Jurassic Rainbows

Meadowlark

Reaction score
From balanced leeches to giant hoppers to mouse patterns all produced rainbow trout over 10 pounds and over 30 inches. This place makes all other rainbow trout spots seem passive by comparison.

We just returned and were told the "big" ones are there later in the season like next April, LOL...any bigger and one would need a winch. Spectacular rainbows, unlike anywhere else in the World I know of.

Very difficult to get there, but the rewards are unbelievable.

Attachments

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Awesome photos, congrats!
Just wondering if you were fishing single hand or two hand rods and what the wind was like while you where there. I know the wind can get pretty bad there.

Meadowlark

Reaction score
Awesome photos, congrats!
Just wondering if you were fishing single hand or two hand rods and what the wind was like while you where there. I know the wind can get pretty bad there.
Thanks for the comments. I used single hand 8wt...didn't take my 2hand but would take it next time. Wind? 30 mph to 60 mph sustained per radio. I looked for places that could block the wind somewhat and always get the wind to my back. The wind was relentless, never stopped 24/7. Most amazing thing I've ever seen. Would not allow hoody or hat or whatever head protection to stay in place, LOL

Attachments

qacwac

Reaction score
Wow. That is almost unbelievable. Did you go on a lodge package or arrange it yourself? This place is about tops on my list, but I'd have to do it on a budget.

Meadowlark

Reaction score
Wow. That is almost unbelievable. Did you go on a lodge package or arrange it yourself? This place is about tops on my list, but I'd have to do it on a budget.
I have to tell you a little story... I've searched for a wild over 30 inch rainbow for probably the last 25 years of my life all across the American West and a lot of trips to Alaska. Got 36 inch steelhead, over 40 inch Kings, etc. but never found a truly big wild rainbow.

Enter Jurassic. My very first cast at Jurassic I hooked a well over 30 inch rainbow and I was so excited that I yelled for net help to anyone within hearing distance, not realizing that EVERY subsequent fish for several days would approach or exceed that first Jurassic rainbow. I was embarrassed and apologized to my partner for bothering him and others but I had just never seen anything like it and didn't know what to expect.

I went with a group of friends, several of which had been there before, and we made our own arrangements. Depending on your air fare, its less $ than a typical trip to Alaska, especially the way Alaska prices have gone recently.

Big wild rainbows....no longer the province of Alaska, for me.

camelbrass

Reaction score
Thanks for this report. It’s very timely in my case as I’m off there at the end of April. Looking forward to it immensely.

One question for now, did you wear full waders or just wader pants?

Regards,

Trevor

Meadowlark

Reaction score
Yes, I wore full waders and a rain jacket...didn't have to have either for the water but they sure helped with the extremely cold wind.

qacwac

Reaction score
Ha. I'm quite sure I would do the exact same thing. I'm still after my 30" trout. I got a 29" brown in NZ and if there had been anyone around I would have been screaming for some help. Almost lost him twice doing it myself.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I used single hand 8wt...didn't take my 2hand but would take it next time. Wind? 30 mph to 60 mph sustained per radio. I looked for places that could block the wind somewhat and always get the wind to my back. The wind was relentless, never stopped 24/7. Most amazing thing I've ever seen. Would not allow hoody or hat or whatever head protection to stay in place, LOL
I've heard that the wind down there can be relentless, that is why I was asking if you were using a two hander. Anyway, you landed some awesome rainbows, congrats!

Last edited:

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
i dont know what's worse down there, the wind or the roads around the lake:p

Hey Meadowlark, where did you stay when you where there? Awesome pics, i have learned many things from this forum but the main thing is I need to step up my picture game.

kev

Meadowlark

Reaction score
The wind is worse...the wind never stops but the roads do. LOL.

We stayed at Jurassic Lake Lodge...may be wrong but it appeared to be the only structure on the entire lake or surrounding area for miles and miles.

The food was great and Argentine wines which they had in abundance were excellent.

Attachments

k_e_v

Reaction score
Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your
Meadowlark,

Estancia Laguna Verde is up on the plateau and is the other full time operation on the lake. They cover a lot of the upper river and the western area of the lake. As the crow flies they are quite close to where you stayed but as you know the roads don’t quite follow straight paths

Regards, kev

Meadowlark

Reaction score
Meadowlark,

Estancia Laguna Verde is up on the plateau and is the other full time operation on the lake. They cover a lot of the upper river and the western area of the lake. As the crow flies they are quite close to where you stayed but as you know the roads don’t quite follow straight paths

Regards, kev
Thanks for that info...didn't know Estancia Laguna Verde was there. I bet that upper river has some great fishing.

chi.fly.guy

Reaction score
WOW! Awesome fish and photos!

A guy I know went to Russia and nabbed a few 30" rainbows while out there. Not sure if I'll ever have enough money in the fishing fund to try either but great to see how much fun there is to be had down there.

Meadowlark

Reaction score
WOW! Awesome fish and photos!

A guy I know went to Russia and nabbed a few 30" rainbows while out there. Not sure if I'll ever have enough money in the fishing fund to try either but great to see how much fun there is to be had down there.
If Jurassic had not worked out, I likely would have gone to Kamchatka next...but I heard the air service from Anchorage has been suspended...and Jurassic did work out!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
If Jurassic had not worked out, I likely would have gone to Kamchatka next...but I heard the air service from Anchorage has been suspended...and Jurassic did work out!
You certainly had an awesome trip, we are all drooling! Thanks for sharing your trip with us.