The Mop fly?

photoguy

Reaction score
A search didn't turn up anything on this fly so I thought I'd ask...

On a recent trip to the Farmington in CT, we stopped into the local fly shop as we always do to buy some 'local' flies and see if we can gain some local knowledge. We typically buy $20-$30 worth of flies as an in-kind trade for some local tips. The guy helping us picked out a bunch of different patterns (the usuals) including a 'Mop' fly which I'd never seen or heard about. With a big smile, the shop guy said 'Oh yeah...you gotta have one of these, they work great'. Essentially, it's a piece of mop material (as in floor cleaning mop) tied on a hook with some added weight- I thought MOP might be an acronym, but no it's a mop! My buddy bought 2, I bought one. On the river I promptly lost mine in a tree...oof... and my buddy set about fishing his. The shop told us to simply dead drift the fly. My buddy got a hit right away, though it was the only hit of the day for him.

On our return, I did a quick Google to learn a little more about the fly. I suppose it looks like some kind of generic bug larvae but it seems that there is a little controversy about it and it's use. I chalked it up to the 'traditional vs unorthodox' fly pattern thing but was just wondering if you guys have used one and if you had any thoughts about it?

bumble54

Reaction score
There's controversy about the Mop fly is because it is unusual, just as every other fly has raised a few eyebrows in their time. (The Carrot fly, G.E.M.Skues)
Dog Nobblers, Squirmies, Boobies, Muddler minnows, it's not the fly that causes the controversy but how they are generally used and when. here in the UK they are mostly used for stockie bashing and those that use them rarely fish unless the water is freshly stocked, you won't meet them any other time. :boink:
I will admit that I don't/won't use any of them other than the Muddler Minnow (one of the greatest fishing flies ever created IMO) because it doesn't fit in with my kind of fishing, which is imitative and involves a lot of walking/wading to find feeding fish.:tea:
The mop fly looks to me to be an excellent grub pattern (provided it is not glow in the dark knock yer eyeballs out in colour) :jaw:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I've been tying for 52 years and have seen a lot of materials come along that have been used for flies. There's always controversy because everyone has differing opinions on what constitutes a "fly" and "fly fishing".

There was a time in fly fishing history that adding a spinner blade to the line ahead of the fly was readily accepted by some, not so much by others, so controversy over what is tied to the tippet has been a part of this sport as long as the sport has existed. There have been lure companies in the past that produced mini lures intended for fly rods use, and again, accepted by some, not by others. Everyone who fly fishes will not agree on every aspect of what they consider acceptable.

There was a fellow in PA who produced cork bugs some years ago, painted in various colors, some to mimic specific insects, and there was even magazine articles written about them. He called them "corkies" or something similar. They were very popular in PA and some other areas in the east. Thomas & Thomas even had a full color page in their catalog with those bugs included. I made my own versions based on one of the magazine articles. Those little bugs were shaped cork, lashed & glued to a hook and painted, nothing more. They were more like a panfish fly, but the originator used them for trout, and they caught plenty of fish. I used them primarily for panfish, but also caught trout and bass on them. They started a controversy as well, even though cork was a very popular tying material, particularly for bass bugs and poppers.

So far, I've not tied any Mop flies, but have no qualms about them or the material used. To me no different than a myriad other materials that have come along over the years, most of which are produced for other purposes and adopted/adapted to tying. Unless there's a "legal" issue, such that would exclude them by the regulations for the waters being fished or otherwise, that may exclude their use, IMO, nothing wrong with fishing them. We all have our boundaries, so do what you feel is appropriate.
;)

brownbass

Reaction score
If you look at a crane fly or dobsonfly larva you can see some similarity with a Mop fly. We usually call it a cranefly with a wink and a nod. It is the colors that often get the arguments going among fisherman. I have a few in tan but also in caddis green and purple. Though I don't often fish them they will catch fish at times. I tie them on a hook and dub a head behind a bead to sink them and just let them swing. It has been over a year since the last time I tied any and those are still in the box. I try to give them to the new members but it seems that they have already been warned away from the Mop:D

Bill

jayr

Reaction score
Like some of the other posters have said, the mop fly has been/is controversial. Personally, I don’t see it as such but that’s my opinion. I just about bet after the first caveman tied hair on a hook, it was controversial.

My understanding is that it started in western NC, but they may be more lore than truth. I have used them a little bit, but not much as most other nymphs, etc. I have pretty good luck with.

Like some of the others, I have been told it resembles the crane fly larvae sac. To me it also resembles “stick bait” as those here in the southern Appalachians know all too well.

photoguy

Reaction score
Grady sold you mop flies for the Farmington ??
I guess Barnum was right. ;)
I don't want to name any names...but, it did catch a fish! (for my buddy). Mine is still up in a tree somewhere- I never got the chance to get it wet.

First time I'd ever seen or even heard about this fly. Fact is for me, nothing beats casting a dry fly over the ripple of a feeding fish. But, that isn't always the case and while I might start out the day 'pure' I don't always end up that way!

