What are you using to insulate your hands from the cold?

smudger564

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm trying to find out how you guys keep your hands warm, in the cold temperatures you fish in?

You experience more temperature variation during the winter, than we do in the UK.

I am running a thread on Sealskinz Gloves at the moment, so info from this could prove valuable to me, as an addition to what we are using at present.

Any guys who Ice Fish too, what are you using?

I'm a big believer in, "Any fool can be cold", but why get to that point, to start with?

Any help on this would be brilliant.

Best Regards

Stuart:)

goldentrout

Reaction score
For fly fishing I like fingerless gloves like these. You can also search this site for mittens, some of which I have used and work good for things like ice fishing or horseback riding.
FINGERLESS RAGG WOOL THINSULATE LINED GLOVES.

I also have these fingerless gloves. Alaska River gloves. They work really well and are less bulky that the above mentioned ones. Haven't tried the wind proof fleece mittens, but as good as the gloves work I'm sure they would be nice and toasty.
I really like the neoprene gloves for warmth and they are waterproof. When I'm spending my time stripping big egg sucking leeches through a lake in winter and not changing flies much, neoprene gloves work great.
Products - Fishing

Hope this helps! :D

O

okuma

I use fingerless thin fleece gloves in the cold and if needed, I carry a hand warmer pack in my pocket

ant

Reaction score
I use woolen fingerless gloves, that have a mitten part that flaps over my fingers. That way I can keep my fingers warm with the mitten, but if I need to tie a know can flip it back and have access to my fingers.

Reaction score
I know I'm a new guy too this Board but I have been around many forums.

This topic is a sticky wicket for sure.

Gloves and fish slime.Unless your harvesting your catch,I would highly recommend Non absorbent gloves.

Or if you remove your absorbent gloves prior to handling your catch,Your doing the fish and fellow anglers a favor.

Most of the rivers I fish are C&R The rules in Colorado state the fish must be returned to the water immediately.

I wish it said unharmed and immediately. I cant tell you how many fish I've seen in spring and mid summer,that have finger and thumb prints on them from the previous winters

battles with man.

Tail rot and skin rot on a trophy's makes me sad on several different levels.

1. For the fish, what a horrible way to suffer as parasites eat away at your skin & flesh. Ethical and humane were words from a recent C&R thread.

Most of the fish I see, that have been damaged by mishandling, live in slack and back water eddy's trying to stay up right to grab the slightest morsel's that pass.All are dying and just waiting for that

last gasp if you will.

2 For the future angler that missed out on such an amazing creature.Uneducated anglers create the problem but they fish where I fish so it has become my problem.

I saw a book the other day.The author of the book uses a bright colored bandanna to knuckle his fish.I couldn't believe it.

My son recently presented me with a pair of Sims fingerless retractable mittens..I've used them once so far but removed them prior to handling my catch.

This removal has a two fold purpose..One keeps the glove dry,two leaves the fish unscathed.

I was very comfortable in the winter with an "Old Electricians" trick I being the Old Electrician..

The use of latex gloves and those tiny jersey wool type gloves.

1st apply a pair of latex..traps the heat in your hand

2nd apply jersey/stretchy type... keeps your rubber covered hand warm

3rd apply 2nd layer of latex..keeps the cloth dry and provides a semi tacky surface so you can manipulate line and reel.

This method works. Keeps you warm,you don't have to remove gloves and protects that ever crucial layer of slime on our finned friends.

Just my 2 cents worth

smudger564

Reaction score
Hi, Some good points, put across very nicely, Dang Old King. On the UK flyforums, the main thing to come out of all this so far is, use Latex gloves as an under glove. If your allergic use Nitrile.

They give a thin layer of insulation to the skin from the cold wind and prevent to much evaporation of moisture. The over glove, if you will, is to prevent the cold from seeping in.

