Losing fish on nymph rigs right before netting

LandoLando

Reaction score
This weekend I lost four fish right before netting on nymph rigs, I haven't nymphed much this year until this weekend, so maybe I'm rusty, but what are some best practices for not letting them off when they're almost in. None of the fish were on the reel, I was stripping them in and when I lifted my rod tip up to bring them to the surface they got off before I got them in the net. I was using a Provo river bounce rig with an size 18 attractor on 4x tippet and a size 20 midge and split shot on 6x.

I got three in the net with nothing different so I was thinking maybe I wasn't always setting the hook quite well enough.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Sounds like you’re ripping the hook out by adding the extra leverage to “lift them” to the surface. Be gentle.
Was this in Stillwater?
I’ve never used a rig like that in a lake before.

LandoLando

Reaction score
No, it was not Stillwater, meant to post this in cold water. This was on the Provo river. I wasn't lifting the rod up vertical, I was pulling it back behind me at a 45 or so. My rig is 9 ft or so long so I have to lift it bit to get the fish close enough to net.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to guess that they didn't just come loose like pieces of snagged drift wood. I'm thinking that there may have been some flopping and last minute struggling that resulted in the hook coming loose. Maybe, maybe not but I'll tell you how I learned to avoid loosing fish at the moment of truth.

Fish see you and they see the net coming. There are many reasons for a fish to make one last second surge when they see what lies in store for them. With a small trout I don't sweat it unless the fish is caught by a client, in that case I handle a 12 inch fish as if it were a 28 inch fish. I go low. If I want a good calm finish I will sit right flat on my butt or kneel in deeper water so that I am right down at the water level and not hovering over the poor terrified creature when I slide the net under it.

I can't guarantee that every fish will just slide into the net like it is asleep but I find that I have had way fewer make a mad dash because they saw me looming over them. If you don't try it you'll never know. I do this every single time when I realize I may be close to breaking the 30 inch mark and I haven't had one get nuts and escape yet.

Get low.

If your net has a long handle better yet. Also get the net in the water and then bring the fish over it. Don't try lifting the fish then moving the net to the fish. They see it coming - the line is very tight - they flop - they are gone.

bocianka1

Reaction score
Also get the net in the water and then bring the fish over it. Don't try lifting the fish then moving the net to the fish.
Ive only recently started carrying a net so i havent had time to build up bad habits yet.

Putting the net down first, that's something I wouldn't have thought of. Good tip. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome, I do hope the technique helps you.

I've been doing it for myself since the early 90's, it took that long to figure out what should have been obvious to me for the previous 20 years. Once I moved here for good I got to see some real shows while people tried to net fish for others. I once saw 4 man (honest) four of them, all with those huge salmon nets trying to net a rather red king salmon of about 22 pounds for an angler.

It started with just one man with a net but each time he tried to approach the fish it (the fish) used the current to go farther down stream. There was a lot of splashing and thrashing as the net man - the fish and the guy who had it hooked moved to the tail of the run. Downstream in the next pool / run there were several fishermen who when they saw what was coming their way grabbed up their nets and moved up into the riffle water where the fish - net man and angler were coming down.

Now try to imagine this is happening on some decent size water, maybe 100 feet wide and the riffle section is probably 200 foot long from the tail of the run where the fish was hooked to the top of the next deeper spot...…….. So the 3 guys from down stream moved up into the riffs and the angler and his buddy were slip sliding their way down. Each time the angler had the fish stopped and facing upstream the net man would go after it with that big net. Each time he did the fish would make a lunge away and then continuing downstream from them. The downstream team had formed a sort of net gauntlet across the riffle water and what ensued was a regular circus.

I swear, I sat in my boat almost 100 yards above this and on the opposite side of the river and watched through my Zeiss 10X25 binoculars. This went on long enough that I was feeding my German Shepherd jerky and had opened a beer for myself.

Each time they went after the fish it used what it had left to evade the men & nets. Finally they corralled the fish in a regular circle of death and someone got it bagged. There was much hooting and hollering and soon the happy sport and his fish were on the way upstream. I have to tell you that there is no way the fella knew much about these fish because it was way darker than I ever would consider keeping...…….. He did and he walked all the way up until passing directly across from where I sat only 100 feet away, that's how I can guess the size of the fish. The fish had been hooked with what looked like a Blue Fox Vibrex #5 with a big treble hook on braided line so there was little chance of it coming loose. You trout fishermen on the other hand are using tiny, sometimes barbless hooks and light tippets so keeping fish as calm as possible is in everyone's best interest if you intend to actually touch them.

I tell these stories not to say that I know best. I tell them and offer my own techniques in an effort to share what I have witnessed over the years of angling and hope others may be able to use these things. Not everyone has had the opportunity or means to spend a large part of their life just hanging around streams and rivers so I try to share what may be helpful.

Do I get every fish into the net bag? No, there are some who just get away. Id do what I can for people, I try hard not to be the reason that a fish is lost at the moment of truth but you can't win them all. I do believe that my willingness to go low, to get right down to water lever and have the angler guide the fishes to the net allows for a lot more successes than failures.

