Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waders

Default Waders

Iím in the market for stocking foot waders for late fall, winter and early spring. What do you all suggest? Iíve done a bit of research but Iíve never been a wader guy. I just always dealt with knee boots and or hip waders. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Waders

Is this a trick? You live in Bozeman, MT and ask this question? Simms all the way. From their low end to their G4’s theyre all good. Just a matter of what fits your budget. I’d say to save your pennies and get the G3’s. But it’s a lot of coin rolling.

Heck.....Maybe swing by the shop and see if they have any seconds for you to buy. Tour the factory too to see how they’re made.

ďIf I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.Ē
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

3. Likes City Rat liked this post

The season does not matter. Buy the best breathables you can afford and use under layers during the winter. Just make sure that that they are roomy enough for the under layers which means wearing the polypro pants and winter layers when you size the waders. Make sure the wader foot and wading boot have enough room with the thicker winter socks so your feet are not constricted.

After you put the wader on, get a chair and make sure you can raise each foot up flat on the chair seat. This will ensure that you have enough room to step up on to river banks and over fence wires, etc.

Go to the Simms factory or call them and see if they sell seconds.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

5. Likes smilingduck, JoJer liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
    Is this a trick? You live in Bozeman, MT and ask this question? Simms all the way. From their low end to their G4’s theyre all good. Just a matter of what fits your budget. I’d say to save your pennies and get the G3’s. But it’s a lot of coin rolling.

Heck.....Maybe swing by the shop and see if they have any seconds for you to buy. Tour the factory too to see how they’re made.

Hahahahahaha.....no, it’s no trick. I get a discount there as well from work. I usually always grab Simms products but I’m always wanting to learn more about what’s out there. Like I said.....I grew up in Vermont wearing green lacrosse boots with duct tape wading in icy streams......even though I’ve been fishing for a long time I don’t know a lot about that kind of stuff as I’ve never bought it.

7. Likes flytie09 liked this post

I'll pitch Hodgeman H4's. I've been very happy with mine. Good luck in what you choose!
    Wallace

Detroit Lakes, Minnesota and Bozeman, Montana

I buy & use Dan Bailey waders. Their shop in Livingston has a nice selection to try on. The shop’s right on Main Street.

I hear ya. For anyone that's been fishing a while, they can remember the good ol' sweaty rubber waders and duct tape. For me it was Red Ball....ahhhh the memories. Then it was the 5 mm neoprenes that were a nightmare getting on/off.

Today...the material (GORTEX and other breathable fabrics), seams, reinforcement, and fit in modern breathables are a definite top 10 advancement in our sport.

So you know my vote.....Simms. The rest aren't trash. There are other good manufacturer's like Patagonia, Simms, Dan Bailey and Orvis. But to me they're in a second tier.

For a decade I was burning through a pair every 6 months. I'm not a guide....but this was a good 50-75 days on the water a year. I was frugal and could not see spending $400 on a pair of waders. I tried them all (it seems) Hodgman, Redington, Albright, Cloudveil, Orvis, LL Bean and without fail...they all ending up leaking prematurely in my mind. Some I patched, some I sent back for warranty only to have another random leaker in short order. When you're steelhead fishing in below freezing weather.......you can only tolerate so much.

I bought a pair of Simms Headwaters 5 years ago....and they're still ticking. A couple minor wader patch jobs......but it's to be expected when dancing with barbed wire and thorns. The front pouch design is a little be be desired in the model I have.......but that's inconsequential.

Do they fit well? Can I hike long distances with good mobility and without being in agony? And most importantly........do they leak? These are my selection criteria.

ďIf I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.Ē
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

I've tried Orvis, Simms, LLBean, Cabelas and Redington.

The best ones for me have been Redington. I'm going on four years on their Sonic-Dry. I have yet to have to patch even one leak. I beat these things, too. They're also comfortable when I walk in 2-3 miles to fish.

LLBean have been the worst. I never got a full season out of them. This was back in the 'lifetime guarantee' days, so they replaced them, but that's not much help when you're suffering in the cold and wet.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Paul

12. Likes flytie09 liked this post

A lot of anglers who are "of an age" are thrilled with the waders with the zipper. Especially in winter, saves you having to shuck everything off.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

14. Likes photoguy, Ard liked this post

At the lodge I get pro deals from Simms, Sage, Redington, Patagonia and Orvis. That’s why I was curious. I know a lot of guys are brand loyal and for good reason. I get to play around with some cool stuff but have yet to dive into the wader scene so I’m excited to see how this goes. We have a Patagonia and Simms wader event this Saturday for women. I’ll chat with a few of the reps and get some more ideas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast