luck on the road, UF

Tracker12

Reaction score
I have as new St Croix Avid 9' 7wt that I would be willing to sell. Great for steelhead and you should not need to upgrade.

brownbass

Reaction score
Feather-Craft sells an EchoION XL Outfit rod, reel, and line for $269.00 That's for the 890 our the 710 outfit either one would work.

Bill

longbow_ray

Reaction score
Just a quick fishing report...

I made my first trip up to the Betsie with my new fishing outfit. It worked out great!

I am happy to report that I did not get outfished by my friend with the spinning rig. We both ended up with zero fish.... We had a front come through and drop about 6" of snow on us during the night. The river was very high and very fast. I did not personally see anyone catch a fish, regardless of fishing method used.

I learned a lot.

1) My casting needs work.. a lot of work.

2) I need to learn how to do the single handed spey cast. The river was very tight with no room for a backcast in areas.

3) I need to have more leaders, and tippets pre tied and ready to go. (I was using Mr. Stetts weighted leader system, that he kindly made a video of.)

I'll be back for more... this is very fun!

Thanks everyone!

Ray