LandoLando

Reaction score
I'm going to guess that they didn't just come loose like pieces of snagged drift wood. I'm thinking that there may have been some flopping and last minute struggling that resulted in the hook coming loose. Maybe, maybe not but I'll tell you how I learned to avoid loosing fish at the moment of truth.

Fish see you and they see the net coming. There are many reasons for a fish to make one last second surge when they see what lies in store for them. With a small trout I don't sweat it unless the fish is caught by a client, in that case I handle a 12 inch fish as if it were a 28 inch fish. I go low. If I want a good calm finish I will sit right flat on my butt or kneel in deeper water so that I am right down at the water level and not hovering over the poor terrified creature when I slide the net under it.

I can't guarantee that every fish will just slide into the net like it is asleep but I find that I have had way fewer make a mad dash because they saw me looming over them. If you don't try it you'll never know. I do this every single time when I realize I may be close to breaking the 30 inch mark and I haven't had one get nuts and escape yet.

Get low.

If your net has a long handle better yet. Also get the net in the water and then bring the fish over it. Don't try lifting the fish then moving the net to the fish. They see it coming - the line is very tight - they flop - they are gone.
Right on the money. They wigged it at the last minute when the rod was about out of compliance and they got off. Very good advice I’ll try to be more aware of getting lower next time. Also, my net is pretty short. It’s an old nylon string net whichever is cause enough for me to upgrade to a newer, longer, more catch and release friendly net. Thanks!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Right on the money. They wigged it at the last minute when the rod was about out of compliance and they got off. Very good advice I’ll try to be more aware of getting lower next time. Also, my net is pretty short. It’s an old nylon string net whichever is cause enough for me to upgrade to a newer, longer, more catch and release friendly net. Thanks!
I'm always happy when someone agrees with something I offer, thank you :)

My net can be a hassle even though I'm tall, it is a Nomad / Fishpond Boat Net with a 4 foot length. I have the Guide model also but when I get hold of something over 2 foot they don't fit easy. Carrying it takes getting used to, I use one of the Simms Neoprene Belts on my waders and slip the handle down the back under the belt. It is hard when you are alone but you develop technique and the challenge becomes getting the fish over the net. As I age it also gets harder getting up once I have one bagged but they seldom bolt this way so I continue doing it.

AnglerX

Reaction score
How long of a leader are you using? Do you have a little fly line out the tip of your rod or are you stripping in where your leader goes back into your guides? When fishing long, euronymphing rigs with leaders of 15-20’, it can get a little tricky at times.

reels

Reaction score
Some good info in this thread... I'll just add my $0.02.

Maybe I missed it, but I'm assuming the hook is coming out of the fish's mouth rather than you tippet breaking?
Assuming that's the case, you might also ensure your hooks are sharp. Carry a sharpener file and touch them up as needed.
Also in general I've had better hook-ups when setting the hook in a backwards motion (down stream) rather than upwards.
Finally when going in for the scoop, try to keep the fish's head out of water as it will de-power the fish. If the fish has their head in the water they are oriented and can make another run.

The above things have helped me get more fish in the net.

flav

Reaction score
Losing 4 fish on one day is hardly a cause for concern, we all go through losing streaks, and that hardly constitutes as a streak. Suddenly changing your whole fish fighting and netting approach is probably a little extreme, especially if you weren't losing fish previously. It could be something as simple as a dull hook.

jonbo

Reaction score
I lose a lot to fish, too, at the net, especially when using tiny hooks, midges and such. I believe it's because I try to bring them in "hot". I've gotten conscious of the idea that when you fight a fish to exhaustion you may have very well killed it even though it swims off under its own power. So I find myself trying to net a fish that really isn't completely tired out. Kind of hard to do. I guess I've developed a philosophy that if I lose it, oh well. That advice is good to try and do it very calmly with a still net. If I'm not careful I'll find myself snatching at it with the net. That usually doesn't work out.

I have learned that whenever I'm absolutely determined to land a fish, the thing to do is every time, the moment he starts to thrash, whether at the net or out a ways, let him run. He won't get off most likely if he's running. He will if he's thrashing or rolling. Then, of course, he goes airborn suddenly, and Ping!

AnglerX

Reaction score
I brought this up because I didn’t see anyone else address it. I’m not saying the leader or tippet is breaking. When the leader gets back in the guides, it’s like grabbing the leader when a fish is close. It’s much easier to pop the hook out in that scenario.

LandoLando

Reaction score
Some good info in this thread... I'll just add my $0.02.

Maybe I missed it, but I'm assuming the hook is coming out of the fish's mouth rather than you tippet breaking?
Assuming that's the case, you might also ensure your hooks are sharp. Carry a sharpener file and touch them up as needed.
Also in general I've had better hook-ups when setting the hook in a backwards motion (down stream) rather than upwards.
Finally when going in for the scoop, try to keep the fish's head out of water as it will de-power the fish. If the fish has their head in the water they are oriented and can make another run.

