1st King on a fly...

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
A good fishing friend invited me along on a trip to the Pere Marquette here in MI. Iv'e never fished for Kings with a flyrod, have fished for them at the pier heads tossing spoons and trolled for them on the Big Lakes. We were fishing the flies only reach of the PM, near the Green Cabin Access; we had to hike quite aways upriver to get away from the crowds. Long story short, I was able to hook and land my first Lake Michigan King Salmon on my 8 wt.

I ended my first day with 3 fish on and landed 2. My second day was a repeat of the first. Kings put up an awesome fight, and getting one landed on a flyrod is tough...

Dan

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dan: Congrats on the fine looking King! You're right, the Kings will put up on heck of a fight on a fly rod!

Larry

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
Congrats! I landed my first two Kings this past Saturday fishing the Lake Michigan tribs on the Western Side in Wisconsin. I have had a number of them on over the past couple of weeks - not many - and lost them all. I managed to land two out of three on Saturday and I have to tell you I was more than pumped! The first one was definitely an older fish - big but didn't smoke the reel like I'd hoped and like the one's that I had lost in the past few weeks. But that second one :surprise: Yea baby!!!

What a blast. Also on my new eight weight.

Can't wait for some rain here. We need it so bad to get these rivers running.

Cheers and congrats!

Mike.

cattech89

Reaction score
Great photos Dan, Congratulations! I hope to break in my new 9wt in a couple of weeks. Hopefully Ill have pictures that are as successful. :D

O

okuma

Nice looking fish Dan. Reminds me of sammie fishing on the Salmon River. and Catt....don't say break. had that happen on a muskie. really swelled my thumb

yatahey

Reaction score
Way to go Dan that is a beautiful fish. It was worth the extra walk to get away from the mob wasn't it?

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Congrats, Dan. They are strong fish. How are the legs feeling? Did you have to chase your fish down?
No, this one didn't make me chase him to far fortunately; the water was getting a little deep when he decided to run back up toward me...Soo the legs felt good, but he definitely gave my shoulders a work out...:D

Way to go Dan that is a beautiful fish. It was worth the extra walk to get away from the mob wasn't it?

Yat, it's always worth the extra walking to get into some more open spaces...:D

Dan

flytyer56

Reaction score
Congrats on your 1st king on the fly rod, Dan. The PM is a beautiful river. When I'm up we usually fight the crowds at clay banks. Still have a ball though.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Congratulations Dan!!:thumbsup:
I'm assuming the 8 is your 'switch rod'? If so....way to get the good fish karma going!

futuramille

Reaction score
If work loads ever allow me a few days in a row so I can get out of the south, this is a target worth getting to, hiring a good guide and having a go at.

Congratulations!