There are fish that have been damaged by bad handling, the world over. People just need a little education, in release methods, ie, respect for ones quarry. Good handling techniques, allow Trophy Fish to remain Trophies. These are after all, someone else's fish too?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Best Regards

Reaction score
Hi, Some good points, put across very nicely, Dang Old King. On the UK flyforums, the main thing to come out of all this so far is, use Latex gloves as an under glove. If your allergic use Nitrile.

They give a thin layer of insulation to the skin from the cold wind and prevent to much evaporation of moisture. The over glove, if you will, is to prevent the cold from seeping in.

There are fish that have been damaged by bad handling, the world over. People just need a little education, in release methods, ie, respect for ones quarry. Good handling techniques, allow Trophy Fish to remain Trophies. These are after all, someone else's fish too?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Best Regards

I never thought of latex allergies but they do exist..Good point Stuart and thanks of the positive feed back.

I don't get that often..People usually scream and rant at me..LOL

Steve

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
I use the finger less fleece gloves too until it gets real cold-- then i switch to slit finger Glacier Gloves -- (I still use an older model of what is now the Pro Angler, but bought before it had a fleece liner) Products - Fishing

The slit fingers help with line handling, and the neoprene gloves keep your hands pretty toasty, even deep wading where your hands are always getting dunked.

If you check around you can sometimes find good deals on price.

ghostdncr

Reaction score
I use a pair of wool fingerless gloves from Scotland I got probably fifteen+ years ago. Tough as nails and warm even when wet. I also have a pair of the fingerless long-cuff gloves with the mitten flaps, but it's generally iced over around here when it gets cold enough to warrant those.

Excellent point raised earlier about slime injuries. I notice the older I get, the more conscious of this I become and tend to try unhooking to-be-released fish underwater. The wool really shines there, as it continues to insulate even when wet.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
wool fingerless for fly fishing...not too thick with long cuffs
poly or cotton liners and latex dishwashing gloves for icefishing

:yikes:

Mostyn

Reaction score
I know I'm a new guy too this Board but I have been around many forums.

This topic is a sticky wicket for sure.

Gloves and fish slime.Unless your harvesting your catch,I would highly recommend Non absorbent gloves.

Or if you remove your absorbent gloves prior to handling your catch,Your doing the fish and fellow anglers a favor.

Most of the rivers I fish are C&R The rules in Colorado state the fish must be returned to the water immediately.

I wish it said unharmed and immediately. I cant tell you how many fish I've seen in spring and mid summer,that have finger and thumb prints on them from the previous winters

battles with man.

Tail rot and skin rot on a trophy's makes me sad on several different levels.

1. For the fish, what a horrible way to suffer as parasites eat away at your skin & flesh. Ethical and humane were words from a recent C&R thread.

Most of the fish I see, that have been damaged by mishandling, live in slack and back water eddy's trying to stay up right to grab the slightest morsel's that pass.All are dying and just waiting for that

last gasp if you will.

2 For the future angler that missed out on such an amazing creature.Uneducated anglers create the problem but they fish where I fish so it has become my problem.

I saw a book the other day.The author of the book uses a bright colored bandanna to knuckle his fish.I couldn't believe it.

My son recently presented me with a pair of Sims fingerless retractable mittens..I've used them once so far but removed them prior to handling my catch.

This removal has a two fold purpose..One keeps the glove dry,two leaves the fish unscathed.

I was very comfortable in the winter with an "Old Electricians" trick I being the Old Electrician..

The use of latex gloves and those tiny jersey wool type gloves.

1st apply a pair of latex..traps the heat in your hand

2nd apply jersey/stretchy type... keeps your rubber covered hand warm

3rd apply 2nd layer of latex..keeps the cloth dry and provides a semi tacky surface so you can manipulate line and reel.

This method works. Keeps you warm,you don't have to remove gloves and protects that ever crucial layer of slime on our finned friends.