The above things have helped me get more fish in the net.
Yes that's correct, just coming off he hook not breaking tippet. That's a good point about keeping the fishes head above the water, I'll try to control that a little better.

How long of a leader are you using? Do you have a little fly line out the tip of your rod or are you stripping in where your leader goes back into your guides? When fishing long, euronymphing rigs with leaders of 15-20’, it can get a little tricky at times.

I brought this up because I didn’t see anyone else address it. I’m not saying the leader or tippet is breaking. When the leader gets back in the guides, it’s like grabbing the leader when a fish is close. It’s much easier to pop the hook out in that scenario.
My whole rig including the leader is usually less than 9 feet, some times up to 12 feet. I usually try to avoid getting the leader in my eyelets. I haven't tried euro nymphing yet, but I'm curious about it.

LandoLando

Reaction score
Losing 4 fish on one day is hardly a cause for concern, we all go through losing streaks, and that hardly constitutes as a streak. Suddenly changing your whole fish fighting and netting approach is probably a little extreme, especially if you weren't losing fish previously. It could be something as simple as a dull hook.
I'm pretty new to nymphing, so I wouldn't say changing my whole approach, more like trying to develop good habits before I get a chance to develop bad ones. A lot of good practices mentioned in this thread that was not very conscious of. Agreed, 4 lost fish isn't the worst day on the river.

I lose a lot to fish, too, at the net, especially when using tiny hooks, midges and such. I believe it's because I try to bring them in "hot". I've gotten conscious of the idea that when you fight a fish to exhaustion you may have very well killed it even though it swims off under its own power. So I find myself trying to net a fish that really isn't completely tired out. Kind of hard to do. I guess I've developed a philosophy that if I lose it, oh well. That advice is good to try and do it very calmly with a still net. If I'm not careful I'll find myself snatching at it with the net. That usually doesn't work out.

I have learned that whenever I'm absolutely determined to land a fish, the thing to do is every time, the moment he starts to thrash, whether at the net or out a ways, let him run. He won't get off most likely if he's running. He will if he's thrashing or rolling. Then, of course, he goes airborn suddenly, and Ping!
Yeah I don't typically let them run very far if I don't have to and I bring them in quick, before they are dog tired, so that probably is a factor.

kevind62

Reaction score
How long is your net from end to end? If you're using 9' + leader you probably have at least an extra 4' - 6' of tippet on the end of that. You don't realize that just before netting with a short net you are lifting the fish (we all know the "ninja pose" :D ) trying to get that last few inches, which incidentally is usually where they break off. It puts a lot of tension on the line so when the fish wiggles off he comes. I've switched to a longer handle net. I've switched to a Nomad mid length. It's a little over a foot longer than my other one which makes a huge difference when landing a fish alone while wading.

Reaction score
Lots of good ideas here, but as much as anything, I’m guessing it’s just the fact that you’re using a size 20 hook. Regarding reeling or not reeling the leader up into the eyelets, we had a guide once who insisted we real the leader up. His theory was you’ll lose more fish fooling around trying to reach the fish (because the leader’s so long) than you will by reeling the leader into the eyelets and then having the fish make a run and the knot catching & breaking off. Maybe he’s right, but I still don’t do,it!

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Didnt read all the posts but the minute I started reading "struggling", wiggling, with "not on reel" I would say that slack was introduced into the system. I'm willing to wager that was mentioned. I prefer fish coming off at the net or in the net without ever having to touch them. That to me is the pinnacle of catch, handling, release, and Keep'em Wet! That cold time of year is rapidly approaching too. The drier my hands, the better they feel, the longer I'll fish. Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

JW51

Reaction score
Didnt read all the posts but the minute I started reading "struggling", wiggling, with "not on reel" I would say that slack was introduced into the system. I'm willing to wager that was mentioned. I prefer fish coming off at the net or in the net without ever having to touch them. That to me is the pinnacle of catch, handling, release, and Keep'em Wet! That cold time of year is rapidly approaching too. The drier my hands, the better they feel, the longer I'll fish. Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Exactly; was just about to post this when ol' corn fed beat me to it; this is the perfect release; you have seen the fish and know how nice it is you never touch it. I realize younger fishers like to do more pics though.

ddb

Reaction score
Noone yet has asked about your rod action. So I will.

Modern fast action rods are wonders at casting tight loops but not ideal for fighting trout to net. Rigid rods often allow slack close in that magnify chances a wiggle or flop will unhook the critter.

I much prefer moderate to slow action rods that bend deep into the grip. Fiberglass rods in particular give me a way more flexible range in moving fish with extra forgiveness before locking up into total rigidity and the attendant leader break-offs or graphite snaps. This allows me to nudge the fish's head up and drop him into the net basket while keeping a very tight line to him. Scooping a fish from the tail is asking for trouble.

I see lots of guys barely bending their fast graphites with fish on and that allows them to rest and plot escapes.

ddb