Waders

Chefchivo

Reaction score
I’m in the market for stocking foot waders for late fall, winter and early spring. What do you all suggest? I’ve done a bit of research but I’ve never been a wader guy. I just always dealt with knee boots and or hip waders. Any insight would be much appreciated.

flytie09

Reaction score
Is this a trick? You live in Bozeman, MT and ask this question? Simms all the way. From their low end to their G4’s theyre all good. Just a matter of what fits your budget. I’d say to save your pennies and get the G3’s. But it’s a lot of coin rolling.

Heck.....Maybe swing by the shop and see if they have any seconds for you to buy. Tour the factory too to see how they’re made.

silver creek

Reaction score
The season does not matter. Buy the best breathables you can afford and use under layers during the winter. Just make sure that that they are roomy enough for the under layers which means wearing the polypro pants and winter layers when you size the waders. Make sure the wader foot and wading boot have enough room with the thicker winter socks so your feet are not constricted.

After you put the wader on, get a chair and make sure you can raise each foot up flat on the chair seat. This will ensure that you have enough room to step up on to river banks and over fence wires, etc.

Go to the Simms factory or call them and see if they sell seconds.

Chefchivo

Reaction score
Is this a trick? You live in Bozeman, MT and ask this question? Simms all the way. From their low end to their G4’s theyre all good. Just a matter of what fits your budget. I’d say to save your pennies and get the G3’s. But it’s a lot of coin rolling.

Heck.....Maybe swing by the shop and see if they have any seconds for you to buy. Tour the factory too to see how they’re made.

Hahahahahaha.....no, it’s no trick. I get a discount there as well from work. I usually always grab Simms products but I’m always wanting to learn more about what’s out there. Like I said.....I grew up in Vermont wearing green lacrosse boots with duct tape wading in icy streams......even though I’ve been fishing for a long time I don’t know a lot about that kind of stuff as I’ve never bought it.

Reaction score
I buy & use Dan Bailey waders. Their shop in Livingston has a nice selection to try on. The shop’s right on Main Street.

flytie09

Reaction score
I hear ya. For anyone that's been fishing a while, they can remember the good ol' sweaty rubber waders and duct tape. For me it was Red Ball....ahhhh the memories. Then it was the 5 mm neoprenes that were a nightmare getting on/off.

Today...the material (GORTEX and other breathable fabrics), seams, reinforcement, and fit in modern breathables are a definite top 10 advancement in our sport.

So you know my vote.....Simms. The rest aren't trash. There are other good manufacturer's like Patagonia, Simms, Dan Bailey and Orvis. But to me they're in a second tier.

For a decade I was burning through a pair every 6 months. I'm not a guide....but this was a good 50-75 days on the water a year. I was frugal and could not see spending $400 on a pair of waders. I tried them all (it seems) Hodgman, Redington, Albright, Cloudveil, Orvis, LL Bean and without fail...they all ending up leaking prematurely in my mind. Some I patched, some I sent back for warranty only to have another random leaker in short order. When you're steelhead fishing in below freezing weather.......you can only tolerate so much.

I bought a pair of Simms Headwaters 5 years ago....and they're still ticking. A couple minor wader patch jobs......but it's to be expected when dancing with barbed wire and thorns. The front pouch design is a little be be desired in the model I have.......but that's inconsequential.

Do they fit well? Can I hike long distances with good mobility and without being in agony? And most importantly........do they leak? These are my selection criteria.

plecain

Reaction score
I've tried Orvis, Simms, LLBean, Cabelas and Redington.

The best ones for me have been Redington. I'm going on four years on their Sonic-Dry. I have yet to have to patch even one leak. I beat these things, too. They're also comfortable when I walk in 2-3 miles to fish.

LLBean have been the worst. I never got a full season out of them. This was back in the 'lifetime guarantee' days, so they replaced them, but that's not much help when you're suffering in the cold and wet.

JoJer

Reaction score
A lot of anglers who are "of an age" are thrilled with the waders with the zipper. Especially in winter, saves you having to shuck everything off.

Chefchivo

Reaction score
At the lodge I get pro deals from Simms, Sage, Redington, Patagonia and Orvis. That’s why I was curious. I know a lot of guys are brand loyal and for good reason. I get to play around with some cool stuff but have yet to dive into the wader scene so I’m excited to see how this goes. We have a Patagonia and Simms wader event this Saturday for women. I’ll chat with a few of the reps and get some more ideas.