Just my 2 cents worth
Hi D O K,

I'm from the UK. I like the post you submitted above; and I believe we should all take note of it while out fishing and handling fish! I'm sure the above post would be appreciated on the UK, forum!! Could you repeat it on : flyfishingforums.co.uk Thanks

Mostyn

roryseiter

Reaction score
I got some Flip Mitts from Galcier Gloves. They are amazing. I take them off for the grip and grin so they don't get water and fish slime on them. Other than that, my hands are warm all of the time. Even in below freezing temperatures.

Reaction score
I got some Flip Mitts from Galcier Gloves. They are amazing. I take them off for the grip and grin so they don't get water and fish slime on them. Other than that, my hands are warm all of the time. Even in below freezing temperatures.
BULLY BULLY my friend..Love the term "Grip and Grin"..get them wet ..whats the point of wearing them.. good move Sir!:army:

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Hi D O K,

I'm from the UK. I like the post you submitted above; and I believe we should all take note of it while out fishing and handling fish! I'm sure the above post would be appreciated on the UK, forum!! Could you repeat it on : flyfishingforums.co.uk Thanks

Mostyn
You can use anything I say anytime you want Brother Fisher!
If it helps use it!!!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I worked every winter for more than a decade on the ice of Lake of the Woods, for fisheries on a snowmobile. It is nothing to see 20 below zero here. I have been out many times at 30 below. The best thing I ever found was a real thin set of silver woven mylar gloves. I wore them under my regular gloves. If your hands were warm when you put them on, they stayed warm. I finally wore out the last pair I had. I have not seen them around in a few years, but if you can find them they are the best things around. Get a fairly tight fitting pair and wear them under whatever you normally wear. They really work. If you can find them let me know where. I have Ice Armor gloves now and they do a pretty good job. The best outer gloves ever were a leather pair of Polaris snowmobile gloves. Spendy but they worked really well. I don't think you can get those anymore either.

silvertip8k

Reaction score
Hello Folks...I am following DOK from another place we have posted for quite a while......I signed up here a year ago...but am a brand new poster here...

What DOK is writing is very important stuff for those that Love C&R...when its cold out a lot of anglers let down their guard where they normally wouldnt ...but the fish still need the care just as much...

I hate gloves...and it seems the fleece type fishing gloves that do keep you warm even when they get a little wet are like super velcro for flies( like the simms fleece jobbies)...especially smaller flies , talk about some tangles !

what I do nowadays when releasing I trys to keep my catch in my rubber net(you know the kind...no mesh, soft rubber bag) I bend the bag shut, containing the fish and try and keep the fish sumberged along the shorline without rubbing it on rocks or sand etc...then w/ my free hand I remove the hook with my forceps...pinching the barbs can make this a lot easier...which isnt a bad idea anyway...

this technique took me a while to actually master...several of the ranches I worked on take proper ( and gentle) releasing technique extremely serious...unfortunately at even some of the most famous C&R streams all over some folks think simply letting go a fish and not taking it home for dinner accomplishes the mission intended...nothing could be further from the truth...

with the method I described I dont even think about the cold...that is untill I have to tie on a size 22 w/ 5X...no cures I know of for that except pre-tying up my dropper rigs at home in front of the stove the night before...LOL...

to happy fish and warm finger tips...

all the best...ted

smudger564

Reaction score
Hi All, Sorry, but I need to wear something, to combat the cold. I don't see the problem with covering up, after all, anyone can be uncomfortable.

Finding the right glove is going to take some time, I think, but thanks for the feedback so far.

Best Regards

webrx

Reaction score
Fingerless wool for me, with a handwarmer in my pocket if needed. I do my best to not touch the fish, net it, take a pic in the net, forceps to take the fly out, put it back in the water.

When I first started out and didn't know any better, I posted a couple pics of a nice fish laying on the rocks and I got some good advice from this forum about how to better handle fish. The above is what I have come to now, and I try to do this regardless of the time of year. I figure the less handling of the fish the better.

just my .02

d