Going to Utah early June, looking for advice

gfiad

Reaction score
So I’ll be in Salt Lake City, Utah the first week of June for work and I’ve added a day at the end for some fishing. I will have all day Thursday and the morning of Friday to fish. I was thinking of hitting the upper Provo the first morning to catch some wild cutthroat, never caught one of those before, then check out mirror lake for lunch and finish up on the middle Provo in the afternoon and evening looking for bigger brown trout. Then maybe hitting Mill Creek Friday morning. Would you guys recommend something else instead and also what can I expect? Crowded, water levels that time of year, what types of flys do you all use out there? This will be my first time in Utah.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
I make a few trips to SLC each year and always squeeze in at least a half day of fishing. The Provo is a great river of you have a few hours to fling feathers. It gets its share of anglers, but I’ve never had a negative experience. Everyone I’ve met has been respectful, friendly, and helpful. Caddis, midges, and Baetis should be hatching, along with terrestrials. Scuds and cress bugs are critical patterns to have. Don’t forget Strawberry Reservoir is only 1.5 hours away and there are some monster cutthroat that will be cruising the shoreline, looking for anything they can fit in their mouths.

gfiad

Reaction score
I make a few trips to SLC each year and always squeeze in at least a half day of fishing. The Provo is a great river of you have a few hours to fling feathers. It gets its share of anglers, but I’ve never had a negative experience. Everyone I’ve met has been respectful, friendly, and helpful. Caddis, midges, and Baetis should be hatching, along with terrestrials. Scuds and cress bugs are critical patterns to have. Don’t forget Strawberry Reservoir is only 1.5 hours away and there are some monster cutthroat that will be cruising the shoreline, looking for anything they can fit in their mouths.

Thanks for the fly suggestions. I’ll google strawberry reservoir.

stenacron

Reaction score
So I’ll be in Salt Lake City, Utah the first week of June for work and I’ve added a day at the end for some fishing. I will have all day Thursday and the morning of Friday to fish. I was thinking of hitting the upper Provo the first morning to catch some wild cutthroat, never caught one of those before, then check out mirror lake for lunch and finish up on the middle Provo in the afternoon and evening looking for bigger brown trout. Then maybe hitting Mill Creek Friday morning. Would you guys recommend something else instead and also what can I expect? Crowded, water levels that time of year, what types of flys do you all use out there? This will be my first time in Utah.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Upper Provo is a freestone river subject to snowmelt/runoff from the western Uintas Mountains. Typically the upper Provo (sections open to the public) start to calm down and get "fishable" around the 3rd week in June.

Likewise with Mirror Lake... sits at 10,000 feet ASL and most years the access road to the lake is snowed shut until mid June (at least). In fact my first summer living in Utah we took a ride to Mirror Lake on June 1st and there were people still ice fishing on it!

Mill Creek is nice for hiking, but recently the recipient of a cutthroat reintroduction program.. phase 1 for this program includes poisoning the entire stream by the way, so I'm not sure what you will find there these days.

Over the past few years I have transformed from a stream/river angler to a stillwater version. For a number of reasons I prefer lakes to flowing waters for chasing trout. What I typically do is focus on the lakes between 6000-7500 feet until mid/late June as this is prime time for those bodies of water. As these lakes start to really warm up in July I then turn my focus to the alpine lakes in the backcountry. This is a just a general guideline and there is an area of overlap (some alpine lakes will be accessible by mid June... but many trails will still have snow to negotiate).

The middle and lower sections of both the Provo and Weber Rivers may be your best bet as all four segments are tailwaters regulated by large reservoirs. Must keep an eye on the flows however, as demands for agricultural purposes dictate the releases. All four sections have strong brown trout populations... lower Provo has about 60/40 browns to rainbows, with some large specimens in the latter. The lower Weber has a decent Cutthroat population and also receives stocked rainbows. Access is tricky and you should check with local fly shops before venturing off. Early June is prime caddis season and maybe even the start of PMDs. Being tailwaters though midges, scuds/sows, and Baetis (nymphs) are always available.

If looking strictly to check Cutthroat Trout off your list... Little Dell Reservoir (15-20 minutes from SLC) has a thriving population of native Bonneville Cuttroat Trout. It fishes well from shore/wading in the upper 1/3 of the lake. Chironomids will still be hatching, but the Callibaetis will be coming into focus at that time. Denny Richards A.P. Emerger or Callibaetis Nymph will keep you busy mid morning to noon.

Early June is good at Strawberry as well and you'll have a genuine shot at large Cutt's and Rainbows there. That one could be a little tougher from shore, but it depends on where you go. Check with local fly shops and have them recommend something. It is a massive lake about 1:30 to 2:00 hours from SLC, depending on what part you end up fishing.

