October Caddis?

mlwebb

Reaction score
I have been looking for some patterns to tie for october caddis. I've tried a couple elk hair caddis, basically an orange body with deer/elk overwing, with or without palmered hackle, and some folks here use a stimulator, but wondering about what the trout are eating.
I was up on the McKenzie (at Greenwood), and saw a number of adult caddis flying around. Didn't have a net, and they were too quick for me to catch. Big suckers, wings folded on the rock about 1 1/2 inches long. Moth or Butterfly like when flying. I gather that what is happening is the larva, having sequestered themselves in their rocky little cases for a couple months, have emerged, swum for shore or rock (pupa?), climbed out, broke out of their translucent pupa cases, fluffed their wings and are now happily flying around. What are trout eating? The pupa swimming?, stillborn/crippled adults?, or windblown adults?

I didn't get any takers last night, but they might have been distracted by the Chinook salmon that were hurling themselves in the air. Kinda hard to concentrate on tying a fly on when a 24-30 inch salmon is getting 12" of air 30 feet in front of you. Guess they were happy to be back. Didn't see any steelhead, though they are there somewhere.

Anyone have a favorite October Caddis pattern?
thanks,
Michael

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
mlwebb-

Fish can be on the larvae and pupae too during the October Caddis hatch, so it would be good to have some of those, and some drowned adults couldn't hurt . Dropping a pupa off a dry can also be a good thing. The females will skitter around on the surface dropping eggs, so, in addition to the EHC and Stimi's, you might want to add a skating steelhead pattern too, since they're around, you might want the stronger iron of a salmon hook.

"Nymphs" imitating the larvae after they've eaten their way out of cases:

Welcome to the Online Fly Tyer and this one:

October Caddis

Pupa I would want both weighted and unweighted versions:
See Han’s Weilenmann’s nymph above, and modification for pupa. You could also use a LaFontaine’s Deep Pupa weighted with a black bead head and Emergent Sparkle Pupa (Orange body, brown head size 4-6) You can google for patterns, but here’s an easy OC variation:

Virtual Flybox :: Patterns :: October Emergent Caddis Pupa

Tabou Caddis, tie with Orange body, brown head for OC in larger sizes 4-6
The Tabou Caddis Emerger - Simplistic Buggyness Using Two Materials - Global FlyFisher

Dry:
X Caddis 6-10 google
Stimulator 6-10 google
And for a steelhead version of an October Caddis Skater (crystal caddis) 4-6
Surface Flies for Steelhead by Dennis Dickson

Wet 4-8
LaFontaine’s Diving Caddis orange body brown head 4-8 (google)

Hope this helps, it's a great hatch to fish!

peregrines

mlwebb

Reaction score
thanks both of you, that should keep me busy for a couple nights until I get back to the river.
The egg sack is an interesting idea, and that's a very pretty fly. And peregrines thanks for the links and patterns, I'll try tying a few.
Michael

Reaction score
What are trout eating? The pupa swimming?, stillborn/crippled adults?, or windblown adults?
Anyone have a favorite October Caddis pattern?
thanks,
Michael
Michael,

There are many many good patterns for october caddis, just do a search online for them and visit some of the bigger online fly shops then search for october or giant caddis or Dicosmoecus. Places, like the fly shop THE FLY SHOP and October Caddis Hatches have some great patterns. Easy substitutes are the sofa pillow or stimulator in orange size 4-6.

The largest SRC I ever caught was on an october caddis wing-up skater tied on a size 4 long shank down-eye hook (I don't remember the exact model #/maker). Drifted it right over where I had seen the trout sipping for more than an hour as I worked my way down the pool. He ended up being 24" and a little more than 5 1/2 pounds. this was the last weekend of Septembet 2005 on the Main Fork of the Stillaguamish in Snohomish County Washington.

My absolute favorite go-to fall fly would be the tied back caddis which is an october caddis variant with a very thick wing tied back at the beginning of the hook bend. I don't know why but this profile seems to be preferred among trout of the freestone streams in western washington. There is an example of it on the flyfishusa.com page I mentioned previously.

As for pattern/timing if you are seeing adults use adult patterns, if you are seeing pupae emerging use any of the patterns and just see what works.

My favorite pupae pattern is a woven wool yarn pattern that does a great job of imitating the darker cross-hatched brown orange pattern I see a lot in Western Washington.

Good luck and enjoy, this should be the prime time for Oct. Caddis action!

webrx

Reaction score
I know this thread is a year old, but it applies for this time of year here in Northern Nevada. I was wondering...

1. Anyone have a good tied back caddis recipe?

2. Anyone think/have a favorite October caddis recipe other then the tied back?

3. I found this link using Antron Yarn and something else, maybe it it two different colors of Antron - very realistic looking fly. Any ideas from the tiers on how to tie this one?

Thanks

Dave

BigCliff

Reaction score
I would definitely fish the ESP dead drift during the emergence and swing some diving caddis as well. A great combo in the early stages (pre-emergence) of the hatch would be a weighted caddis pupa on point and a diving caddis as a dropper. Drift it through runs and make sure to do the Leisenring Lift at the end of the drift. More than any other bug, trout will key in on Caddis moving towards the surface and they will hit those big critters HARD.

Hang on, for real.

webrx

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips Cliff - Cliff ESP - is that the egg sack pupa? if I had ESP I would know where the fish are :) kidding - can you elaborate - my acronyms are not working for me tonight - and if I got it right (guessed) do you have a recipe or picture of one?

Jimmie - nice link to a lot of nice flies - I tied a couple of the red fox squirrel nymphs up and will give them a shot.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips Cliff - Cliff ESP - is that the egg sack pupa? if I had ESP I would know where the fish are :) kidding - can you elaborate - my acronyms are not working for me tonight - and if I got it right (guessed) do you have a recipe or picture of one?

Jimmie - nice link to a lot of nice flies - I tied a couple of the red fox squirrel nymphs up and will give them a shot.
ESP= LaFontaine's Emergent Sparkle Pupa I like to grease it up and fish it in the film behind a stimulator, using the stimmie as an indicator that can draw boisterous strikes as well

webrx

Reaction score
Ah, thanks Cliff.

I hooked into a monster last night using an october caddis that I had purchased last year from cabellas' (a great big ugly fly). I didn't get him landed as I was in deep water, no where to go and he stripped me down to nothing, ran back at me, and then turned around and snapped me off.

I have never had a fish take so much line so fast - at least I know where he is now.