Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is this a brown?

This fish was very dark with little to no color on it and no blue spots or red. Most of the fish caught in this river were either rainbows or cutthroats.

It looks like an odd colored brown to me, but I don't see very many of them. This would be one of only three browns this year for me, that is if it is one.

Anyone want to confirm or deny for me? Thanks!

And I am not squeezing this fish. It was oddly limp. I wondered if it had recently spawned. Which also made me think brown as it was fall but early.
    Cindy

Default Re: Is this a brown?

I think that is a Rainbow. I am going based on the purplish color down the middle of its flanks, and the shape and distribution of its spots. At the San Juan, we will Rainbows with quite a lot of variation in colors.

3. Likes cpiercem, ejsell liked this post

Yessir, looks like a Rainbow to me. Dark single colored speckles instead of rounder colored spots and the middle stripe. Have those here at the “Juan”

5. Likes cpiercem liked this post

Definitely not a brown.
    Mainline the blueline

7. Likes cpiercem liked this post

Definitely a rainbow or cuttbow, I lean towards it being a cuttbow.

9. Likes cpiercem liked this post

keep 'em wet...

Thanks! I appreciate the replies.

It was the large round spots on the cheeks that made me think it might have been a brown.

Rainbow fits in with others we caught in this creek.
    Cindy

Blog Entries

Rainbow. The rest of the sentence is to fill in the 10 character requirement. LOL
    Nice fish! Do you have anymore pictures of it lying in the dirt?
    As publicity increases so does the propensity of tripping over yards of mono attached to a Dipsey sinker.

13. Likes iv_wjb, cpiercem liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    keep 'em wet...
    I really debated on saying anything on this, but this kind of response is what eventually kills forums. It is actually a form of bullying, and people stop posting.

I know that some of you are very focused on never removing the fish from the water. That isn't a bad thing, but you can take it to extremes. I usually just lift the fish's head for a moment, but when my hubby was with me he wanted a picture with me in it. So we did a very fast "grip and grin". The fish was out of the water for about a second and a half. If you look at the picture you can see some of the water running off of my hands and the fish's fins. In fact he took the picture so fast that he whacked off my head, and didn't get the picture he wanted.

In the past I have done some volunteering and classes with fish biologists, and they have the fish out of water for much much longer, and they are not harmed by it. If at all possible I try and give the fish the best possible chance. The water in this high mountain stream was very cold. I know I was sitting in it in nylon pants so that I was over deep enough water for the fish. The fish was brought in quickly and was not stressed.

I appreciate your point of view, but you need to relax and enjoy life a bit. Please educate, rather than preach. I will do my pictures according to my conscience and allow you to do the same. I hope that I have not offended you as that was not my intent.

Thanks
    Cindy

Thanks for that, Cindy.
    Let's face it, the fish would be better off if we didn't hook it.
    But since that's what we do, we should handle it gently, and return it as soon as possible.
    Time out of water for trout isn't always as important as water temperature and the fight.

Regardless, let's all be supportive. This is a great forum.

16. Likes Ard, cpiercem, dennyk, City Rat liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast