Winter Fishing

wjlapier

Reaction score
So, looks like I get to do some fly fishing in my home waters during the winter. The river is open to catch and release only starting today until April next year. Something new. Last year this river was closed to fishing November 1 until June 2.

Tell me about fly fishing during the winter. I've never done it. Tell me about where you fly fish mostly during the winter and any advice you might have for me and maybe others.

A nice fish from today--

MarsB

Reaction score
I too am curious, having never fished through winter. Still fall here, but starting to get icy in the high country.
IMG_0710.jpg
IMG_0712.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG

JoJer

Reaction score
Look around on here for measures to take for icing in the guides: Loon ice-off paste, pam, etc. Dress for it: Layers, poly propylene or some of the new fangled base layers, fleece pants and jacket(s). Poly /wicking sox and room to wiggle your toes so you have air space inside your wading shoes. Check your local hatch charts, it's going to be midges. I like to wet my wading shoes at home, put them in a plastic bag on the floor of the car by the heater. They'll be more flexible so you can get them tight right off and not have to stop, get your hands wet adjusting them in the cold. If there is snow, your wet felt soles will stack layers of snow on the bottoms and make walking difficult. Rubber soles with cleats can be helpful.

You'll be amazed at how much water you can have all to your self. Much of my local water is at it's lowest flows in winter, you can see lots of features you never knew were there.

Even at low flows, a dunking in winter temps can be deadly. Fish with a friend if you can. A comfortable PFD and a wading staff is a good idea.

brownbass

Reaction score
In Missouri and I believe many rivers midges are the dominant food sources. you can also swing buggers and leeches, drift egg patterns but small seems to rule most days.

Bill

flytie09

Reaction score
Oh there are plenty of tips:

- Don't be afraid to sleep in. 10 AM to 3 PM can be some of the most productive times of the day.
- Layer up your core well.
- Good quality wool is key
- You want a wind stopping layer (rain jacket) as wind will blow right through wool.
- Be careful of ice accumulation in your eyelets. Clean it out often.
- Pam, Loon Ice Off Paste, Reel Magic, Chapstick......don't work too great. And require frequent reapplication. I don't bother with the stuff.
- Do not dunk your reel in the water
- Try to use a reel with sealed bearings.
- Target the deeper holes
- Midges, BWOs, and stoneflies are good starting points for insects to look for
- Bring some warm coffee with you
- Wear boots a size larger than you normally wear to allow for extra socks.
- Leave room in the toe area of your boots.....helps with circulation.
- Your feet, hands, nose, ears and chin are the first to get cold. Keep these areas dry and well covered.
- Bring several packs of hot hands
- Open up the hot hands packs on the way to the river to give them time to react and heat up.
- Wear 2x layers of socks....a thin undersock and a good quality wool sock. The wicking action to keep feet dry and the trapped air layers will help with insulation.
- If you fall in...get back to the truck/car ASAP
- Pack an extra set of clothes in case you do fall in.
- Bring a couple pair of gloves with you.
- Wool finglertipless gloves work well.
- Fold back mitten style add another layer of warmth.
- If you start to get cold. Get out of the water and try to warm yourself up. Jumping jacks. Put your hands in your pockets. Make sure you wiggle your toes and you maintain feeling in them. Losing sensation is scary.
- Try to not wade in to far or at all if possible.
- I swear by wool pants. Look for some Army / Navy military wool pants. They are awesome and cheap. Mine are German Infantry issue.......

You will note a lot of "keep warm"....if you get cold...it will make for a miserable time.

Enjoy the solitude......you will have your pick of the river in most cases.

flav

Reaction score
I love winter fly fishing in the PNW, especially on the dry side of the Cascades. The worst weather is usually December through January, but it's much milder than back east by a long shot, although freezing fog is pretty bad. I like to fish either tailwaters or spring creeks if I can because the water will be warmer and bugs are usually more plentiful, but when it's a bit warmer freestones can fish well too. I generally fish days when it's above freezing, which is pretty often, so I don't have to deal with ice in the guides except when I fish in shaded parts of some canyons.

I like winter because of less people, small bugs, and bankers hours. I generally fish about 11 to 3 in winter. That's when the water has warmed a little, bugs start to hatch, and fish will feed. Bugs hatch pretty much every day, but a cloudy day that's not too cold can bring out strong midge and baetis hatches that will bring an amazing number of fish to the surface. There's nothing like a deserted canyon in February with fish rising everwhere to midges, and the harder it snows the more the fish rise.

Like others said, layers, and wool are your friends. Cotton is your enemy, and bring extra clothes in case you fall in. Snow will sometimes build up on the bottom of felt soles, it hasn't happened to me often in Oregon, but some guys use rubber soles in winter. I try and not wade too deep and move often to keep my blood circulating. Standing in one spot till your feet go numb in a good way to get really sick, and makes wading very difficult and dangerous. I learned the hard way, and now I seldom wade deeper than my knees in winter and walk often.

Last edited:

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Whiskey! Yes.

Midges are the staple of a trout's diet. I fish them all year. BWOs can make an appearence on those warm overcast days. If you're lucky you might get a day with some surface action but typically dredging is your best option.

Wool! Cotton is the death fabric. Layers. No bright colors.

