Unglamorous break-in of new Orvis 4wt

desmobob

Reaction score
I picked up an Orvis Superfine Glass 7'6" 4wt recently and fished with it yesterday and today. I fished a local river that is pretty much put-and-take... most all of the trout get cooked out from high water temperatures by August but a few big hold-over browns get caught there each spring.

I fished a favorite spot yesterday with no luck. Plenty of insect activity but no fish to be found. I tried a different spot today and things were the same. That is, until I was heading back to the car and encountered the stocking truck at the river.

I watched the hoards of 8" browns enjoying their new freedom and was surprised to see them start feeding immediately. I watched for a long time. Then, I looked at my new rod... the sweet, smooth, soft, beautiful new rod that has never felt the pull of a trout. I was torn. For about a half a minute.

Trying to give the rod and I a chance to retain some dignity, I tied on a pretty Royal Trude rather than an egg pattern and caught one of the browns. I immediately took down the rod and walked back to the car. I felt dirty.

I know nobody likes to hear this kind of sordid story, but I had to get it off my chest.

Tight lines,
Bob

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Now, if you started fishing before you knew about the stocking truck, and were catching fish, you'd have a whole different out look on it, that is till you saw the truck on the way back. Then the smile gets turned upside down.

You'll get over it I'm sure.

mike_r

Reaction score
Nothing like getting the “skunk” off of a new rod! I have the same Orvis SFG 764 rod and wanted so much to make the first connection with a trout on a dry fly on the rods maiden voyage. No real shame but nothing was rising in one of my favorite runs which is where I typically swing soft hackles with success. Well, could not resist tying on a little hairs ear softie and almost immediately caught a nice 9” rainbow. Moved up to next hole upstream and picked up a little 8” brownie on top with an Adams style Crackleback dry for fish number 2! Was fishing a small river (more stream like at that elevation) and generally do not nymph such waters so I was plenty tickled with the outcome!

Great rod choice btw!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfetz

Reaction score
Oh the shame...I broke in my new Scott Flex 10' 4WT this weekend...on Bluegill. Also caught my first Crappie on the fly! Fish on!

del gue

Reaction score
Dude, you were trying to teach a tame trout to become a wary trout, and thus a more formidable fish for you and others to catch in the future. That is a laudable thing. You did all of us a service by catching that trout, and teaching it a valuable lesson. And in the process, you also now have a catch on your new rod, and that is also a good thing! By my reckoning, what you did was good for everybody, including you and the rod. You should feel proud to have helped us in such a manner, and your willingness to take one for the team and sacrifice on our behalf is duly noted and appreciated.

;-)