Middle sections of Provo and/or Weber Rivers will be easiest to access from an out-of-towner as both have a lot of public water; however, keep an eye on the flows. Once running at seasonal high, they stay that way until September and a lot of weight is needed to reach the fish for nymphing. Google "provo river bounce technique" for an interesting solution to this problem.

If looking further afield... the Green River below Flaming Gorge Reservoir is about a 4-hr drive from SLC.

Fish Tech Outfitters is my fly shop of choice in the area. Ask for Sam or Mickey to steer you in a good direction.

Last edited:

gfiad

Reaction score
Upper Provo is a freestone river subject to snowmelt/runoff from the western Uintas Mountains. Typically the upper Provo (sections open to the public) start to calm down and get "fishable" around the 3rd week in June.

Likewise with Mirror Lake... sits at 10,000 feet ASL and most years the access road to the lake is snowed shut until mid June (at least). In fact my first summer living in Utah we took a ride to Mirror Lake on June 1st and there were people still ice fishing on it!

Mill Creek is nice for hiking, but recently the recipient of a cutthroat reintroduction program.. phase 1 for this program includes poisoning the entire stream by the way, so I'm not sure what you will find there these days.

Over the past few years I have transformed from a stream/river angler to a stillwater version. For a number of reasons I prefer lakes to flowing waters for chasing trout. What I typically do is focus on the lakes between 6000-7500 feet until mid/late June as this is prime time for those bodies of water. As these lakes start to really warm up in July I then turn my focus to the alpine lakes in the backcountry. This is a just a general guideline and there is an area of overlap (some alpine lakes will be accessible by mid June... but many trails will still have snow to negotiate).

The middle and lower sections of both the Provo and Weber Rivers may be your best bet as all four segments are tailwaters regulated by large reservoirs. Must keep an eye on the flows however, as demands for agricultural purposes dictate the releases. All four sections have strong brown trout populations... lower Provo has about 60/40 browns to rainbows, with some large specimens in the latter. The lower Weber has a decent Cutthroat population and also receives stocked rainbows. Access is tricky and you should check with local fly shops before venturing off. Early June is prime caddis season and maybe even the start of PMDs. Being tailwaters though midges, scuds/sows, and Baetis (nymphs) are always available.

If looking strictly to check Cutthroat Trout off your list... Little Dell Reservoir (15-20 minutes from SLC) has a thriving population of native Bonneville Cuttroat Trout. It fishes well from shore/wading in the upper 1/3 of the lake. Chironomids will still be hatching, but the Callibaetis will be coming into focus at that time. Denny Richards A.P. Emerger or Callibaetis Nymph will keep you busy mid morning to noon.

Early June is good at Strawberry as well and you'll have a genuine shot at large Cutt's and Rainbows there. That one could be a little tougher from shore, but it depends on where you go. Check with local fly shops and have them recommend something. It is a massive lake about 1:30 to 2:00 hours from SLC, depending on what part you end up fishing.

Middle sections of Provo and/or Weber Rivers will be easiest to access from an out-of-towner as both have a lot of public water; however, keep an eye on the flows. Once running at seasonal high, they stay that way until September and a lot of weight is needed to reach the fish for nymphing. Google "provo river bounce technique" for an interesting solution to this problem.

If looking further afield... the Green River below Flaming Gorge Reservoir is about a 4-hr drive from SLC.

Fish Tech Outfitters is my fly shop of choice in the area. Ask for Sam or Mickey to steer you in a good direction.
Wow, this is awesome! Thanks for the info. I’m a little bummed out about the upper Provo and mirror lake. Little dell sounds like a good solution to check cutthroats off the list. We just don’t have them on the east coast.

I will hit up Fish Tech Outfitters my first day there.

teardrop

Reaction score
Wow, this is awesome! Thanks for the info. I’m a little bummed out about the upper Provo and mirror lake. Little dell sounds like a good solution to check cutthroats off the list. We just don’t have them on the east coast.

If time permits the green below flaming gorge would be my choice. I fished it once many years ago and it was great! Beautiful river and great fishing.

stenacron

Reaction score

Route 150 (aka Mirror Lake Highway) usually opens by Memorial Day weekend... is closes seasonally based on snowfall. This was a fairly light winter as far as snowpack goes in the Uintas, so I can't see any reason it won't be open 1st week in June. It is a spectacular drive up and over 10,000 feet... this being your first time to Utah, I would highly recommend it for a scenic drive. You could drive to Mirror Lake, bang a u-turn and get back to the Valley in about 3 hrs, but there is so much to see you will pack on more time for sure. You can do a loop as well... drive 150 all the way through to Evanston, WY... hop on I-80 west back to the Valley (longer, but a nice drive).