Do not dip your rod past the ferrule. It may freeze together. Do not dip your reel. It may freeze as well. I've lost several big fish on Taylor from this.

ChapStick for your lips and eyelets.

Hand warmers. I love putting them in my pockets.

Depending on snow, I have a XXL white button up shirt I can wear over my gear.

It's fun, quiet, humbling and don't tell your neighbors unless you want company. Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

dennyk

Reaction score
Me I have to wait for a day just above 33 degrees due to hand issues, but when I'm able to get out, mine are usually the only footprints in the snow. I have alot of fun winter trout fishing. I'm mainly using stonefly nymphs, single egg patterns, zebra midge nymphs and scuds.

As mentioned layering is the key and avoid cotton! The main issue I have is with my hands, I use a heavy wool fleece lined King of the Mountain muff with wind collars on both ends. Inside I put a couple air activated hand warmers. Stays nice and warm for about 6 hours (even though they are advertised to last 12 hours).

I always bring a rain shell zip up jacket with me for wind protection over my wool. I also carry a small towel with me to dry my hands off after releasing a fish.

Have Fun!

Denny

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
My accuracy has gotten better this year, but I still have trouble getting the fly into that little hole in the ice.

dillon

Reaction score
Winter trout fishing can provide a nice outing in relative solitude. I usually plan my outings around noon in anticipation of a BWO hatch. sometimes fish can be found sipping duns duns if the hatch is good. However, where I fish the hatch is not consistent, usually occurring on overcast days. Bright sunlight seems to shut them down. Warm days in February can trigger the March brown emergence which may continue on into April. Little black stones are also common on many streams and of course, the aforementioned ever present midge.

A word of conservation is important as rainbows may be spawning anywhere from December through the spring months. Wading is ill advised during this time in streams with wild and naive trout populations. Walking through spawning beds will obviously wreak havoc on the fragile spawn. If wading is required learn what the beds look like and where trout spawn. Fishing these areas is unethical and destructive. It's the reason why many streams are closed during the spawning period.

I do most of my Oregon stream fishing in the winter/spring months because I'm fishing Rocky Mountain waters in the summer. We have relatively mild winters here and areas of high sown activity are closed in some rivers. The metolious is a good example of this.

Last edited:

LandoLando

Reaction score
I love fishing in the winter, but I do struggle with cold hands. I recently started wearing 9mm nitrile gloves underneath my fingerless foldback fishing gloves and it really helps them not get soncold if they get wet. Hand warmers are key too.

flav

Reaction score
Good call Dillon, know what redds look like, what kind of water they're usually found in, don't wade in those areas, and move on if you're catching dark or colored up fish.

If your hands get cold when they get wet from handling fish consider using a dehooking tool. I use one all year, but it's especially useful in the winter. It's faster, and easier than using your hands or a net, and it's better for the fish.

ivory arrow

Reaction score
Keep a dish rag handy. I keep one in my wader pocket. Having something to dry your hands off makes for a much nicer day.

If you have the option, fish a tailwater. Temps are generally higher on a tailwater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennyk

Reaction score
I fished yesterday in 27 degree temps, which is cold for me. A couple things that helped, I picked up a pair of Simms Headwater fleece no finger gloves, not super warm, but better then nothing. Still had dexterity for tying knots, I normally don't like to fish with gloves on. Also Loon, Stanley's Ice Off Paste. I was out about 3 hours and only had to reapply it once.

Denny

Meadowlark

Reaction score
Here in East Texas the annual white bass runs provides huge fly fishing entertainment in Jan and Feb The whites make a spawning run in winter and will voraciously take flies like Clousers. Sinking tips are generally needed to get the flies down quickly.

Shown attached is the Sabine River white bass fly record at just over 3 pounds...loads of fun when not much else is happening in our local waters at that time of year.

Attachments

JoJer

Reaction score
I'm reading Nate Brumley's new book on winter dry fly fishing. He's really got the gospel on the subject from 58 years of experience. The book comes with a CD that provides video keyed to the book. Purchasing the book also earns you access to Nates blogs on his website, Welcome to Dry Fly Innovations!. This is THE source.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I was fortunate to have lived where the Heritage Waters were open year round for a large part of my life. Dead of winter is when you learn how to fish streamer patterns low and slow for results. It's also a good time to practice very little handling of fish and not removing them from the water. I still fish winter even here in Alaska but don't hoist any fish from the water.

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
It's Thanksgiving eve, while a large portion of the country is getting an artic blast, the air here is hovering around 70 degrees right now, it's dead calm, the water temp is in the mid to high fifites. We'll soon be switching from short sleeved casting shirts to long sleeves on the cooler days, but they should still be light, billowy and well vented, we suggest Columbia Bahama II's or Tommy Bahama's.

It's after labor day, so you can wear waders if you wish, but shorts, as long as they're not white are fine. Lace up wading boots will replace sticky rubber soled flip flops until March. You'll still need ice for your Yeti. Sunscreens a must, we suggest Banana Boat.

Flies, think green / olive, Rhyacophila & Blue Winged Olives. Speaking of which, I knew they were pitted, but I didn't find out until just recently that they pluck the wings off them just before stuffing them with Florina Peppers and sealing them in jars. Seems kind of over the top for such a small insect.

Anyway, those are some of the basics for winters here.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Dave