Reaction score
Living in Bozeman you may fish waters in the Park, in which case you’ll need rubber rather than felt soles. I bought a pair of Korkers with the interchangeable soles. So far I’ve just used them for the rubber and have not switched them. I prefer my Orvis boots & still use them when not in the park. I think I bought the Korkers at Trouthunters fly shop in Bozeman.

flytie09

Reaction score
How about boots? What do you all suggest?
Again......I like Simms products. I've drank the Kool Aid. Their fit, durability, and warranty are excellent. I have 2x pairs of the older lace up style Simms Headwaters with the "sticky rubber" sole. One is a size up from the other for winter / summer to allow for extra room for heavier wool socks. I also have a pair of the newer rubber soled G4s with the Boa quick laces. I've not used them...but I figured I'd give them a try. There products hold up so well.....I haven't worn anything else besides these 6 yr old headwater boots.

I like rubber soles as felt just doesn't grip well on the river bottoms I fish. And they're no good when walking in snow or mud. I'll simply pair them with the strap on Korker Rocktrax cleats when I need extra grip. Adds to weight....but they work well and the carbide studs last forever. A must have for rocks covered in didymo or wading in swift current.

Korker boots.....I do like the versatility of the removable soles. I had several of the first gen boots where the glue separated and the soles blew off. I tried gorilla gluing them...but it didn't hold. I swore off Korker boots for years after this poor adhesive flaw.

I gave them a second chance with the new Chromer. Apparently they're addressed the adhesive.....we shall see. I hope so as it's a great concept and comfortable boot.

I also have a pair of Patagonia Rockgrip boots. They are light, well made and offer excellent grip with the aluminum bars. However, I wore these once on a trip to the Deschutes and I was in agony. I walked a good 5-6 miles over 2 days and it was not an enjoyable trip. They are extremely stiff and tight around the ankle. A common feedback by many.

I made a few errors that day that I will not repeat again with any boot. First was I wore shorts....this is a no-no. And secondly I wore very light ankle socks. I will try them again with pants and taller wool socks and try to break these puppies in.

I hope this helps.

bentty

Reaction score
No new information from me, but I will second the waders with a zipper front for those of us that fish long days. Mine are Redington and I found them on Amazon with no packaging (cheap).
I'm also a fan of the Korkers. I use rubber tread when hiking through snow or mud, but I absolutely love the studded felt soles any other time. The studded felts do not come with the boots, but are worth the money IMHO.

brownbass

Reaction score
I like my Redington Sonic Pros. I fished in them for 4 years now and I am considering the new Sonic HD's with the zipper. I have used the Simms boots and like the wide width and fit but I bought some Korker Darkhorse and bought the Vibram soles w/ carbide studs for a little more grip. I have been happy with Redington as I punctured and ripped the waders and sent them back. Redington patched them up and I haven't had any issues since.

Bill

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Based on your choice of username are you a chef? If so I'd ask what kind / brand of knives you own? I have a set of Henckels, the classic design, they are 22 years old and I've have never regretted buying them. Granted there is no actual comparison between kitchen knives and fishing waders intended in what I just said but unless we were to look to price and quality issues. I'm done recommending waders by brand, it seems that there are too many choices and all the sellers have a top of their line that someone will hold in high regard. My advice is to go to the fly shops in Bozeman and touch them, try some on, consider the service offered with each brand and then by the product you perceive as the best quality.

If you have a lodge discount that you participate in then this is coming down to your perception of quality and service and not just price. BTW. I use the Simms G4 wader ;)

Chefchivo

Reaction score
Hi,

Based on your choice of username are you a chef? If so I'd ask what kind / brand of knives you own? I have a set of Henckels, the classic design, they are 22 years old and I've have never regretted buying them. Granted there is no actual comparison between kitchen knives and fishing waders intended in what I just said but unless we were to look to price and quality issues. I'm done recommending waders by brand, it seems that there are too many choices and all the sellers have a top of their line that someone will hold in high regard. My advice is to go to the fly shops in Bozeman and touch them, try some on, consider the service offered with each brand and then by the product you perceive as the best quality.

If you have a lodge discount that you participate in then this is coming down to your perception of quality and service and not just price. BTW. I use the Simms G4 wader ;)

I am sir. I’m the executive chef at the Gallatin River Lodge. Knife of choice.....well, that depends on the job. Normal chefs knife I run an 8” Tojiro and an 8.5” MAC Pro. I use both single and double bevels with my boning knives, Tojiro pairing knife, Masahiro petty knife, i still love my old victorinox fibrox handle boning and utility knives for breaking down hogs, lambs, deer and elk.

Yes for me on quality. I’m not a guy that has to have the latest and greatest at all. I do like quality and durability. I beat the **** out of my hunting and fishing gear so I tend to lean more to the bombproof stuff rather than the most ultralight, the next best thing...etc.

Chefchivo

Reaction score
I will also add that these will mainly be for winter and early spring. I normally wear shorts as soon as I can tolerate the water. My work schedule also keeps me at bay more than I would like so overall use won’t be as much as most of you all. I’m not sure if that makes a huge difference or not but I’m just wanting to get something I won’t have to worry about leaking and durability.