...I'm trying to think what Barnum said...:p

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Call me a “non-purist” if you want...but a tan mop fly with a tungsten bead and a little blue ice dub (combo I made up)....has been successful on the majority of waters I fish. I’ve tried the bright green ones a few times with much less success.

philly

Reaction score
I was introduced to them about a year and a half ago. I had heard of them, even seen one though it was more of a joke fly given to a purist who hangs out at the fly shop I frequent. It was chartreuse and about 5 inches long. They've found a place in my fly boxes. I've caught everything from wild brookies to a 5 lb bass on them. They're deadly on pan fish. Mine range from mini-mops up to 3 1/2 inches long. I've added a floating version and have seen some interesting variations on other boards.

desmobob

Reaction score
I was introduced to them about a year and a half ago. I had heard of them, even seen one though it was more of a joke fly given to a purist who hangs out at the fly shop I frequent. It was chartreuse and about 5 inches long. They've found a place in my fly boxes. I've caught everything from wild brookies to a 5 lb bass on them. They're deadly on pan fish. Mine range from mini-mops up to 3 1/2 inches long. I've added a floating version and have seen some interesting variations on other boards.
5"? 3 1/2"? This sounds like something FAR different than the mop fly I know...

Can you post a photo or two?

Tight lines,
Bob

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Not sure why they’re controversial. They are cranefly and aquatic moth imitators. They catch fish. They’re easy to tie. Like San Juan worms, hare’s ears, and pheasant tails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jspfishing

Reaction score
Never understood the hate, but you have got to have some mops in your box thats for sure. They're excellent as a searching pattern. Especially when its super cold out.

JoJer

Reaction score
If you clip one of the fingers off a car washing fleece hand mop ( where I got my material) you can unravel it and...Wah-la, you've got chenille. Then you can wrap that on a hook and call it a bugger. And lose the little bit of extra movement in the water the mop piece give when you tie it it behind the hook eye. A rose by any other name...

proheli

Reaction score
I saw them for the first time on a drift boat trip on the Tuckasegee, North Carolina, last year. It had been a couple of hours and we didn’t have a fish yet, and I had said hello to a few other guys on the river, no one else had either. I saw a guy off to the side pull in a really good fish, not a flimsy stocker like I had been catching on previous days. I asked him what he was using and he showed me his rig. Two white mop flys, about a foot apart, with an indicator. Props to him for selecting a really nice deep little run, but it was his 4th fish out of that hole on the same rig. Later that afternoon I caught a fish on a mop fly too.

Before I got it I asked myself, if I was a fish would I eat this big ol’ gross larve thingy. Hell yes.

flytie09

Reaction score
I just heard about the mop fly a year or so ago. It looks like many different things just on its own. Caddis larva, cranefly larva, worm, grub, caterpillar, inch worm.......those all easily come to mind. I saw some variations on here that showed some real creativity.

The mop is just not for me. I’ll pass. It’s on par with the worm and egg flies... that just don’t get much love. Many of us have an egg or worm fly hidden in our boxes somewhere. But pull them out reluctantly “on special occasions”.

Why the hate for the mop? To me.....They’re just too easy. I would dare say you could tie one in 30 seconds without trying hard. Really quite amazing how easy it looks.

I’m not fly fishing to go the easy path. There is more to the experience to me than jacking three dozen trout.

The easy counter argument is the zebra midge. I won’t leave home without them and the simplicity is on the same level.

You got me....

jspfishing

Reaction score
I saw them for the first time on a drift boat trip on the Tuckasegee, North Carolina, last year. It had been a couple of hours and we didn’t have a fish yet, and I had said hello to a few other guys on the river, no one else had either. I saw a guy off to the side pull in a really good fish, not a flimsy stocker like I had been catching on previous days. I asked him what he was using and he showed me his rig. Two white mop flys, about a foot apart, with an indicator. Props to him for selecting a really nice deep little run, but it was his 4th fish out of that hole on the same rig. Later that afternoon I caught a fish on a mop fly too.

Before I got it I asked myself, if I was a fish would I eat this big ol’ gross larve thingy. Hell yes.
I had a similar story fishing in WV during a terribly cold storm. The shop said size 26 flies. After getting owned, I saw a local have a great day. He told me when it’s super cold, bigger flies like the mop clean up. Learned three things, mop flies clean up, never trust a fly shop, and how to tie size 22-26 flies. Haha

I just heard about the mop fly a year or so ago. It looks like many different things just on its own. Caddis larva, cranefly larva, worm, grub, caterpillar, inch worm.......those all easily come to mind. I saw some variations on here that showed some real creativity.

The mop is just not for me. I’ll pass. It’s on par with the worm and egg flies... that just don’t get much love. Many of us have an egg or worm fly hidden in our boxes somewhere. But pull them out reluctantly “on special occasions”.

Why the hate for the mop? To me.....They’re just too easy. I would dare say you could tie one in 30 seconds without trying hard. Really quite amazing how easy it looks.

I’m not fly fishing to go the easy path. There is more to the experience to me than jacking three dozen trout.

The easy counter argument is the zebra midge. I won’t leave home without them and the simplicity is on the same level.

You got me....
Haha. I was thinking about zebra midge. Mops probably take me 2 min to tie lol. I do a dub loop on the collar. I understand, I enjoy this sport because of the challenges.

proheli

Reaction score

You got me....
Haha. More and more I just want to fish dry or dry-dropper, but if I'm nymphing pretty much anything goes. If I could drag a big mac a few inches off the bottom I would. :)

Rip Tide

Reaction score
To be clear, I'm not 'hating"on the mop fly, but we're talking about the Farmington here
A tailwater with highly educated fish that get pounded each and every day of the year.

Perhaps it's possible that the mop fly is indeed a real stream sweeper on this river, but in my sceptical mind, I see a shop that's clearing out some less than effective overstock.