Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  36
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Default Re: Going to Utah early June, looking for advice

Quote Originally Posted by gfiad View Post
    This is great, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All States USGS web sites are normally updated (automatically) every hour so you really are looking at 'real time' info.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

2. Thanks gfiad thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post

All States USGS web sites are normally updated (automatically) every hour so you really are looking at 'real time' info.
    As is the case for 3 of the 4 river segments I mentioned above. Here are the gauges that I watch for the middle/lower sections of the Weber & Provo Rivers...

Middle Provo: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/u...00,00300,63680

Lower Provo (Deer Cr. Reservoir outflow): https://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/river/sta...plot.cgi?DCRU1

Middle Weber: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/u...00,00300,63680

Lower Weber: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/u...00,00300,63680
    "Joe"

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring

4. Likes cpiercem, mcnerney liked this post

Thanks again for all the info, I really appreciate it. Looks like I have plenty of options now. Iím pretty sure I will be going to dell reservoir and the middle Provo if the flow is ok. Hopefully the road to Mirror lake is open, I was really looking forward to going there.

About the Dell reservoir, I have had zero luck with trout in Stillwater. Whatís the best technique? Any tips on Stillwater fishing for trout would be much appreciated.

Blog Entries

Gfiad

I'm not a stillwater expert by a long shot, but you can have success fishing chironomids, scuds, blood worms and balanced leeches under and indicator. Not my favorite way to fish stillwater's (lack of patience), but it is incredibly effective. I prefer an intermediate or full sinking line and a slow retrieve, that way it keeps me busy and I don't get bored.
    Larry

7. Likes stenacron, cpiercem, gfiad liked this post

About the Dell reservoir, I have had zero luck with trout in Stillwater. What’s the best technique? Any tips on Stillwater fishing for trout would be much appreciated.
    Stillwater trout is a different ballgame to be sure. Being from PA I knew nothing about fly fishing lakes and reservoirs for trout, but since moving to Utah it has become a favorite of mine.

Like Larry mentioned chironomids will serve you well early on, but the hatch starts to weaken a bit as the waters warm and other food items become more prominent (mayflies, damsels, scuds, shrimp, etc.).

My favorite hatch is the Callibaetis mayfly - a stillwater specialty. 1st week in June at Little Dell they should come off between 9:00a-11:00a, depending on temps and wind/wave activity (they don't like big surf). If you see THESE riding the surface, you can be sure the trout are snatching the struggling nymphs within 6" of the surface:

My favorite fly before/during the hatch is Denny Rickards' Callibaetis Nymph. Fish a floating line, 12-14 foot leader, make a nice long cast and at first countdown between 10-20 before starting your retrieve. Change it up until you find what they want. Short (4-6") strip with a 4-count pause is a good start. As the flies appear on the surface I start the retrieve immediately using a s - l - o -w hand/wrist retrieve. They smash it. You'll see the boil and feel the take most times.

Two more flies I like a lot up there are Denny's A.P. Emerger and one I call the Prego Scud. The scud especially fishes great at dawn.

"Joe"

9. Thanks cpiercem thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney, gfiad liked this post

Looks like I need to pick up some flys when I get there. Iíve never heard of these flys before. Thanks again. Canít wait to see and fish Utah!

Looks like I need to pick up some flys when I get there. I’ve never heard of these flys before. Thanks again. Can’t wait to see and fish Utah!

I doubt you will find them in any flyshops... tying your own, or (perhaps) ordering on line are probably your best options.
    "Joe"

12. Thanks gfiad thanked for this post

That soft-hackle emerger (Denny's) should be killer during early June almost anywhere in the west.

14. Likes Joey Bagels, stenacron liked this post

I guess after all that has been said, there is one more thing you should bring if you're fishing Utah. Beer.

16. Likes mcnerney, gfiad, stenacron liked this post

I mentioned the Provo Bounce Rig in a previous reply. One thing I was not prepared for when moving out west is tailwater rivers managed for agricultural purposes. Common in summer is for river flows to be 4-5 times the fall/winter/spring volume. The fish are there though and they are holding tight to the bottom and feeding on tiny nymphs. The Bounce Rig is the engineered solution to catch these fish... it ain't pretty... it ain't even really fly fishing (more like lob fishing)... but it does work under adverse conditions. May want to have one tied up and stashed away if it turns out the local rivers are your only option.

NOTE: You cannot cast this rig in a conventional method (see article for technique).

Here's what the rig looks like:

Here's an article on the subject written by local guide Larry Tullis (and the creator of the Bounce Rig): http://www.flyfisherman.com/featured/bounce-nymphing/
    "Joe"

18. Thanks gfiad thanked for this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast