Short visit to the South Fork of the Holston VA

gfiad

Reaction score
Was driving down to GA this weekend so I planned a quick stop at the South Fork of the Holston River near Sugar Grove VA. Didn’t get a chance to catch some of the bigger browns they have lurking there but I did catch about 10 beautiful wild and colorful rainbows. What a beautiful area and river.

Started out with a double nymph rig and only caught one small rainbow in an hour or so. Switched to a royal humpy and got lots of swipes at it but I think it was too big so I switched to a small caddis fly and it was on! Caught almost all the fish on it throwing the fly along the banks on the deeper runs and letting it drift below the overhanging trees. It was tough getting the fly in position with all the trees and plants along the banks and the different currents meant I had to get in close to get a good drift but it was fun watching these beauties rise to a dry.

The last picture is near the hatchery where the larger trout are supposed to be. Tried woolly buggers, nymphs, and dries with no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk