Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  52
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bits of the Summer of 2018

Very well done Cindy, thank you for sharing your bits of summer!

Denny

This is another meadow that I fished on this stream. I was here in September.

I hiked in on a cow trail for about three fourths of a mile over the foothills. Frequently the trails on the hills above the creek bottoms are easier to navigate than down by the stream.

Speaking of which I want to say that I am so thankful for cows! I canít tell you how many times I use cow trails to get up into remote areas and especially to get through willows in the river bottoms.

This meadow didnít have much gradient and the stream was low and slow. I fish for about 20 minutes spooking every fish I saw. The fish inspected each fly minutely.

There were grasshoppers everywhere and the fish were gorging on them, yet I couldnít get them to take an imitation. I think I tried every variety of hopper you can imagine when I remembered a hopper I had tied last year. It was smaller, had the right colors, and used red floss for the back legs. I tied it on and at the next hole I sat and watch the fish taking one hopper after another. I timed my cast for just after he took the last hopper. Low and behold he came back and slammed my humble offering. Then he was racing for the willow roots. All I could do was hang on and try to turn him. At last I managed to land him. The fish grow fast and exceptionally fat on hoppers!

Fish like this one are part of the reason I love remote meadows. You never know what you will get.
    Cindy

3. Likes ifitswims, mcnerney, stenacron liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by cpiercem View Post
    This is another meadow that I fished on this stream. I was here in September.

I hiked in on a cow trail for about three fourths of a mile over the foothills. Frequently the trails on the hills above the creek bottoms are easier to navigate than down by the stream.

Speaking of which I want to say that I am so thankful for cows! I can’t tell you how many times I use cow trails to get up into remote areas and especially to get through willows in the river bottoms.

This meadow didn’t have much gradient and the stream was low and slow. I fish for about 20 minutes spooking every fish I saw. The fish inspected each fly minutely.

There were grasshoppers everywhere and the fish were gorging on them, yet I couldn’t get them to take an imitation. I think I tried every variety of hopper you can imagine when I remembered a hopper I had tied last year. It was smaller, had the right colors, and used red floss for the back legs. I tied it on and at the next hole I sat and watch the fish taking one hopper after another. I timed my cast for just after he took the last hopper. Low and behold he came back and slammed my humble offering. Then he was racing for the willow roots. All I could do was hang on and try to turn him. At last I managed to land him. The fish grow fast and exceptionally fat on hoppers!

Fish like this one are part of the reason I love remote meadows. You never know what you will get.

Stop it, you're killing me!

That is a nice fish right there. Well done.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

5. Likes mcnerney, cpiercem liked this post

This little meadow stream isn’t remote. All of its good meadow section is within 100yds of a road. It is overlooked because it’s small and narrow, but when I walked up to it, I found that it was surprisingly deep with undercut banks. I didn’t see anyone else fish it in the three days I was in this area. It was easy casting, but I really needed to walk softly and stay low as there were few bushes along its banks,and the fish were skittish.

Such a gorgeous fun little stream! It had several larger fish in it that I spooked and a couple that I broke off, but at least I got to see them. The ones I did catch were smaller but just as beautiful.

Last edited by cpiercem; 10-18-2018 at 05:07 PM.
    Cindy

7. Likes ifitswims, mcnerney, rc51sport liked this post

Quote: "I know that it is frustrating to not know where a fishing post is from. Sometimes my curiosity drives me nuts if I don't at least know the general area."

Thanks for sharing images of your adventures. It just goes to show what research, planning, and exploration can yield and thats half the fun. On our annual extended road trip S&S and I always explore for new waters to fish. Sometimes we score and sometimes not, regardless, it's always worth the adventure.

9. Likes cpiercem liked this post

Thanks so much for the tips! Once school is out in early June (I'm a high school teacher) I'm heading out that way (doing a ten day, Baja mangrove fly trip first) and I will seek out some of those types of set ups. This is exactly the type of fly fishing that I enjoy!

I'm assuming those streams run through National Forest?

Quote Originally Posted by cpiercem View Post
    This little meadow stream isn’t remote. All of its good meadow section is within 100yds of a road. It is overlooked because it’s small and narrow, but when I walked up to it, I found that it was surprisingly deep with undercut banks. I didn’t see anyone else fish it in the three days I was in this area. It was easy casting, but I really needed to walk softly and stay low as there were few bushes along its banks,and the fish were skittish.

Such a gorgeous fun little stream! It had several larger fish in it that I spooked and a couple that I broke off, but at least I got to see them. The ones I did catch were smaller but just as beautiful.

Those fish are beautiful - I never stopped being amazed with what might be pulled out of a tiny bit of water!!!!

Ok - so now I'm really whipped up to a froth on this. So lemme know if this is the correct general plan:

1. Find dirt road (preferably in national forest/blm land for access) in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho.
    2. Look for "small" streams that run into or next to the dirt road... especially for those with meadow sections.
    3. Sit in California for 8 months dreaming about fishing those spots.... go crazy.

I'm so fired up for this!

12. Likes mcnerney, cpiercem liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by conkso View Post
    Thanks so much for the tips! Once school is out in early June (I'm a high school teacher) I'm heading out that way (doing a ten day, Baja mangrove fly trip first) and I will seek out some of those types of set ups. This is exactly the type of fly fishing that I enjoy!

I'm assuming those streams run through National Forest?
    Yes, everything I have shown is in National Forest. Remember: Google Earth is your friend! Pick an area and look at the streams with Google Earth. Even if you don't find big big fish, you will have fun!
    Cindy

14. Thanks proheli thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12