These two pics are from Memorial Day weekend 2015... ice just coming off Trial Lake and a shot of Bald Mountain:

I'll keep an ear/eye out for reports to see if things are opening up earlier than normal up there and give you a head's up.

Regarding the Cutthroat Trout...

Average Cutt from upper Provo River:

Average Cutt from Little Dell:

Average Cutt from Strawberry Reservoir:

There are other places to catch them within reach of Salt Lake City, but 1st week in June... Little Dell will be your best bet with Strawberry a close 2nd (and trophy potential).

stenacron

Reaction score
All States USGS web sites are normally updated (automatically) every hour so you really are looking at 'real time' info.
As is the case for 3 of the 4 river segments I mentioned above. Here are the gauges that I watch for the middle/lower sections of the Weber & Provo Rivers...

Middle Provo: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/...065,00060,72020,00010,00095,00400,00300,63680

Lower Provo (Deer Cr. Reservoir outflow): https://www.cbrfc.noaa.gov/river/station/flowplot/flowplot.cgi?DCRU1

Middle Weber: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/...065,00060,72020,00010,00095,00400,00300,63680

Lower Weber: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/...065,00060,72020,00010,00095,00400,00300,63680

gfiad

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the info, I really appreciate it. Looks like I have plenty of options now. I’m pretty sure I will be going to dell reservoir and the middle Provo if the flow is ok. Hopefully the road to Mirror lake is open, I was really looking forward to going there.

About the Dell reservoir, I have had zero luck with trout in Stillwater. What’s the best technique? Any tips on Stillwater fishing for trout would be much appreciated.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Gfiad

I'm not a stillwater expert by a long shot, but you can have success fishing chironomids, scuds, blood worms and balanced leeches under and indicator. Not my favorite way to fish stillwater's (lack of patience), but it is incredibly effective. I prefer an intermediate or full sinking line and a slow retrieve, that way it keeps me busy and I don't get bored.

stenacron

Reaction score
About the Dell reservoir, I have had zero luck with trout in Stillwater. What’s the best technique? Any tips on Stillwater fishing for trout would be much appreciated.
Stillwater trout is a different ballgame to be sure. Being from PA I knew nothing about fly fishing lakes and reservoirs for trout, but since moving to Utah it has become a favorite of mine.

Like Larry mentioned chironomids will serve you well early on, but the hatch starts to weaken a bit as the waters warm and other food items become more prominent (mayflies, damsels, scuds, shrimp, etc.).

My favorite hatch is the Callibaetis mayfly - a stillwater specialty. 1st week in June at Little Dell they should come off between 9:00a-11:00a, depending on temps and wind/wave activity (they don't like big surf). If you see THESE riding the surface, you can be sure the trout are snatching the struggling nymphs within 6" of the surface:

My favorite fly before/during the hatch is Denny Rickards' Callibaetis Nymph. Fish a floating line, 12-14 foot leader, make a nice long cast and at first countdown between 10-20 before starting your retrieve. Change it up until you find what they want. Short (4-6") strip with a 4-count pause is a good start. As the flies appear on the surface I start the retrieve immediately using a s - l - o -w hand/wrist retrieve. They smash it. You'll see the boil and feel the take most times.

Two more flies I like a lot up there are Denny's A.P. Emerger and one I call the Prego Scud. The scud especially fishes great at dawn.

gfiad

Reaction score
Looks like I need to pick up some flys when I get there. I’ve never heard of these flys before. Thanks again. Can’t wait to see and fish Utah!

stenacron

Reaction score
Looks like I need to pick up some flys when I get there. I’ve never heard of these flys before. Thanks again. Can’t wait to see and fish Utah!

I doubt you will find them in any flyshops... tying your own, or (perhaps) ordering on line are probably your best options.

stenacron

Reaction score
I mentioned the Provo Bounce Rig in a previous reply. One thing I was not prepared for when moving out west is tailwater rivers managed for agricultural purposes. Common in summer is for river flows to be 4-5 times the fall/winter/spring volume. The fish are there though and they are holding tight to the bottom and feeding on tiny nymphs. The Bounce Rig is the engineered solution to catch these fish... it ain't pretty... it ain't even really fly fishing (more like lob fishing)... but it does work under adverse conditions. May want to have one tied up and stashed away if it turns out the local rivers are your only option.

NOTE: You cannot cast this rig in a conventional method (see article for technique).

Here's what the rig looks like:

Here's an article on the subject written by local guide Larry Tullis (and the creator of the Bounce Rig): http://www.flyfisherman.com/featured/bounce-nymphing/